iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

BACK to work, Tweak & Tune The "Bob" inspired Jonsered 48mm CS2CS Work saw

Started by weimedog, October 06, 2020, 08:15:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

weimedog

Put the boats away for the season, back to work producing 10 full cord of firewood to get ready for winter. AND put this Jonsered build together with a used 48mm Jonsered 2165 ( Husqvarna 365 Special ) cylinder, it's running "ok". Have a few issubraes to work thru. Initial start and restart after is cools down. It's a bit down on compression as compared to the 365 48mm build I did earlier. Hoping a few tanks of gas will solve that issue. Also have the old X-torq carb and I didn't swap in the different throttle plate as I haven't found one in the junk pile yet.

BUT the purpose of this build was to show simple things on these cylinders will make for a good running saw , with an "underrated" 48 mm cylinder. Begs the question Bob has asked for years....why go get a cheap Aftermarket with all the inherent plating , quality etc. related issues if you have a perfectly good OEM cylinder? AND since they are well made these OEM cylinders will probably out last your desire to run them....:)

Jonsered 2165 Build "Tweak & Tune", And Try To Put Number To The Break In Process - YouTube
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

weimedog

Maybe a little to much "processing firewood" ( Work ) and not enough conversation? Had a visitor and we blocked and split firewood, and then ran our 48mm Jonsered 2165 saws, tweaked differently. AND ran a Jonsered 80, what a cool old saw! Thank you ( u know who u are )

Jonsered cs2165 Part 4 of 4, Working Jonsered Chainsaws Old & New(er) ( A Jonsered 80 & 2165's ) - YouTube
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

donbj

I may be skinny but I'm a Husky guy

Woodmizer LT40HDG24. John Deere 5300 4WD with Loader/Forks. Husky 262xp. Jonsered 2065, Husky 65, Husky 44, Husky 181XP, Husky 2100CD, Husky 185CD

Real1shepherd

All the 80's I see on YouTube seem slow. Someday I'll make a vid of mine. I run it @11,300 rpm unloaded and have for over 40yrs.

It was rebuilt completely by a saw shop when I bought it in the late 70's. It's always run like a beast. I've never had the jug off in all these yrs....no reason to. The piston through the carb side looks perfect. Maybe the builder ported it a bit....dunno. Sounds different from the other 80's on YouTube as well.

I've got at least another 80 in my stash to build and then I can compare.

Kevin  

JJ

I also have a Jred 2165 turbo, I'm real happy with.  Got a deal since the dealer was able to get a Husky dealer license so had all the Jonsereds in the shop on fire sale.   Even got the 20" bar and chain thrown in.
Don't do as much cutting anymore because I sold the house with the OWB

JJ

Al_Smith

I've never owned a J-red but I worked on one. That one ,whatever the number was was 49 cc and I thought it would be perfect for a 3 cube cookie cutter .For a little saw it had some moxie .All I did was a carb rebuild and something wrong with throttle linkage which I fixed .

Real1shepherd

Must have been the Jonsereds 49SP. Not a pro-built saw, but it's design proved to be almost bulletproof. Reasonably priced, it was a huge best seller.

The Jonsereds 621 by comparison was a pro-bulit saw. Lots of people wanted it, but it was expensive back in its day so lots of folks defected to the little 49SP or something else entirely.

But the 621 would literally last a lifetime.....

Kevin

Al_Smith

The number was a 6 something .can't remember .I'd give it a heads up from a Stihl 026 after I got through with  it .At the time I was interested in running over cants for speed runs .J-red was never a front runner here regarding numbers sold .Never the less it seemed like a nice little saw .
Unlike a lot of people who for example can recite things like bar codes from memory ,I can't .Same with many saws ,weed wackers etc . .I've lost track of the many I've done everything from complete overhauls to just tinkering with .Most so called saw shops are not interested in doing repairs and are more interested in selling new ones .Some eventually end up in my garage where I might or might not repair depending on who owns them and how they act .If they get huffy I won't touch them and I don't deliver them .I'll stop ,rant over  :D

Real1shepherd

I don't know then if it was 49cc. The 621 was 56cc.

