iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

couple pics... post what your currently cutting

Started by RunningRoot, January 27, 2015, 08:41:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken

Quote from: 1270d on December 09, 2016, 05:33:45 AM
You can see waves in the ground as you move the machine around.   8)

This parcel is not quite that soft but you certainly have to be cautious.  Very hard to get the stumps low enough to get the forwarder through easily.  Here is picture of a load of 8' cedar shinglewood and 6' saw stock.  You can see some of the spruce on the block behind the cedar.  The spruce is very nice but only found on the slightly higher drier areas.

Lots of toys for working in the bush

barbender

Ken, I'm glad to see you guys know how to mound up a load ;)
Too many irons in the fire

David-L

Merry Christmas all. Cutting Red Oak and Pine on this huge lot. 650MBF of hardwood and pine to go, lots of cordwood too. Should be here till I retire or my body gives out.

In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

barbender

The BuffaloKing in front of a stand of old growth white cedar. We cut all the other species on this block and reserved the cedar.

We had a discussion a while ago about balsam fir, and how much the quality of it can vary by site. This site had very good balsam, some of the butts where pushing 20" and still sound. Actually, all of the species on this site were very good quality- Birch, aspen, balsam, Balm of Gilead,  and a bit of white spruce.

coxy

not to sound dumb but what the    is balm of gilead  ??? :-\

barbender

Haha! I figured I might get that question, coxy!  A member of the Aspen/Willow/Cottonwood family I think, Balm of Gilead is also known as Balmy, Bam, Balsam Poplar and Black Poplar. It sometimes grows in pure stands, but is often found mixed with aspen on the margins of wet areas, and also scattered around other wet sites. I have also seen a lot of it on abandoned mine lands around here. Some paper mills use a bit of it, Sappi takes a lot of it that they use in their cellulosic fiber production. It is strictly a pulpwood species. When growing with aspen, it can be hard to distinguish from aspen in the smaller diameters.

chevytaHOE5674

Balm is easy to distinguish around here by the smell alone. Haha

Gearbox

His boss won't let him get out and smell each stick . Two Harbors GP will take 20% mixed in with aspen .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

chevytaHOE5674

When I get into a batch of it I can smell it in the cab of the processor.... :D

barbender

It does stink. The worst place to try to distinguish it from aspen is often in the old slash windrows in pine plantations. Often the processor operators have the two processed into the same pile, so I know it's not just me. If it's going to UPM, then NO BALMY! It's fun trying to sort out a half of cord of 4" balmy and aspen mixed together.

Ken

Quote from: David-L on December 24, 2016, 07:21:01 AM
Merry Christmas all. Cutting Red Oak and Pine on this huge lot. 650MBF of hardwood and pine to go, lots of cordwood too. Should be here till I retire or my body gives out.

That is one nice looking Jack and the timber is very nice as well

Quote from: barbender on December 24, 2016, 10:10:03 AM
The BuffaloKing in front of a stand of old growth white cedar. We cut all the other species on this block and reserved the cedar.
We had a discussion a while ago about balsam fir, and how much the quality of it can vary by site. This site had very good balsam, some of the butts where pushing 20" and still sound.

Why is the cedar being left?  I have some very nice fir and spruce to cut later in January.  Many of those will be pushing 20" and solid.

barbender

Ken, here on the fringe of the white cedar range, cedar is usually reserved for wildlife, especially as thermal cover for deer. The cedar is unable to regrow because the deer eat all the seedlings. So I guess we protect it for the deer because we can't protect it from the deer :) ::) As you get farther north into the state, forest managers cut a little more cedar. We did cut as much of this as we needed for access, and I might try to buy some of it if I can get it cheap. There are some decent saw logs for cedar, the problem is here decent cedar would barely make a hardwood saw log.

g_man

I just had to take some pictures. I cut a Balsam Fir of a life time yesterday.  :D  It is alright to laugh. I know it is not a glory species but I spend a lot of time cutting them. Fir is what I have to work with. I have never come close to cutting one this nice. Most have butt rot and any big ones always had butt rot. This one looked clean, no big butt flare or bulges and hollows. Sounded solid. No woodpecker holes. Nice size - 17" DBH

It turned out solid. Here is the first log.

This is what is left above the first log. Note the stump to the left and behind.  It is typical. I cut 7-1/2 feet of rot off the butt of that one. You can see some of the pieces.

Here is the second and third logs

It was 20" at the stump and I got six 10 footers out of it for 320 BF Int. I know it is not a huge tree even for fir but I have never come close to a 300bf fir tree. I don't think I gotten a 200 footer and I have cut several bigger  in diameter than this one. I just had to show it off.  ;D

gg

coxy

that's a pretty nice tree   8)   is that all you cut is the fir  looks like you have a lot of young white birch coming in does it ever get big enough to cut  around here it only get 8-12in on the stump and dies off if they do get bigger they look like most of your fir  just like here no frost in the ground  only on the main trail

newoodguy78

That's a dandy for sure  8). The second to last pic looks like a telephone pole with bark on it  :D :D.

barbender

78NHTFY

Well done g_man!  $300 Christmas Tree? ;D  All the best, Rob.
If you have time, you win....

g_man

Quote from: 78NHTFY on December 29, 2016, 03:41:46 PM
Well done g_man!  $300 Christmas Tree? ;D  All the best, Rob.

Thanks, Well close.. ;D...... 320 BF makes it a $100 Christmas tree up here.

gg

Ken

Quote from: g_man on December 28, 2016, 07:40:44 PM
I just had to take some pictures. I cut a Balsam Fir of a life time yesterday.  :D  It is alright to laugh. I know it is not a glory species but I spend a lot of time cutting them. Fir is what I have to work with. I have never come close to cutting one this nice. Most have butt rot and any big ones always had butt rot. This one looked clean, no big butt flare or bulges and hollows. Sounded solid. No woodpecker holes. Nice size - 17" DBH

I noticed on one of the pictures that you were using a snatch block to save some of your smaller trees when winching in the nice fir butt log.  Shows how much care and attention you pay to your property.  Nice job
Cheers
Ken

chevytaHOE5674

Let's see if this works. Was bored yesterday and work and took some video of our old processor hacking down some hardwood pulp.
https://youtu.be/D31sH8asjSY
https://youtu.be/nErzoeGbmQA

1270d

snowstorm

chevytaHOE5674

They are just the normal old Oregon bars. Last I heard they didn't make the new style for the old mount on this machine. Not sure what bar I prefer they each have their positives and negatives, but these are the easiest to aquire so that's what I usually run.

Ron Scott

Well done! Nice professional processor operation doing clean work with good wood utilization and slash management.
~Ron

barbender

I'm on a mixed Black Spruce Balmy Lowland Hardwood site. The birch in here is the most twisted stuff I hve ever hauled on the forwarder. The kind of stuff where a straight stick makes more of a mess because it doesn't fit into the "puzzle" ::) I feel bad for the trucks, every time they make a grab there will be about 5-6 sticks hanging out and falling off.

Thank You Sponsors!