The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: couple pics... post what your currently cutting  (Read 797008 times)

chevytaHOE5674, leeroyjd, ljohnsaw and 6 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Gearbox

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
Re: couple pics... post what your currently cutting
« Reply #1420 on: February 08, 2017, 06:31:20 PM »
I gave it up yesterday . the snow is just too deep for tractor logging . You get off the trail and it just chatters to get through . I guess if I needed wood I would tough it out but better days are coming .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

Offline barbender

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #1421 on: February 08, 2017, 08:34:39 PM »
It is getting deep, and with that crust halfway down it makes for tough going. I have about 20 deer following me around the sale I'm on now eating the buds on the hardwood tops. Well, that was as of Saturday, I haven't worked a day this week, I have been down with the flu. It has really kicked my butt >:(
Too many irons in the fire

Offline Gearbox

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #1422 on: February 08, 2017, 09:32:45 PM »
Get better . I had a colon scope apt for Jan 6 postponed till feb 6 postponed till feb 27 . All flu and cold related hope to make the last one . Hope you recover fast my flu was short head cold lasted 2 weeks .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

Offline barbender

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #1423 on: February 08, 2017, 11:47:09 PM »
Thanks Gearbox. I can typically work through a head cold, but the flu just shuts me down. Then, of course, if you are having medical procedures it messes that up. I had a routine checkup scheduled for last Tuesday, I called the clinic and asked if they really wanted me in there in my condition. "Nah, reschedule." :) Those colonoscopies are no fun, well the procedure is a non event but the prep for it is, well, don't make any plans for that day :) I haven't had one but my poor wife has had more than I can remember.
Too many irons in the fire

Offline mf40diesel

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #1424 on: February 11, 2017, 07:48:00 AM »
Ive been having a dickens of a time posting pics on here,  I believe it is my substandard internet connection actually.

He is the last turn I made this time home.  Working for my folks neighbors, maintaining their view.  It's a little steeper than it looks. 

John Deere 5055e, mfwd. Farmi JL306 Winch. Timberjack 225 Skidder. Splitfire splitter & Stihl saws.

Offline mf40diesel

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #1425 on: February 11, 2017, 08:21:10 AM »
Another one, as I have finally figured out how to post pics!!!.  Smaller load,  the road out is kinda boney with rocks... I find it best to "go light and go often."  Plus with the heavy crust we had on the snow, the ride on the skidder is a welcomed break.

John Deere 5055e, mfwd. Farmi JL306 Winch. Timberjack 225 Skidder. Splitfire splitter & Stihl saws.

Offline g_man

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #1426 on: February 11, 2017, 09:56:44 AM »
I gave it up yesterday . the snow is just too deep for tractor logging . You get off the trail and it just chatters to get through . I guess if I needed wood I would tough it out but better days are coming .

That is what used to happen to me. I was going to get a skidder but decided that just wasn't me.  I like my little tractor. But I bought a small TD7G dozer. Now I can make good tractor roads in the summer and keep them open in the winter. Trouble now is that once I get off the tractor and start to wallow with the cable thru the snow things slow way down. Maybe I need to bring the snow blower out :D

gg

Offline Gearbox

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #1427 on: February 11, 2017, 10:10:17 AM »
Good time to sit by the fire . Sugar bush time is right around the corner. We will get plenty of snow slogging time then .

Online chevytaHOE5674

• Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #1428 on: February 11, 2017, 10:16:47 AM »
Since our other processor is in the shop getting its fire damage repaired they sent us out a rental machine to run. It has a larger crane and newer/larger harvester head. I've fallen in love with it and told the boss he needs to buy it, haha.

Knocking down some pulp.

Felling a 24" hardmaple

Video of the maple going down.

