Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
Pendu slab recovery system
KJ4WXC

g_man

I liked your video. You look pretty smooth. Thanks for posting. Nothing like seeing equipment in action for the interested but inexperienced like me. I have a question which will propably seem dumb since I have never ran a loader. Why do you swing what looks like the long way around on each pick ? Thanks.

thecfarm

Maybe the driver was in the cab? Safety? A good video,Thank you.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

smwwoody

Common practice not to swing over the cab
Thanks for the good comments
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
KJ4WXC

CTL logger

Quote from: smwwoody on October 04, 2013, 10:44:29 AM
Common practice not to swing over the cab
Thanks for the good comments
I agree with that shiny parts are expensive.if you blow a hose or a log slips out of grapple.

beenthere

The guy owning that shiny cab doesn't want dirt and debris falling on it either...  8)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

g_man

That makes good sense. Glad I asked. Keep up the nice work.

barbender

I drop wood often enough to keep me from swinging over a cab ;)
Too many irons in the fire

sawguy21

:D That was the first thing that occurred to me too. Seemed like a lot of time wasted. Pretty fancy tractor for hauling logs though, it won't stay nice for long hauling on bush roads.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

thenorthman

So is it the east coast or the west coast that has funny looking log trailers :snowball:

Sure would be entertaining to see one of them trucks try to navigate the logging roads out here...
well that didn't work

hardtailjohn

I learned long ago that swinging over cabs or people is a good way to get a hammer thrown at the loader cab!
I'm so far behind, I think I'm ahead!

HousewrightVA

Woody
Seems an odd combination of lengths for pine. Where is it going?
skidsteer logger
Case 1840  440  580B
2016 LT40 Super

smwwoody

That truck is in its eighth year of doing nothing but hauling logs.  the driver takes great care of it.  He will take it anywhere it needs to go but he is real easy on it. 
That is actually the driver running the loader.  he is always back for the last load at night and likes to run the loader so he loads him self on the last load.

those logs are going to a small mill in dillwyn VA they buy 8, 10, 12, and 21 foot logs.  they like the 21s because they can cut them in any combination of the shorter ones depending on their lumber markets.

Woody
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
KJ4WXC

thecfarm

I see trailers like that around here all the time. Some have a mid mount loader some don't
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Mark Taylor

I am having a problem with my serco 8000 log loader. the right down rigger wont stay pressurized..  It goes up and down fine but wont stay solid . Any Help ??

smwwoody

I would look at three things.

First look for a leaky hose or fitting.

second the cylinder may need rebuilt.  the oil may be bypassing the piston inside the cylinder.

third spool may be bypassing

Woody
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
KJ4WXC

smwwoody

2 other things i didn't think of

being on an outrigger does it have a safety valve close to the cylinder that prevents a cylinder collapse in case of a broken line while you are running the loader.  it may be that valve. 

is it a direct spool control or pilot opperated spool
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
KJ4WXC

Thank You Sponsors!