If you noodled around on Acres site, you might recognize it by a pic.

Jonsereds had a very spotty dealership network back in the day and therefore there were hot spots around the country for them. Tilton in MN was the big one. Then Portland,OR in the 70's there was Scotsco. A member in the AS forum who lives in Maine said at one time, there were 20 Jonsereds dealers within a half hr drive. That blows my mind! Some places never even had them......actually I would say 'many' places never had Jonsereds.......like Texas.

Now, I'm talkin' about the older Jonsereds that were pre Electrolux Group AB saws. Once they became Husky clones, they were sold alongside Huskies.

Kevin

Al_Smith

Al_Smith

On that popularity thing Partner as I've said often was not a seller in these parts but the concrete saws were .I had never seen the large ones,P-100 but I now own two .It was maybe 10- 12 years ago at a get together near Meadville Pa about 4 or 5 showed up .The large Homelite 2100S which I own one I've only seen about 3 of and mine was the only one that ran correctly .One would not start and one had a defective decompression valve and never could reach full power with that thing bleeding off the compression . 
Lombard is another one that at one time had a dealer in these parts but the saws were not great sellers .Considering how long ago it was and the sizes they sold ran fine .I think I have 3 of those, two needing new seals . Coincidently one of those are why I got interested in restoration .Had not ran in 10-15 years and I was cutting wood with it about a half hour after I got it home .Garage sale 25 bucks .A pic of it is on Acre's  site .

Real1shepherd

The 525 was not well thought of in diehard J'reds circles who had used their older saws.

In fact the forum member on AS who lives in Maine I mentioned before refers to them as the 4xx and 5xx cr** saws. He said you could see them in dumpsters around where he lived because they were un-fixable....just a bad series all around for hard, serious use.

Kevin

Spike60

The 450/525 compared to the 49SP that it replaced really does come off as one of the biggest "cost saving" designs ever. I can imagine what it must have been like to be at the dealer meeting when they were introduced. "You gotta be kidding!" The updated 455/535 cured most of the ills. Pretty nice saw to run when they were right though. Very light and nimble. But there are still 49SP's in this area that are in regular use. Can't say that about many of it's comtemporaries. 49's might not have been intended for the pro market, but it was for all intents and purposes a pro built saw. The 49 shared most everything with the 52E which differed only with it's ignition and closed port cylinder.

Jonsered was huge in this area, which explains why we still see plenty of 49's and 70E's around. Partner or Pioneer are pretty much non existant. Might see a Partner wander into the shop every 6-7 years. It's like you guys are saying; most of these brands had regional popularity, but were completely unknown in others. Often it would take a good dealer who actually got behind the saws with parts and service that would make some of these brands locally popular. Selling them out of the local hardware store that never stocked parts was common back then but it seldom worked out long term.

Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

Real1shepherd

Amen to that.

In another thread now, I'm taking a beating for noticing that Squeal saws are predominantly mentioned in the forum. It was just an observation, but the guys are claiming I'm too sensitive all the way to Squeal is the best saw, get used to it and get over yourself. Nothing like making your own informed choice...lol.

We all do agree though that dealer and dealer service available is about the most important aspect of a saw purchase today.

Selling Huskies out of a box store versus selling Squeals from a decent dealership is a big difference/consideration.

Kevin

Al_Smith

Well on that for example there are no actual "dealers " on any other brand but Stihl in this area .Sure you've got Lowes and TSC but they really are not dealers .What very few Husqvarna parts I need I get from a dealer in North Carolina .The rest of them it's normally E-bay .You'd be hard pressed to find parts for Echo, Partner, Pioneer, Dolmar  etc.  locally .Ya gotta do what ya gotta do .The "dead pile " of a genuine  dealer is often a treasure trove of parts .Usually they have no intention of delving into them .

