iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Help me figure this out!

Started by bedway, December 17, 2013, 01:09:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bedway

This is a computer question and im not sure this is the right topic area but here goes. I allow grandkids and everyone else to use this computer. When i open fire fox and type something in for a google search all kinds of suff pop up under the line im typing on. I assume its sites that have been typed in before. How do i get rid of all that crap? Thanks from a computer non-expert.

Dave Shepard

That is normal. Firefox is just trying to guess what you are looking for. It can be handy, but I don't know how to shut it off.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

mesquite buckeye

Ahhhh the old delete browsing history trick......... ;D 8) 8) 8)
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Dave Shepard

It isn't just browsing history, it's some sort of intuitive search function. handy if you don't know how to spell something.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

mesquite buckeye

Mine just remembers stuff already put in. So you are saying it works like the new annoying phones? ;D
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

clearcut

You may be describing Google's Instant Predictions feature. Google attempts to figure out what you want to search for based on your search history and what other people commonly search for.

From the Google home page (www.google.com) select the settings icon which looks like a gear in the upper right of the screen.

Select Search Settings

Select the Google Instant Predictions setting that you prefer.

Click on Save at the bottom of the page.

Carbon sequestered upon request.

bedway

Like mesquite says its the stuff thats been searched for before. My grandkids use it all the time and its loaded with searches. Im not asking for the reason some of you pervs on here are thinking  ;D. Clearcut, i went to that link for google but cant find the gear in the corner you refer to.

Jeff

Quote from: bedway on December 18, 2013, 10:23:28 AM
Like mesquite says its the stuff thats been searched for before.

As also mentioned, only in part. You will get those even if it is the first time you ever fired up that browser on that computer as by clearcut's explanation.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Fla._Deadheader

Doesn't necessarily have to be Google. Bing is notorious for that, along with other search engines. I had that, and got it cleared up, But, I forget how.  ::) :embarassed: :-\
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

SLawyer Dave

I use Firefox too.  I don't profess to be a computer expert in any way shape or form, (I hire them to make my computers work), but I do a lot of internet work.  As has been described, there are primarily two reasons why those "suggested search terms" will come up when you type in a search inquiry.  This typically happens with almost all search engines, so it is not restricted to just Google.  First, is as has been described, the search engine will try to anticipate what you are searching for.  So if you type in "sou", you are likely going to get a number of word options with that base root.  I am not sure there is anything you can really do about that, as it is a basic function of the search engine.  The second reason those search options will come up, is based on your browser history and the search engine is trying to reconnect you to web sites and searches that you have previously done. 

In Firefox, you can go to the upper left hand corner of your homepage, and look for the title "History".  You can then click on that and you will get a sub-screen with a number of options.  If you are worried about what your kids or grandkids may be looking at, you can click on the "Show All History".  That will then give you a list of all the sites visited by the browser in chronological order.  If you want to clear the history of what sites have been accessed, then click on the, "Clear Recent History".  That will then bring up another sub-screen wherein you can clear "Everything", or selected types of items.

If you really want to get clever, you can click on the "Show all History" as explained above.  Then you can go through that history, and click on any record and delete that "page" from the history.  By doing this, you leave the history you want in place to assist you in getting back to the pages and websites you frequent, without leaving a record of other webpages you may not want a record of. 

Hope that helps.

Ianab

If you are searching via the Google home page you can turn that option off in the "settings" on the lower right of the screen.

When you click on "settings" a menu comes up.

Select "Search Settings" and find the bit about "Google Instant predictions".

It can be turned off there.

Ian

Edit: This is a setting at Google, nothing to do with your local browser settings.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)