iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Knee Replacement...Now Shoulder Surgery

Started by Magicman, October 15, 2019, 07:38:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

Quote from: Andries on January 10, 2020, 05:53:59 PMposting X-ray images, rather than the anatomical parade of pictures that you've been throwing up in the past.
Actually there was a third X Ray that I withheld from tender eyes.  There are some things that inquiring minds really do not need to know.  :o  :D

Good eye on the glue Jeff.  smiley_thumbsup

The forecast is for rain all of next week so no scheduled sawing.  :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

doc henderson

that knee may come in handy.  predicting the weather in the south, like a cold front coming through with the temp dropping to 60° :D :D :D
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Bruno of NH

You will be sawing up a storm  8)
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Ed_K

A+ A+ A+ great job getting back to going 8).
Ed K

Magicman

Well if it's gonna be a weather predictor it had better get busy because we have a "red line" bearing down on us this morning.

About that "other" X Ray; it was of the knee pre-surgery.  Regrettably I failed to get a copy of it showing how crooked that knee was.  It was a pitiful sight and looked as bad as the new one looks good.   
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WV Sawmiller

If only Doc Adams had had the technology available now he could have fixed Chester Good's bum knee for him in between the times he was out delivering babies on the prairie and digging bullets out of Marshal Dillon...
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Magicman

Actually I referred to myself as "walking like Chester" many times.  I wasn't stiff legged, but I had a limp in my git-a-long.  :-X

I have what I suppose to be my 6 month and final visit with the surgeon in May.

WV Sawmiller

I thought it was supposed to be "a hitch in my git-along." :D I always wondered what a hitch was now I know.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Magicman

Oh there is a difference between a limp and a hitch.  Limps don't hurt.  ;D

doctorb

Technically, that is an excellent TKR.  The surgeon maintained the 5-7 degrees of normal valgus (we are normally a little knock-kneed) and the position on the lateral view is perfect.  Well done by everyone!  You can do whatever you want to do and feel you can do at this point.  I would avoid contact sports and activities that require a lot of cutting back and forth (and I'm not talking about logs! ;D) .  Looks like an excellent result!
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Magicman

Thank You doctorb and also for your continued comments as I was involved with my post-op PT.  Yes, I did notice that I am now a bit knock-kneed but I have no idea whether I was or was not pre-op.  Both of my feet are also now pointed toward which way I am going.

doctorb

As knees get arthritic, the majority lose their normal knock knee alignment.  The inside of the joint is most often the worst area of arthritic disease, and some loss of articular cartilage leads to varus,or bow legged-ness.   The TKR restored normal alignment. 
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Magicman

I am a user/abuser not a Doctor, so now the shoulder situation will have to be addressed.  Ain't gonna fix itself so I will see Dr. Sawbones on January 23rd. 

Some of you may recall that the shoulder was giving me fits before the TKR surgery, but the knee took priority because the shoulder was necessary during my knee rehab and PT. 

I'll just have to muddle through with my sawing obligations as I can.  :-\

EOTE

You keep up with all these parts replacements Magicman and you'll be the next bionic man.  You won't even need a sawmill to saw up the logs.   :D
EOTE (End of the Earth - i.e. last place on the road in the middle of nowhere)  Retired.  Old guys rule!
Buzz Lightsaw, 12 Mexicans, and lots of Guy Toys

Magicman

I got no time for slackers.  If this body is going my way, it's gotta keep it's end of the bargain.  boxingsmiley

bwstout

Mr. MM glad your knee replacement is doing well. I know about the shoulder had the left one replace 4 years ago now going Thursday to have the right one replaced. Just as you have done with your knee PT is the key to good movment. I have very little restriction with my left one just hope the right one does as well. 
home built mill

petefrom bearswamp

Glad u are good To go MM
No total knee replacement here, but bi lateral makoplasty in 2013
Best result I have had and I have had a lot of ortho surgeries, total hip and revision and both rotator cuffs as well as an ACL replacement
I seem to be the orthopedic surgeons benefactor.
Now if only I could reverse the ageing process.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

kantuckid

Knee talk, Sounds good MM, your a great e.g. for us all.

