iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha NOT Sawin' ???

Started by terrifictimbersllc, May 22, 2015, 11:21:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Drouin

She is a worker. The men are in her way.
Quote from: Brad_bb on September 21, 2019, 10:34:16 PM
 I think she could work rings around many of us.
Speaking for your self I hope. :D :D ;)

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

rjwoelk

Brad you stepped into that one.  :D :D :D
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

Brad_bb

Oh, I won't argue that one.  I'm lazy by nature  ;D
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

btulloh

Quote from: Brad_bb on September 22, 2019, 11:29:45 AM
Oh, I won't argue that one.  I'm lazy by nature  ;D
I think you meant to say you are lazy EFFICIENT by nature.   :D  There aren't any lazy people running a chainsaw mill or a manual sawmill (or a hydraulic mill for that matter).
HM126

Magicman

Very true!  I tell customers that I might be lame, cripple, and crazy.....but I ain't lazy.  smiley_dizzy
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Bruno of NH

I tell them the same thing MM
Be a big guy my whole life but never been lazy. 
Folks associate fat with lazy sometimes
Fat I am lazy I'm not.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Brad_bb

My nature would be lazy if I wasn't working.  Truthfully I take my share of time off recovering from milling etc.

The last two weeks I've been NOT sawing this. I have been sorting the stack on the left, into firewood logs, beam logs, board logs, and brace stock logs.  I was also trimming thumbs and bucking to lengths I wanted.  Stack on the right are beam logs.  The left stack probably started out over 100 feet long.  I cleared all the way through it in 8 days.  I occasionally had to do some other things, like pull a whopper log out of the woods with two log arches, a skid steer and a helper.

This is the firewood stack that was to the right of the other two stacks.  I put an ad on Craigslist for free firewood logs at 11 pm and had probably 10 calls by 10am and 6 of them showed up that day, including a guy with a 32 foot gooseneck trailer.  He's coming back next week to get loaded again, then all the firewood logs will be gone.

I calculated that it will take me 2-3 months full time to mill all the logs in the yard, which might actually mean 4 months.  :o   All these trees - 95 percent dead Ash, came off this property.  The tree crew cut them down and another hired guy on the skid steer and grapple would fetch them and stack them in the pile.  All the sorted log piles are now at the edge of the gravel driveway so when it starts raining and ground turns to soft mud, you can drive straight in with the tracked skid steer and back out with logs and not have to turn on mud.  The tracks don't pick up any mud when driving staight.

Old Greenhorn

Looks to me like you are working pretty hard for a guy that is 'taking time off'. Every time I am not 'doing' something that produces a result I feel like I am goofing off and lazy. But those chores are important to the end goal also if I would let myself admit it. I am glad to see I am not the only guy that spends time sorting and organizing and thinking things through.
 Last night I did some pick axe work trying to smooth out a new spot to re-locate the mill to. It is slow hard work for me and I feel like I got little more done than got it started. I quit at dark. Still, it is work. 
 If this is your idea of lazy, I am glad you can't see mine. ;D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Nebraska

Got the siding finished on the shed it has  two coats of Viking paint, Ive made a little progress on my spot
since the first piece of locust firewood I tried cutting. Its attached  to the wall in the shed with my family's brand on it. Next year hopefully the old cattle behind the mill will get matching siding and my old barn will get recycled.

East ky logging

Good looking shed. I've not been sawing anything been staining everything for the last week or so. I finally got done this evening I think I've stained everything on the place except for the dogs. 
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety- Benjamin Franklin

Southside

Very nice shed! The roof line on your old barn looks straight. Is it timber framed? 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Nebraska

