iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

couple pics... post what your currently cutting

Started by RunningRoot, January 27, 2015, 08:41:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken

I will be happy to be off this mountain.  The harvester has been cutting his strips up and down the hill and we are having to load going down the strips and get to the one spot where we can get back up the hill.  Makes for a long day.  Decent wood but hard to get.  The picture does not do it justice

Lots of toys for working in the bush

Ed_K

My productive day mounted to 2 beech cordwood 22'. Pulled up 2 b/birch and unhooked backed around a big oak hooked the 2 beech,pulled ahead to get the b/birch and the winch wouldn't release  >:( .Went to the landing pulled the side cover and found half of the brake band under the other half  :( . Oh, well I got 8yrs out of it  :o .
Ed K

treeslayer2003

Quote from: teakwood on June 25, 2016, 12:14:33 PM
Quote from: treeslayer2003 on June 24, 2016, 11:51:30 PM
Quote from: BargeMonkey on June 24, 2016, 10:53:31 PM
Sharpened the knives the other day, the previous owner had welded in strips for debarking with little lugs and it works good but don't grab something with a big bell because when you reach back watch out. I'm cutting alot of junk lowgrade and smaller stuff, it's almost sad what used to take me 3-4 days with a saw and cable skidder I do in an afternoon now. I've really tried to watch how these big operations in Maine do it and you can crank some wood out. I had that delimber sold to a "friend" of Coxy's  :D :D :D and I'm glad now I didnt. I don't want to brag to hard but I have exactly 0.00 dollars tied up in it.  ;D
The sickness of mechanical logging.  :D. I've got a woodsplitter to pay for and after that I'm hunting down a chipper and 3 axle log trailer. Slashed till I ran out of light tonight, got more wood than I can handle and about ready to finally quit tugboating.  ;D   finally got the last permit I lacked on the store so that's getting close to putting the building up, divorce #2 is my biggest headache right now.  :D :D :D
divorce 2 at 32? you are just a little more hard headed than i am lol

between Boat, logging and quarrys and i cuote :   Never underestimate a man who is hungry and willing to work a true 15hrs a day, you think that man has some hours left for a wife????  smiley_huh no_no Young girls from now a day wont put up with that anymore.

A free tip from me barge: If you dont want a third divorce, the hell stop getting maried!! :D :D
well yeah thats what what i was eluding to in a round about way.......i see i am not the only one. maybe its a logger thing. i do have a good one now but not legally married.

barbender

Ken, pictures never do hills justice, do they? It makes for a long day of forwarding when you're running in big hills, especially with the 2 bunks of 8' wood we are typically handling. It is really tough getting the wood to lay in the bunks rigbt, and not fall off of the machine. I like the challenge of skidding hills, but it doesn't take long to get old.
Too many irons in the fire

barbender

Nice fat load of 9' red pine bolts. This is (I think) a natural stand of pine, probably about 100 years old. Really nice wood.

coxy

do you use the loader to keep them from falling off  ;D

barbender

Ken

Quote from: barbender on June 25, 2016, 11:00:47 PM
    Nice fat load of 9' red pine bolts. This is (I think) a natural stand of pine, probably about 100 years old. Really nice wood.

Nice load on the ponsse.  Piles add up really fast with that stuff or so I'm told.  I wouldn't know as I never get to cut anything that nice.

chevytaHOE5674

Must be pretty smooth and flat ground to keep that red pine stacked on the bunk ;D. Job we are on now is a steep enough hill that there are areas you can barely make it up and down, add in lots of little humps and bumps my forwarder guy has been running mostly 1/2 loads to keep from having them all fall off on the way out of the woods.  :D

barbender

I don't usually stack it that high, that load didn't come from very far off of the landing. And yes, Red pine like that piles up quickly. I tend to have a lot of long skids on my jobs, so I do try to round it up and get a good load on- but I don't go slamming through the woods either. I figure if I'm hurting, so is the machine ;)

coxy

Quote from: barbender on June 26, 2016, 04:13:35 PM
     I figure if I'm hurting, so is the machine ;)
you are only the 3rd person that I have ever heard say that   my dad was the 1st

Stephen Alford

Enjoy this thread , great to see what you folks are up to.  Space for a landing is always at a premium.  The farmers I work for are great but seem predisposed to plant..."stuff"   :D

This is the landing from last winter once I got it cleaned up.  Worked out good as the next landing is in the far corner.

