iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Source for woodmizer edger parts

Started by Gerald Rowell, December 13, 2015, 07:26:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gerald Rowell

Just purchased a 2000 woodmizer twin blade edger, eg200, and I'm trying to restore it. Does anyone have a source for blades and decals and other parts?
Thanks, Gerald Rowell

beenthere

Welcome to the Forestry Forum.

Seems Woodmizer would be your first bet...
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Gerald Rowell.

X2 above and adding your location to your profile helps with questions.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Jeff

Wood-mizer is your only source for the machine parts and decals. You need to prove you are the owner I think to buy from them, at least for mills you do.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

starmac

How are you suppose to prove you are the owner??
If I happened to be working on a woodmizer of someone elses, I couldn't buy parts for it??

I suppose I better check into this, since I am a woodmizer owner, I will undoubtedly need parts, and don't have any proof that I actually own it.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

beenthere

I believe through the registration with WM of the serial number.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

starmac

I know you can register them with woodmizer, and have heard that they somewhat keep track of what has been bought for that registered mill, but sure never heard thhat registry was a requirement to by parts. I would think, just like caterpiller, or most vehicles, the serial number would be required to purchase many parts. I assume that is so you get the right parts though.

WLC

Starmac, did you get a bill of sale? You could probably use that if WM ever questions it.  I just bought a new LT28 from Parker and WM sent me what is basically a title for it.  Maybe go back to the seller, if he was the original owner, and see if you can get the title.
Woodmizer LT28
Branson 4wd tractor
Stihl chainsaws
Elbow grease.

starmac

No I did not get a bill of sale, but I guess I could at any time. Also, I do not know him, but several of my friends do know the original owner too.

Chuck White

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

barbender

I think the way it works, when you call WM for parts, they will register the machine in your name in their database. You don't have to "prove" you own it. However, if you (or someone else) stole it, and the owner calls WM to notify them that their machine was stolen and gives them the serial # that you have, I would suspect law enforcement of some sort would be paying you a visit. It's a system meant to protect owners.
Too many irons in the fire

Gerald Rowell

Thanks Yall for the info. Just thought there might be aftermarket parts available. I'm located in mid Ga. (Fort Valley). We bought our LT 40 mill from Nathan up in Newnan Ga. They are super nice people just like you folks on this Forum. I'll give Nathan a call. Thanks and Merry CHRISTmas.

Dave Shepard

When you sell a WM mill or edger, you have to sign a transfer of ownership and send it to WM. I have ordered parts for our mill at work without being put on the approved list for that mill, but I know everybody at Hannibal, NY, and I guess it was not an issue. I like that you can't order parts for a mill unless it is yours. Makes it tougher if it's been stolen and would also raise a red flag at WM, if it's been reported stolen.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

starmac

Lets say someone was building a mill and they wanted to use some woodmizer components, like say a log turner os toeboards, or even a new motor. woodmizer would not sell them to them?

Jeff

I'm pretty sure they don't. Not positive, but pretty sure.

starmac

You are probably right Jeff, but I ran a shop for years and worked on everything from wheel chairs to huge heavy equipment and have never run across anything I couldn't buy parts for that was still available.

Jeff

The difference is when you're buying parts that belong on their engineered machinery, versus buying it to putting on something else. I can think of a multitude of reasons they would not want their industrial parts on someone else's machinery and the first on that list is probably liability.

starmac

I can kindof see that.
I did run into a similar deal on boat motors, when the difference between one horsepower and another was just the carb. The dealers would not sell you the carb for the higher hp, unless you gave them a serial number for the higher hp, the work around was just to get the serial number off a different motor.

redprospector

I think it was in 1995, a guy's Dad died and left him an LT30. This guy felt that he had absolutely no use for the mill, but since it was his Dad's he didn't want to sell it. He agreed to lease it to me for a set amount every month, with the stipulation that I get the mill back up in shape (it had been sitting out in the weather, unused for several years), and keep up the maintenance.
Woodmizer's policy made it very difficult for me until the owner registered it in his name, and informed them of the deal we had. Then life got much better. I could order parts at will, I was sent notifications of any upgrades that hadn't been recorded on that mill (which was many  :o) I started getting copies of their magazine. Yep, life was good.
Of course, once I got the mill back up in good shape, and tying every bundle (old saying), the owner wanted it back.  :-\
I have no complaints about the way Woodmizer has it set up. They do a good job of keeping up with it too.
Then again, you can fix about any machine without going through the original manufacturer. They didn't make every part themselves, and if they did, a good machine shop can make it too. The question is, is it worth it? The answer is, if they still supply what you need...NO.  ;D
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

Darrel

First thing I did when I bought my used mill was to call Wood-Mizer.  They contacted the previous owner and everything was set up.
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Thank You Sponsors!