iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Oak and Walnut and Maple

Started by bdbullets, November 06, 2004, 07:55:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bdbullets

Hi

Me and my brothers are in our third week of cutting firewood and thought someone might be interested in this.

A local farmer is clearing some of his land for a pivot and told us to get all the wood we want and then take some more.
We are cutting Red Oak trees that he dozed into piles that are 3 to 4 feet across at the trunk INTO FIREWOOD. Walking around in the woods I found 20+ Walnut trees that are 12" to 24" that are still standing. I have one of the small Alaskan sawmills for chainsaws that I have used on some of the Walnut logs and they are beautiful. The Oak and the smaller pieces of Walnut we are just using for firewood.

Last spring we cut a Maple tree from a local yard that was 6 feet across but it was hollow the first 10 feet up. I kept the limbs that were 3 to 4 feet across and the length is about 6 to 8 feet long, I kept 4 of these and the combined weight of these four logs was 12000 pounds. I cut a couple of smaller pieces into blocks for the turning lathe and turned them into a couple of bowls and the quilting in them is beautiful.

I have been looking for someboby with a portable sawmill to cut up some of these logs into lumber for a portion of the wood. I don't have much interest in the Oak so I can furninsh someone quite a bit of that if anyone is interested.

I am located 90 miles southwest of Lincoln Nebraska in Davenport.

rebocardo

Wow, I have never seen a Maple tree grow that big! It must have been 100s of years old.

Thank You Sponsors!