iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Fun and games with MS170 Oil leak

Started by ChazUK, March 19, 2019, 01:37:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChazUK

Hello All

Newbie here with his first post having joined to solve a problem, my thanks for you help and advice in advance.

So, Stihl MS170 about 10 years old. It stopped oiling the bar on a small job which I had to finish, so I put oil on the bar itself and did what little there was left (it wasn't much).
After researching online re not oiling I had her apart and replace all the parts. The worm gear, the pump, the oil line and the filter. I probably didn't need to do all of them but figured I might as well and I've kept the bits that looked ok for future spares.
I've fired her up and she's oiling the bar, great,,, however I now have oil everywhere behind the bar cover, it's pouring out. I took the bar and chain off and wiped it down, rechecked the bar wasn't blocked, which it wasn't. From what I can see it's leaking from between the bar and the oil channel on the body of the saw, or at least that where I think it's coming from as I can see this actually happening as the cover has to be on.
It's the original bar, so 10 years old but it hasn't had a lot of use in that time, maybe 50 hours? The bar still has 90% of it's paint on it and it doesn't look old and worn. 
I'm wondering if I may have warped the bar a bit buy running it without oil which is causing the leak? I've taken it on and off a few times and can't get it to seal. I've searched the web for similar situations and hadn't found anything like this. I don't think it's "the plug" problem typical to these saws due to where it's leaking from. I was moments away from buying a new bar and chain (which I should probably do anyway) when I found this site and read a post on here and thought I'd join up and see what words of wisdom you kind people might have. Not running the saw without chain oil is something I think I've got covered now ;)

So there you have it. Any thoughts, similar experiences and solutions would be much appreciated.

Cheers all

Chaz
Ex tree surgeon now working on a 30 acre estate. Cutting lawns, hedges, trees, doing a bit of digger work, fence painting, general maintenance, etc.
Bass player and bike rider

Air Lad

Never rains,it pours hey ?
They can be tricky little pumps to fit
Mabye the oil is leaking out elsewhere
You can run with the bar off and check this first
Good luck mate

teakwood

i don't know the MS170 but i'm pretty sure the bar is ok, at almost new condition , as you describe, it should not be the cause. 
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

Drew62

Funnily enough I had the same problem on the ms 180 (non-oiling),and figured the oil line got punctured underneath the front handle-its v.exposed.So I did the same as you and replaced the whole setup and happy days!I can only suggest you recheck all of it.Are the oil line grommets fully seated/is the oil pump correctly aligned and fully seated.Still its strange you are now getting too much oil?Good luck with it.
A slave to the machines.

dougand3

The bar studs screw into the plastic chassis. They have a collar that the bar mates against. Are studs backed out a tad and then saw oil hole & bar oil hole don't meet?
Husky: 372xt, 272xp, 61, 55 (x3)...Poulan: 315, 4218 (x3), 2375, 2150, 2055, 2000 (x3)...Stihl 011AVT...Homelite XL...Saws come in broken, get fixed or parted, find new homes

Thank You Sponsors!