The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: another home built bandmill nearing completion  (Read 11258 times)

Offline jpad_mi

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
another home built bandmill nearing completion
« on: September 07, 2004, 04:46:24 PM »
My brothers and I have been building a bandmill for the last year and a half. The head assembly was about 90% complete this spring when we started on the bed/trailer. Yesterday we were finally able to pull it out of the barn and test the hydraulic functions on the trailer (tapers and log loaders complete, need one more hose for the posts). We were thrilled that it lifted a big ash log (27in small end and 13.5ft long). We hope to be able to finish up the head assembly in the near future and actually start making lumber..

I know you guys like pics, so here you go:

20ft bed, target cutting length of 16ft 6in, 5200# axle with brakes:

Log loaders in travel position on the trailer::

Big ash on the loaders:

Success!

Log taper (one of two):

Post (one of three operated by one cylinder)

11hp Honda, 6gpm pump, 10gal resevoir, 5 spool Prince sectional valve bank (one motor spool for future carriage drive):

Manual clamp (one of two). I'm not sure how much clamp force is required, but we will be able to generate a good deal with these levers)::

Jeff P. in Michigan

Offline Furby

• Senior Member x2
  • Blurb....
    • Share Post
Re: another home built bandmill nearing completion
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2004, 04:52:16 PM »
WOW!!!!
Not bad at all!!!  8) 8) 8)

Any idea what the tonge weight will be?
What does the head assy. look like?

Offline Fla._Deadheader

• Senior Member x2
  • Linda Vista, Costa Rica
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2004, 04:53:45 PM »
 Nice lookin outfit. Ya got some different ideas in your construction. If you can lift that log you should have no problem with most others.

Do those loader arms turn for travel and go back for loading ???  Can't quite make it out ???
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Offline Pete J

• Share Post
    • LogRite Tools
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2004, 05:49:46 PM »
It looks awesome. Keep up the good work.

p.s. I know a nice shade of blue you could use to paint it. :D

Offline Gilman

• Senior Member x2
  • !eliforp ym tide ot deen I
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2004, 05:56:48 PM »
I like your log loaders, nice and simple.  :P
WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

Offline jpad_mi

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2004, 07:59:30 PM »
Thanks for the kind words. We designed this mill without ever having seen a real bandmill, just pics in the sales brochures and on the internet (a coworker just recently got a used LT40HD and I spent a few hours drooling on his machine ;D ). I'm sure this is a big disadvantage, and I anticipate that we will have to tweak the design along the way.

Furby - The tongue weight is surprising reasonable at this point; my brother lifted it without too much effort. We struggled with where to put the axle, keeping on mind tongue weight, tail swing, and where to mount the rear loader. The spring hangers are welded to large angle iron which is bolted to plates welded on the frame in case we have to adjust the position in the future. I figure we can use the head assembly as a counterbalance to fine tune the tongue weight. I don't have any recent pics of the head assy but here's a couple from this spring :

16hp Kawasaki, temporary spare tires, 16inch depth of cut, approx 31in max between blade guides, 15'3" band, bronze bushings on DOM guide tube, 12volt up/down

Is there a typical method of locking the carriage to the bed for travel? We were just planning to use chain and binders, but wonder how others are doing it.

FDH - yes, the loaders are positioned for travel. We welded 4inchx1/4 angle to the frame to sandwich the downtube of the loaders. To prepare for sawing we just pull two hitch pins, slide the downtube out, spin 90 degrees and re-pin. It is free to slide up/down as I figured it would be better to send the majority of the load to ground rather than hang it off of the frame. There is a positive stop on the downtube for travel position. Her's a smaller crop of the previous picture to show better detail.

LogRite - I'm not sure that my monitor is accurately displaying LR blue. Please send a 5ft Cant hook to me immediately so I can check out the color.  :D  Seriously, is it a stock color somewhere? We''ve been thinking Ford Blue or Miller Welder blue so LogRite blue is defineatly an option.

Jeff P. in Michigan

Offline Paschale

• Senior Member x2
  • Got bit by some snow snakes...
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2004, 10:12:04 PM »
Congrats!  It's gotta be tremendously satisfying for you and your brothers to take this thing from drawing board to completion.  I'm looking forward to pics of her makin' sawdust!   8) 8)
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

Offline Bigdogpc

• Full Member x2
  • 1220 Timberking owner
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2004, 12:29:46 AM »
Nice!  Looks like ya'll did a bang-up job!  Well done.

Offline D._Frederick

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2004, 05:51:56 PM »
jpad-,

To answer your question about holding the head while on the rode,  On my mill, I have a hinge on the track that folds up against the carraige frame. I bored a hole in the carraige frame horizontal member and tapped it. When I want to move the mill, I position it and then lift the hinge and screw a bolt into the carriage frame, its quick and holds well.

Its apparent that you have spent a lot of time on the design and building it so far. With all the time and money you have spent I wonder why you would go with inflatable tires for the band wheels? In this part of the country we don't see many shop made  design-it-yourself mills. In the past 15 years, I have seen 3 of these  mills. Two used car tires for wheels, they sawed but to me, after seeing them run,  I would not work around them. The blade either whipped side to side or flopped up and down, because of tracking problem, out-of-round tires, or balancing problems. The other mill was built using plywood laminated together and then a wheel cut-out, it was another case that I would not want to be around.