Offline ehp

• Senior Member x2
  • logger/chainsaw hack
    • Share Post
« Reply #1429 on: February 11, 2017, 02:47:11 PM »
pretty warm here today so did a bin of firewood , Im out of firewood logs now so I may send the processor down the road 

Offline OH logger

• livin the dream
    • Share Post
« Reply #1430 on: February 11, 2017, 03:15:58 PM »
pretty warm here today so did a bin of firewood , Im out of firewood now now so I may send the processor down the road 

(Image hidden from quote, click to view.)

bring it here. I can dispose of it for you  ;D
john

Offline lopet

• Senior Member x2
  • Do not climb any higher your comportable falling !
    • Share Post
« Reply #1431 on: February 11, 2017, 06:37:26 PM »
Another one, as I have finally figured out how to post pics!!!.  Smaller load,  the road out is kinda boney with rocks... I find it best to "go light and go often."  Plus with the heavy crust we had on the snow, the ride on the skidder is a welcomed break.

mf40, now you got the picture thingy figured out, let's see some more close up pics of your jack. :) :)
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

Offline coxy

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #1432 on: February 11, 2017, 06:49:37 PM »

that's why I don't like the cable chokers you cant get the logs/wood off the ground far enough  but to each his own  :) ;D are they 18 4 34 or 16 9 30 tires on there

Offline RunningRoot

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #1433 on: February 11, 2017, 07:56:08 PM »
My mind is blown !! Lol....
I started this thread I don't know how long ago but it was a couple years ago at the very least...
I'm surprised to return to the forum and see that it's still circulating with over 160k views and 1400+ posts !!!...
A log in the hands worth two in the bush !

Online BargeMonkey

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #1434 on: February 11, 2017, 08:25:34 PM »

that's why I don't like the cable chokers you cant get the logs/wood off the ground far enough  but to each his own  :) ;D are they 18 4 34 or 16 9 30 tires on there
😂😂 a cable choker is like a unicorn around here, I've seen them for sale but never seen one used, these guys from ME swear by them, 2 milk crates full of chain in my truck.

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
    • Share Post
« Reply #1435 on: February 11, 2017, 08:28:03 PM »
They may swear by them,but I think they are a dieing breed.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline xalexjx

• Share Post
« Reply #1436 on: February 11, 2017, 08:41:40 PM »
haha whats a choker?  :D
Logging and Processed Firewood

Online BargeMonkey

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #1437 on: February 11, 2017, 08:50:56 PM »
haha whats a choker?  :D
I look everytime I come home to make sure my skidder operator hasn't yanked the winch off my 460, says its a great machine but we need to sell the winch, he basically refuses to use it anymore. The 10 sliders don't exactly make it comfortable. 😂

Offline mf40diesel

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #1438 on: February 12, 2017, 07:01:36 AM »
They are super quick to dump the load at the landing, but come off often, and will never last as long as a chain. 

Its the way the machine was set up when I got it.  I believe going forward, as they break I will replace with chains... one at a time.  Clearly no reason to throw the good ones away.

Online BargeMonkey

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #1439 on: February 12, 2017, 10:09:50 AM »
They are super quick to dump the load at the landing, but come off often, and will never last as long as a chain. 

Its the way the machine was set up when I got it.  I believe going forward, as they break I will replace with chains... one at a time.  Clearly no reason to throw the good ones away.
I've only ever run chain chokers and they turn you into a miserable individual by the end of the day especially with deep snow. The one picture won't load but it showed how I bunch wood for cable versus grapple, piles and kind of a teepee of wood. Cable skidder is still the way to go sometimes. I've got 120 acres of larger stuff that's 1mile skid left on this job, my guy turns a hitch, gets out of one machine and hops in the cab of the other, musical skidders all day long, you can break a good man behind a cable skidder 😂, my cousin has 3 of them and runs his guys like savages. Carrying anything more than an 8' choker is pointless, hook 2 sliders together and go. 

I tried the square chain and didn't feel it was worth the extra, springtime you lose a few but I hook short and tight and rarely have trouble. 

Hook 10 all day it doesn't take long, I keep a box of tissues in the cab to stop the whining. 😂

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx

Started by Brian w on General Board

1 Replies
Last post January 01, 2019, 05:27:50 PM
by dustyjay
xx
First post and a couple of questions

Started by peter nap on Ask The Forester

20 Replies
Last post December 05, 2007, 06:24:18 PM
by Jeff