iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Going back to work

Started by Danny_S, September 19, 2005, 01:46:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danny_S

I got a call last night from a masonry contractor, to help him with the brickwork at the new site of Craig Manufacturing. I am really excited to be able to get back to work and proud to be able to help rebuild the manufacturing plant.

The new building will be approx 65000 sq. ft, all steel construction. There has been alot of planning as to how it will be laid out so that the manufacturing of our products will be as streamline as possible. I had a chance to look at the floorplan today and I am really impressed with how it will all work.

This is about 1/4 of the structure erected so far. This is the front, which will house the offices, reception area and a part of the steel cutting shop.

Another view of the construction so far. Lots more pictures to come.

I was some happy to recieve that phone call. Gonna be good to get back to work and keep busy again.
Plasma cutting at Craig Manufacturing

Timburr

It's cool to see you getting back to work  8)
I may be missing something, but what happened to the old premises?....did it out grow itself? 65,000 sq. ft is monstrous.
What time schedule is planned for the re-build?
And will you be returning back as a fitter/welder when it's done?

Sorry for all the ??, but I'm curious.

Cheers Tim
Sense is not common

Tom

They had a fire and lost it all.

Here is the thread with pictures.

Craig Manufacturing Fire

Timburr

Thanks Tom. That explains an awful lot. Forgive my ignorance.
Sense is not common

old3dogg

Good to hear that you are going back to work. Hard work keeps one out of trouble. I work 2 jobs now. Im beat but its the "good kind of tired". I sleep well!
Good luck!

Danny_S

No ignorance.. that's what we do in the forum..ask questions and such!

I was a welder for them, and did some of the installation work as well. I hope to be able to move into the installation bay full time, that was pretty fun working on new equipment and such. We will see how it all pans out.

Paschale

Hey Danny...this is good news!  It's definitely been a rough road...but it sounds like things might be better than ever once she's up and running full throttle.  It's good to see how the human spirit tackles overwhelming obstacles, and so often, though things seem hopeless, often things are better and stronger than before.  Let's hope that's the case with Craig Manufacturing!
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

SwampDonkey

Glad to see things shaping up Danny. Is the new building in the industrial park?
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Danny_S

Yes, the new place is up in the park, near Humpty Dumpty. I was there for a few hours this morning working but we are held up for a few days due to changes in the plan. There is a overhead crane going up that needs to be erected before we can block up any further. Oh well, I need some time off after that 3 1/2 hours work..HAHAHA!!

Danny_S

Update... the plant is coming along very fast...

This is the plant all enclosed, the doors and windows are explected next week.

A look down through the shop.

This is the plasma cutting system beginning to take shape.

This is one of many jib cranes throughout the shop. We have many overhead gantry cranes as well rating from 3 tonne to 10 tonne. The 2 gantry cranes over the plasma cutting area will span 75' with a capacity of 5 tonne!

SwampDonkey

Wow Danny, that place is going to be bigger and better than ever. I wish everyone, including the owners and workers, great success and prosperity.  8)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

sawguy21

Now if I had room for a shop like that. :D Good to hear things are going well for you.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Danny_S

New stuff is showing up every day. The other day we got 2 cnc milling machines, a cnc lathe, a cnc bandsaw, a new steel roll, some new carts and racks, 2 - 75' gantry cranes, with a box beam girter that measured 42" x 16" !!  What a mammoth of a gantry crane.  Most all of the smaller cranes are in place, except for a few jib cranes.  17 - 18 new Lincoln mig welders showed up, lots of nice looking stuff there.. oh it is just like Christmas. :)

Timburr

If they are kitting out the tooling, it won't be long then.

So, when do you move back in?
Sense is not common

Danny_S

Well there is still no official word yet but I presume the second week of December we will likely be going in for training sessions and equipment setups and such. There will be alot of training on the new machines for the operators and such. There will likely be finish up work going on for months and months... so many little things to be done and sorted out. It will be pretty exciting, at least for me, to get back at it. Oh, one of the new rules is that there will be absolutely NO SMOKING in the building. This likely wont go over too well with some of the employees. Will be interesting how that pans out. I dont care because I dont puff on them things anymore! 

More pics to come soon and I will also try to shoot a short video tour and get it uploaded here if I can work something out with the cap'tn.

Tom

Well now,  you have become an old timer for sure because of the fire.

I can hear you now as you roll your eyes thoughtfully skyward and respond to a new employee with,  "Way back before the fire........"   :D

Timburr

Very droll Tom. I like it ;D ;D
Sense is not common

Danny_S

There has been lots going on in the last couple weeks, Here is a link to a newsletter on our website that shows some pictures and the progress...  http://www.craig-mfg.com/Nov05Newletter.pdf  we have a couple of weeks left of masonry work and then I hope to be going to work for Craig's again helping with the final setups.

Oh, and "Way back before the fire, I was working on this snowplow and......  "   :D Tom..

Tom

There you go......

Now you're gettin' the hang of it. ;D

That goes hand in hand with "Back before the turn of the century........."   :D

rebocardo

Glad to see things are progressing, I hope you guys are up and running soon. I bet there must be a fair amount of people anxiously waiting to come back to work, I know I would be.

Danny_S

8)  well today was the first day back for me and alot of the welders at Craig's. It is certainly great to be back! Today was day 274 since the fire. Pretty good comeback if you ask me! Today was mostly all meetings and demo's by Lincoln welders reps. Still have alot of little things to tidy up, getting work areas finished and ready to work in.

Sure is nice to be back at it.                  :)     :)

sawguy21

Way to go Danny smiley_thumbsup I can only imagine how good you must feel.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Thank You Sponsors!