No timber frame, built out of circle sawn cotton wood and whatever odds and ends they could find. (The finest of "Swedish" construction, all the odd stuff they could scavenge or saved) They built bulk bins out of fir flooring and fancy bead board. The back half of the barn had the foundation rooted out of it by hogs before I got here and is beyond fixing.. The only reason it's still here is I want to dismantle it because of the old stuff in it. If the foundation was good it would have gone to the front of the line in the game of projects, with at least a steel skin added  to it. I 've buddies with excavators that could squash it down in a matter of minutes. I've no shortage of projects it's replacement is a round top Sears barn in storage.i think this barn is a 20's or thirties vintage.  My house on the original side was square nailed so it's pre 1880,  sometime shortly after that was when the local lumber yards got modern round wire nails

Nebraska

@Southside Here is picture of a similar Sears barn. It's the same size as my trusses will build. Plan is 3 ft block stubwall foundation to give 10 ft ceiling heighth, lean on each side. Board siding same as saw shed. 

My trusses only have a seven foot sidewalls this barn looks taller. Hope to have it done by the time I'm 60.

alan gage

Well it looks like another year is going to go by without me sawing my big stack of bur oak, walnut, maple, and elm. Once again my real job, other projects, and life kept me from spending as much time at the mill as I wanted. Not a complete loss though as I got to use a lot of lumber I sawed last summer as well as milling up a bunch of spruce logs and cedar utility poles to build a new wood shop for myself. But the pretty hard woods will have to wait a bit longer.

Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

Jim_Rogers

Well, I'm not sawing anything for a while.

Wednesday, I hooked my mill up to my current ride and and hauled it out of my sawmill yard for the first time in a very long time.

I hauled it out to an engine repair shop where I bought this second engine on my 1994 sawmill some 18 years ago.
Yesterday, they gave me the bad news.
The engine was dead as it has sucked a valve or something like that and had beat up the block.

I will be upgrading to a new 25 hp Kohler that will be installed by WM Maine once they get an engine in.
I was given a time estimate of 2 weeks to a month, if I waited to have it shipped via their truck.
I selected to have it shipped by freight truck instead hoping to get it in sooner. We'll have to wait and see.
They have one engine to prepare and send out before mine is ready to ship. And with the staff at the plant on reduced work force, it may take some time.
I guess I may start making some of Bruno of NH's planter boxes with on hand lumber to sell while I'm waiting.
Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Bruno of NH

Sorry to hear this Jim
Hope they send it out quickly. 
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Brad_bb

Total bummer Jim!  Did you get your money's worth out of the old engine?

97redjeep

Did a little SXS logging last night, couple weeks and I can get my toes wet. 

My ass, Baby, wondering what the heck I'm doing lol not sure how to rotate pics yet. 
HM 126, a few useful tools, and a bunch of crap I don't need, but I love 😬

Jim_Rogers

Yesterday, was one week since I ordered my new engine. No progress on my order yet.

Jim Rogers

DennisK

Can you talk to a good cylinder head machine shop and get an oversized valve seat installed?

KenMac

My business is picking up, but I'm not sawing any ERC or white oak. I can't find any logs locally or reasonably accessible. >:(
Cook's AC3667t, Cat Claw sharpener, Dual tooth setter, and Band Roller, Kubota B26 TLB, Takeuchi TB260C

Jim_Rogers

On my invoice, that I got by email, it said if you have any questions about your order call this number......
So yesterday, I called that number. I got a customer service guy working from home and he said he had no way to know if my order was being worked on or not.
And I asked if the engine on order before my order had been shipped out so that I could know if I was next.
He said he'd try and find out and let me know, by email or phone call.
Jim Rogers

Jim_Rogers

I got an email this morning that my engine has been shipped.

Wow, great news. I wonder how long it will take to get to Maine?

Jim Rogers

trimguy

Still not sawing anything since I wrecked the frame on my mill. But this is giving me a chance to get some of the other stuff done that I need to do before I pick up my new Lt40 next Friday. 8) 8)

Jim_Rogers

I got a call from WM Maine on Friday at noon. They said they tracked my engine to a terminal in Portland and should be at their shop very soon.
I'm planning on hauling my mill up there on Monday.
So @thecfarm you'll need to keep an eye out for me if you want to see a mill on the road ;D
Jim Rogers

Thank You Sponsors!