When you see WM or Bake sawmill run with sold steel or a wheel fit with a Vee belt, I don't see why anything else would be used. The band acts as if it was on a track, no whip,no flop.

Offline EZ

• Senior Member x2
  • Betya can't cut just one!
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2004, 06:32:45 PM »
Mill looks good, cant wait till its in use. Love your log loader.
When I built my mill I made it all manual, I fugured sooner or later I would modify it. So one thing at a time, the first thing I did was put a motor on the up and down.
I figure the second most useful thing is a drive motor on the locking dog. I have a heck of a time with the bigger logs or cants when they need to be pushed over and clamp in. I'm trying to figure what or how I'm going to do it right now.
Well any ways great job on the mill.
EZ

Offline jpad_mi

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2004, 08:18:05 PM »
D - The hinge and bolt is just the kind of easy and effective idea I was looking for. Thanks. The inflatable tires were choosen based on cost only. I had no idea the factory bandmills used sheaves, and when I priced machined steel bandwheels they were about $750 a pair. I figured I would give the tires a go and if the mill worked well otherwise we could pop for the updgraded wheels.

EZ - I scratched my head for a long time trying to figure a how to make  powered clamps and finally gave up. My bros and I will take turns providing the power.
Jeff P. in Michigan

Offline Fla._Deadheader

• Senior Member x2
  • Linda Vista, Costa Rica
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2004, 08:28:17 PM »
Y'all just give up too easy. I showed EZ how we did it. Low cost and more power to also use as a log turner-helper.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Offline EZ

• Senior Member x2
  • Betya can't cut just one!
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2004, 03:24:51 AM »
I'm still kicking around your idea, FD. Right now I'm trying to figure out if I want to use a hyd drive motor or a 12 volt motor.
EZ

Offline GF

• Share Post
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2004, 07:11:06 AM »
EZ
  I used all hydraulics on mine, to me its more reliable and less maintenance.  Hydraulics require more room for the routing of the hoses, currently in my sawmill I have right at 500' of hydraulic hoses most of them are concealed below the frame pieces in channels.

Kirk_Allen

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2004, 09:32:03 AM »
Awsome!  Way to go!  Looks like it will be another great home-built sawdust eating machine 8)

Have you used any hydraulic fuses or check valves in your lifting hooks.  In the event you have a hose break these prevent the unit from slamming back down and possibly breaking things or hurting someone.  

Congrats 8) 8)  Looks like you did some fine work!

Offline T_in_SC

• I need to edit my profile!
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2004, 11:52:14 AM »
Great job on the mill.  I really like that loader design.  

Keep the pics coming!

Offline GF

• Share Post
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2004, 11:54:53 AM »
Make sure you get some paint on it before your test cut your first piece of wood, once you cut you will not want to stop.

Offline jpad_mi

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2004, 04:26:38 PM »
Good idea about the check valves. We currently don't have any. Honestly I'm a little fuzzy on the use of a check valve. Where do they go? How does the cylinder ever go down with a check valve in the line?

Speaking of paint, does anybody have experience with Valspar Farm and Implement paint from Tractor Supply Company or Rust-Oleum Industrial Speedy-Dry Acrylic Enamel (3100 system)? Any suggestions on reasonably priced paint that has held up well on a mill would be apreciated. Thanks!

GF - Wow! 500ft of hose. That's a lot of hose! I had to figure out how much oil it takes to fill the hose. 500ft of 1/4inch holds 1.3 gallons. 500ft of 1/2inch holds 5.1gallons!                                            
Jeff P. in Michigan

Offline FeltzE

• Fayetteville NC, Stop by and visit some time!
    • Share Post
    • Feltz's Sawmill
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2004, 04:57:36 PM »
Kirk, You are refering to "holding valves" they are valves that require the hydraulic pump to over pressure the valve to get fluid to or from the cylinder. When the flow stops the valve is in a holding position requiring that minimum pressure to overcome the valve again. It's kind of like having a bypass valve in line with your system you need to have enough pressure to "bypass " the valve to do your work. A failure of the hose on the pump side results in the work being held in place by the valve .

WM uses a different valve to prevent shock loading the loader by dropping a log on the hydraulic arms. It's a spring loaded valve spring loaded in the open position. If a large shock load is encountered the ball is slapped downstream closing the valve holding that shock away from the valve pac, pump, and down stream hoses. It's not a holding valve.

Eric

Offline trim4u2nv

• Share Post
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2004, 05:58:42 PM »
As a minimum I would  use  a single line pilot check valve.  This check valve only kicks in if the pump fails or a line ruptures.

http://www.brand-hyd.com/poc76/pocrevisiona.pdf

I think northern hydraulics stocks them for around $69.00
Have seen them on ebay also.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Nearing completion!!

Started by Thehardway on Timber Framing/Log construction

10 Replies
Last post January 25, 2012, 03:17:39 PM
by Thehardway
xx
update photos from an old post: Barn is nearing completion!!

Started by catalina on Sawmills and Milling

6 Replies
Last post October 24, 2018, 10:35:31 AM
by Skipper11A
xx
Home built motorcycle bandmill

Started by StorminN on Sawmills and Milling

7 Replies
Last post November 23, 2014, 10:54:51 PM
by RM Farm
xx
Home built bandmill - need ideas for making it into a trailer