Real1shepherd

Just ten yrs ago here, the Husky dealer and the Squeal dealer were neck & neck. Then Husky disappeared except at the farm store and Home Depot. Not sure what that was all about. Now the John Deere implement place carries Squeal and so does an outdoor implement place that used to be just a saw shop.

So essentially, we have two Squeal dealers and no Husky dealer. Obviously, most people here are buying Squeal with a few taking a chance on Husky at the box store.

I broke down and bought a commercial Squeal weed eater. After decades of buying cheap ones at Walmart/Kmart et all. I don't know why I was always so fussy about my chainsaws, but so stupid about weed eaters. Anyway, the Squeal is the first weed eater I've ever owned that sounds like it has a real chainsaw engine. Hard to start though even following the instructions to the letter. Has the port though to start with a rechargeable drill if you want to spin the engine that way. If it's cold, expect 4-5 pulls....hot 2-3 pulls.

Kevin

Spike60

Stihl gets a lot of mileage out of their "no box stores" boast, but it's really a crock. May be technically correct within their limited definition of what constitutes a box store, but otherwise it's all baloney. They are in all kinds and sizes of hardware stores/chains where the rules are casually bent to support the hollow claim that parts and service are in every location. Usually customers get some kind of "we do the service in our main store" explanation as to where their saw is and when it will get repaired. It's an hour away, we go there every Wednesday nonsense. And the satellite stores may have a very limited selection of parts; again to validate their "lame claim".

Both Husky and stihl do make available every possible type of service support to their dealers. But in the end it falls on the individual dealers to take advantage of those resources. If they won't make the commitment, the service isn't going to be any good. 
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

Real1shepherd

How true Bob....the one Squeal dealer here that was a saw shop works on all the Squeals. I'm betting the John Deere implement place sends them out. Their money bread & butter comes from working on implements and tractors.....as far as service is concerned.

Kevin

Spike60

Yeah, the Deere stores can move a lot of units. But the shops don't usually have a good 2 stroke tech unless they have enough work to hire one. And they often have tiered shop billing; charging a high hourly rate to work on $100,000 AG equipment that they can't charge when working on a weedwacker. So, the house loses money if they pull a tech off the big stuff to work on handheld. And so does the tech depending on the pay plan in some of these big shops. Not a lot of enthusiasm for those guys to hit the saw bench. 
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

Real1shepherd

Yeah, I was thinking that maybe this Deere place has dedicated a small workbench and hired a guy just to work on saws, weed whackers and blowers at a different shop charge than the big equipment. But I really don't know their set up there.

They have a lot of saws, weed whackers and  blowers etc lined up on the walls of the showroom as you walk in. Face it, most farmers have yards and need of that stuff. I'm sure it's been a good side venture for them....maybe even help carry them in tough times....dunno.

I avoid the place like the plague, because I had a machinist/metal working friend who said that place owed him over ten grand for past work. Being a small business man myself, I find that sleazy and inappropriate. I had a rich guy owe me over nine grand once and that nearly finished me....I can relate.

Funny story....that machinist friend had this sort of 'crazy' gal walk into his shop one day. He'd never seen her before. She asked if anyone owned him money. He kind of squinted at her and said, yes? She said give me the bill and I'll get your money. He gave her the invoice for the aforementioned Deere dealership. She came back with a check for the ten grand. He has no idea what she said or what happened there. My fantasy is that she threatened everyone and their children and their children's children....lol

Kevin

Al_Smith

Once again dealers are not all the same no matter if it's automobiles or small powered equipment .I have a dealer of orange saws about two miles away but I patronize one 15 miles away .I seldom wait for parts for more than 4 days if not in stock .The supplier is in Cincinnati about 120 miles south.

Thank You Sponsors!