So, yesterday I'm sitting in the knee docs office waiting for my 4th cortisone injection and lady next to me asks if I've had mine replace and I reply no, I'm on the "someday soon list" and getting a cortisone shot. She asks if they help and I tell her the first two were like a miracle cure, the 3rd time left me ready for another by two months out of the 3 month window.  She says shes a tennis player and all he friends at her club tell her to get a new knee which she's already been told she needs yet never had even a shot! I encourage her to try the shot if her doc says so and tell her if they tell me I'm ready I'll ask for the first date available, early in the a.m. while my doc is fresh! . I also tell her about my neighbor who needs both knees but will not even consider the procedure.
Then this little gal about the same age of 65-70 as the 1st gal, asks me if I think I need one. I say maybe but not my call and ask her if shes' getting one. She tells me she's in for her 2 months check on her new knee. She walks well in the waiting room but obviously has a friend/probable driver with her and I ask if she has driven yet, to which she answers that she's never driven a car nor owned one! This in a city of ~ 1/3 million people, so most people drive there. I told her about my KS farm neighbor who never drove either and used a riding mower to "drive" to her main fishing hole on the river there.
My doc manipulated both my knees and the bad knee moves several inches sideways at the foot compared to the far tighter good knee. He says I'm closer but lets see how the shot performs this time since the 3rd bought me some active time. I tell him I'll be on a bicycle everyday in FL soon so may help it do better.
He mentions nothing about PT ever with my knee so my thinking is there's not a whole lot of tissue around either side of my knee to PT with. It stays swollen some and swells much more if I work all day. I can also feel the bone on bone contact at times but not a pain that I can't get by with.
Limping, My sciatica has come back on my right leg so honestly it hurts far more than the bad knee leg as it's nerve pain... such is life...
My afternoon was spent at the U of KY Dental College hearing about how I can further enrich the medical profession as I've lived long enough to need two crowns replaced as the tooth stubs underneath have decayed. I ask if I'll live long enough to care and my student dentist, a positive kid at that, says sure! I then ask if the void next to my one crown is still not a candidate for a mini-implant and he says it is. I tell him that only a few years back they'd told me their school protocol didn't allow mini-implants, but he says they do know. The cost there is less than half of street price and I prefer the school direct vs. the VA dentist visits done by the same group of students who provide service behind the building I'm in.
Three crowns, unknown number of implants depending on the tooth stubs when uncovered. I'm bionic from head to toe.
For you folks above with replaced joints:  there are red flags waved r.e. getting your teeth cleaned or invasive dental work done. My dental school visits vary as to who the faculty person is on duty and they all have their own notion of whats best. Some want to send me home to take antibiotics first while others say if my dental health is OK it's not needed. I told my ortho doc and he provided me with a letter stating that his practice goes by the professional standards in place and unless my dental health is suspect there's not any need for antibiotics.
Another advantage to using a dental college for my work is that I have a pre-cancerous tissue are that's on a self watch and an annual visit to the top floor of the dental college where Maxillofacial surgery dept is located-I go there to get a look see and a photo of one area of my gum done by MD residents up there.  I also get consults in orthodontics on another floor at times. State of the art dentistry always! I often see people leaving with part of their face missing in case your a tobacco chewer, a word to the wise , as they say...
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

Raider Bill

Just got back from the new Doc. Nice guy I might add.

What I had hoped for was orthoscope on my left knee has turned out into I'll be getting a new one. Meniscus and cartilage is destroyed and due to past operations on it I'll be getting a new one.

Right shoulder MRI I had is too old so he ordered another. Rotater cuff is torn plus a few other issues. His hope is that that it is not atrophied past the point of no return. I may have waited too long. We'll see.

Gave me a shot in the shoulder and sent me on my way.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Magicman

I just got a list of charges from my insurance company; $108,430.  Said that it was not a bill.  ::)

I need to get this shoulder done before they come and repossess the knee.  :o

Raider Bill

Quote from: Magicman on January 14, 2020, 04:28:36 PM
I just got a list of charges from my insurance company; $108,430.  Said that it was not a bill.  ::)

I need to get this shoulder done before they come and repossess the knee.  :o
Ridiculous.
But then my feelings about healthcare costs will get me in the woodshed or under it.

EOTE

Quote from: Magicman on January 14, 2020, 04:28:36 PMI just got a list of charges from my insurance company; $108,430.  Said that it was not a bill.  I need to get this shoulder done before they come and repossess the knee.  

You would think they make those knee sockets out of gold.  I hate to think how much the shoulder surgery will cost.  

However, I when I went in for stitches on my finger, they charged almost $1,500.  The doctor admitted I was paying for 5 people who didn't pay.

When my dad had heart surgery in his 80's he kept the doctors and collectors at bay by paying them $10 a month until he died.  

My wife has found the same works for her and often times they will settle for pennies on the dollar instead of taking the $10 bucks  a month payment for years.
EOTE (End of the Earth - i.e. last place on the road in the middle of nowhere)  Retired.  Old guys rule!
Buzz Lightsaw, 12 Mexicans, and lots of Guy Toys

trapper

Talking with my doctor when getting my bp checked she suggested I  talk to a sleep doctor.  went today for the appointment.  The dr completely ignored any causes like restless legs and other possible reasons.  He insisted on a sleep test at the hospital and then fitted for a mask.  It was like  dealing with a used car salesman on commission  for selling the sleep test and mask.  I will refuse the appointment if one is made. This hospital just paid a 10 million fine for doctors to refer people to them.  My regular dr is great.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Stuart Caruk

I wish you guys would stop bragging about your new body parts.... when I went looking for a New Liver and Kidney, I found they don't make them in my size, so I had to go look on the used market...

Oh, and costs... simultaneous liver and kidney about $1,600.000. Throw in some dialysis, paracentesis, and drugs and the total exceeded $2,200,000.00. Now I detest payiong the monthly premiums at around $1600/ mo, and the $6400 out of pocket, but it's the first time I think I've won on an insurance scheme...
Stuart Caruk
Wood-Mizer LX450 Diesel w/ debarker and home brewed extension, live log deck and outfeed rolls. Woodmizer twin blade edger, Barko 450 log loader, Clark 666 Grapple Skidder w/ 200' of mainline. Bobcats and forklifts.

Raider Bill

Quote from: trapper on January 14, 2020, 11:32:19 PM
Talking with my doctor when getting my bp checked she suggested I  talk to a sleep doctor.  went today for the appointment.  The dr completely ignored any causes like restless legs and other possible reasons.  He insisted on a sleep test at the hospital and then fitted for a mask.  It was like  dealing with a used car salesman on commission  for selling the sleep test and mask.  I will refuse the appointment if one is made. This hospital just paid a 10 million fine for doctors to refer people to them.  My regular dr is great.
Buy a CPAP machine off amazon or craigs list. They are pretty simple. Skip the Doctor. Sleep studies are another rip off. Just charged my friend $8k for one. He didn't have insurance.

Thank You Sponsors!