No room to pile so haul it after the "chop and drop"

Couple twitches.

Out to the landing.

Haul it to the woodyard.

Off to its new home.  Keep chuggin along !!   :)
logon

BargeMonkey

I would like to see a video or more pictures of your processor someday if you had more time, that's a dual vertical splitter ?
No wood for me. Hopefully they get my logs from last week picked up. Stuck at anchor for another 4-5 days minimum. Doesn't break my heart.  :D

Its "body season" in NY harbor, lots of lights and excitement last night because one showed up by the statue. Had one last summer in Erie Basin, was a guy off Wall Street tied up with zip ties and duct tape, I suspect he didn't make some good choices in life. Got to love Brooklyn.  :D :D :D

tule peak timber

flotsam and jetsam , I remember the term from my license exam . :D
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

coxy

Quote from: BargeMonkey on June 30, 2016, 09:18:12 AM
I would like to see a video or more pictures of your processor someday if you had more time, that's a dual vertical splitter ?
No wood for me. Hopefully they get my logs from last week picked up. Stuck at anchor for another 4-5 days minimum. Doesn't break my heart.  :D

Its "body season" in NY harbor, lots of lights and excitement last night because one showed up by the statue. Had one last summer in Erie Basin, was a guy off Wall Street tied up with zip ties and duct tape, I suspect he didn't make some good choices in life. Got to love Brooklyn.  :D :D :D
come on now barge  don't say that to loud  they will be banning zip ties and duct tape next  :D :D :D :D :D :D

BargeMonkey

Quote from: coxy on June 30, 2016, 05:49:33 PM
Quote from: BargeMonkey on June 30, 2016, 09:18:12 AM

come on now barge  don't say that to loud  they will be banning zip ties and duct tape next  :D :D :D :D :D :D
I've got a pile of logging pictures and other forestry stuff and can't get half of it to load.  >:(
The running joke in the GOM was 100% of the guys found floating had their zipper down. Half where going over the side, the other half where pushed. The "joke" on our boat was the term "shackle necklace". Almost wasn't a joke between 2 guys for about 1yr. A piece of 3/4 line and a 40ton shackle at 2am 150NM offshore no one's going to save you. 

At least she is working today.  :D 

Stephen Alford

Hey Barge Monkey, sorry about taking so long to respond. Had to learn how to take a video then upload. Hope this works. If it does it is a 6" dia red maple 8' long.
https://youtu.be/cIi5-Ze2vMU
logon

Puffergas

Hey, that works better than my chomper! 😀
Someone is always thinking.
Jeff
Somewhere 20 miles south of Lake Erie.

GEHL 5624 skid steer, Trojan 114, Timberjack 225D, D&L SB1020 mill, Steiger Bearcat II

BargeMonkey

For doing pole wood / smaller diameter stuff I don't see how you can go wrong, just ran with a small hydraulic power unit ? Nice video, like seeing other guys operations.

Puffergas

Jeff

GEHL 5624 skid steer, Trojan 114, Timberjack 225D, D&L SB1020 mill, Steiger Bearcat II

1270d

Does your skidder run on the gasifier alone?

Ken

Quote from: Puffergas on July 05, 2016, 10:43:43 PM
Not much of an operation but here goes it.

Puffergas
That is a cool looking unit.  Would love to see it in motion

BargeMonkey

Neat looking machine, I watched the video 5-6x trying to figure out exactly "how" ??? It was powered. Never seen one like that before, looks handy.

Puffergas

Quote from: 1270d on July 06, 2016, 06:57:44 AM
Does your skidder run on the gasifier alone?

Yes, only charcoal gasifier fueled. The big saw logs were twitched with the skid steer. I'll get a video of it in motion a bit later.
Jeff

Puffergas

Jeff

Thank You Sponsors!