iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Traditional New year's Meal

Started by WV Sawmiller, January 01, 2019, 06:44:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV Sawmiller

A few modifications - some folks eat collards or cabbage for the green for money. We had Cole Slaw. My wife substituted pork loin instead of hog jowls which is probably probably big time cheating. 

Dad said during the depression people did not have refrigeration and Black Eyed peas were one of the few foods people could raise and store through the winter and a piece of smoked hog jowl for seasoning was the cheapest cut of meat you could buy. Based on that if you were down to eating BE Peas and hog jowls on New Year's Day things had to get better  because they could not get much worse. You had already about hit rock bottom. 

Happy New year.

Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

WDH

We had pork roast, black-eyed peas, collard greens, sweet potatoes, and corn bread.  Also gravy. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

Texas Ranger

Hopefully the last of the Christmas turkey.  food2 
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Crossroads

I had never had callard greens until I went to Liberia last year. Had them almost every day and enjoyed them.

When we were raising hogs, we had the jowls made into bacon, we only used it for BLT's yummy
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

LeeB

Had black eyed peas with beef bacon (no pork in Saudi) and cabbage for breakfast on the first. I was crew changing to travel home that morning and had asked the campboss to fix me some the dinner meal the night before. He had the night cook fix it for my breakfast so I could have it new years day. Something must have worked. Got upgraded to biz class on my first flight.  8)
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

LeeB

Having real bacon this morning in Frankfurt.  sketti_1
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

WV Sawmiller

Lee,

If you work with a bunch of Brits over there they probably serve you a bunch of porkless pork and beans for breakfast. Actually they were pretty good just that beans for breakfast was not common in southern USA. I never got used to the baked tomatoes on the side. I fell in love with the Arabs hummus and ful with good thick loves of flat Arabic bread covered olive oil and sesame seeds (Kubz if I remember correctly - doesn't spell right in English) for dipping. We had that every Friday at the pier on the Red Sea there in Jeddah when we went scuba diving.

Have a good trip and welcome home.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

caveman

Danny, we ate about the same.  Black eyes, corn bread, pork trimmings from the ribs done in the pressure cooker, collard greens, apple salad and some other stuff that I did not try.  Just had some leftovers for lunch. 
Caveman

maple flats

We don't have a traditional New Years meal, it is generally what ever left overs we have in the fridge. Yesterday, it was scalloped potatoes and ham casserole. That casserole was freshly made from left over ingredients.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

WV Sawmiller

Maple,

I am sure sorry for you. Eating food like that on New Year's Day means you probably ain't gonna have no good luck at all for 2019. tsk, tsk, tsk. :'( :'(
Howard Green

Bert

I pretty much shot myself in the foot for the new year also. Around here its Sauerkraut and pork for luck I guess. I skipped that for the first New Years day i can recall and went to to Chiles and had some Guacamole and and a Quesadilla salad. It was good though! 
Saw you tomorrow!

LeeB

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on January 02, 2019, 09:40:42 AM
Lee,

If you work with a bunch of Brits over there they probably serve you a bunch of porkless pork and beans for breakfast. Actually they were pretty good just that beans for breakfast was not common in southern USA. I never got used to the baked tomatoes on the side. I fell in love with the Arabs hummus and ful with good thick loves of flat Arabic bread covered olive oil and sesame seeds (Kubz if I remember correctly - doesn't spell right in English) for dipping. We had that every Friday at the pier on the Red Sea there in Jeddah when we went scuba diving.

Have a good trip and welcome home.
WV,
I'm the only westerner left on the rig crew. One of the Aramco co-men is from San Antonio and another from Trinidad. The rest of them are from India and Egypt. My crews are from Egypt and Saudi. The arabs eat beans for breakfast but they are similar to kidney beans. I don't eat them or the bread. I try to stay pretty low carb. Most days I have a couple eggs, some salad, and either beef bacon, half a weiner (which the call sausage?), or a small serving of liver(chicken or lamb).

WV Sawmiller

Lee,

Yeah, I remember those limp wristed sausages. I think the Brits called them Bangers. The ones I remember were kind of like a Vienna Sausage without the kick. 

I'm sorry to hear about your low carb diet. That Arabic bread was one of the best things going for them. We had another Indian/Paki place we visited where they made the best naan you ever ate. You never got over half way though one before they brought you a fresh one and the steam would rush out when you tore open the big bubbles.
Howard Green

Al_Smith

It was the traditional pork and sauerkraut ,Red Lobster New Years eve . 

scgargoyle

We had black-eyed peas and collards, but had some leftover beef roast. I'm trying to cut back on red meat, especially pork since I now have a cardiologist :( We have beautiful collards in the garden this year!
I hope my ship comes in before the dock rots!

petefrom bearswamp

Wife and I got colds a couple of weeks ago so had to postpone our Christmas gathering until today, so I guess you could say New Years dinner, but not traditional.
Will be about 26 or 27 if grandsons girlfriend comes along.
A wonderful raucous houseful. 
Oven roasted 11 pound brisket, 8 pound ham, My wife's "western" bean crockpot dish, Mashed potatoes, tater tot casserole, Ziti, coleslaw, homemade applesauce, veggies and dip, Venison summer sausage and pepperoni, fruit and cheeses, assorted desserts, and pre dinner some adult beverages.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Thank You Sponsors!