iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

serviceberry fruit problem

Started by Andy Henriksen, June 07, 2006, 10:46:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy Henriksen

I have a serviceberry tree (not sure which spp.) that is about 7' tall, with healthy foliage in a partially shaded, sandy loam site.  The last two springs it bloomed well, and got lots of new fruit (especially this year).  However the berries never develop fully they kinda halt about half-way to full size, and become brown, dry, mostly hollow and papery.  Any ideas what might be causing this?  I was really looking forward to munching on some fresh fruit from this tree, but looks unlikely again.

crtreedude

Hi Andy,

Just an idea - don't know if it is worth much - perhaps it needs cross pollination? Sounds like the seeds might be aborting. The fruit is to support the seeds - if the seeds don't develop, normally neither will the fruit completely develop.
So, how did I end up here anyway?

SwampDonkey

Andy, you have any wild ones? I find they flower alot, but most fruit aborts. I have some rather tall ones and I think I'de starve to death trying the pick the few that developed. They are similar to blueberries, so maybe take the kettle down to the blueberry patch instead. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!