iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mahoe Supermill photos

Started by woodzy88, October 03, 2011, 12:35:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodzy88

Hi ,
Some photos of our Mahoe Supermill and equipment .  

woodzy88

JP135

Sweet mill - looks like they come in XXL size!

Huge logs.

Beautiful country. Didn't expect the snow.

thecfarm

Gotta go,breakfast is on the table. Wow,big trees equals big logs. Is this your buiness?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ernie

Great setup Woodzy!  We sure live in a beautiful part of the world.
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

Bill Gaiche

woodzy88, some really nice logs and lumber. bg

woodzy88

Yes we are blessed to live in this counrty but the politicians and the radicals are doing there best to stuff it up .

That snow was exceptional , i believe about 60 years since we had a fall like that .We allways get snow but not down as far as this fall . It was down to sea level . Great to see but a nightmare for the farmers and it held up our work for a few days . Make the ground soft and wet . Our soil is Volcanic and a little rain will stop a rubber tyred machine working for days. Pine trees in this country grow fast , sometimes to fast and dont have the density for building. Our building code requires timber to be stress graded and the fast growing trees dont pass often. These big old man pines
have a lot of good dense timber in them . I supply a big comercial mill with this old pine and they love it. There band saw only cuts small logs and they struggle getting enough quality timber.
I also cut Macrocarpa and any other species that come my way.
You look at trees differently when you own a mill . Its very satisfying milling a log into something usefull and some nice grains can be found. I would love to have some of the mapel and other  species that ive seen on the forum.

Woodzy

The veiw from our Home mount Taranaki 8260 ft high
woodzy88

Ianab

That pic really shows the scale.

That's a 20ton excavator there making sure the tree goes the right way.  :o

These trees were never planted for timber production. 70 years ago they were just a fast growing tree could be planted along fence lines and stream edges to give a bit of shelter and a windbreak for the cows. But they grow like weeds :D Now they are past their use by date, starting to rot and shed large branches etc. So the farmers either have to pay to take them out, or do a deal with someone like Woodzy who has the equipment to harvest and process them. Even just taking them down is a hazardous undertaking, even with heavy machinery. Large scale mills aren't interested because of the over size and poor recovery.

He took me out to see the operation the other day after I helped him with some photo upload gremlins, very nice operation. What the pics don't show is in the pole shed he has roller stands and a table (with rollers). All the good boards can be pulled off and stacked.  Anything that comes off the mill and doesn't make grade just gets pushed out the other end straight into a firewood chop saw and conveyor into the truck for delivery. So even if a log is junk with big knots, bugs and rot, they can still break even as firewood. Pine is acceptable firewood here, as that much snow is unusual, and our fires are designed to burn it (it's 90% of the local trees)

Anyway, you probably see why portable band sawmills are not so popular in this part of the world, as those are pretty normal portable sawmill logs  ;)

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

mad murdock

Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

POSTON WIDEHEAD

These pictures would make a nice screen display on the puter.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Chuck White

Nice stuff Woodsy.

Beautiful Trees

Beautiful Logs

Beautiful Scenery

Awesome!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Norm

Thanks for bringing this back to the top, I missed it the first go around.

Very cool woodsy!

customdave

Yes neat pics!, thanks for posting, very interesting...

Dave
Love the smell of sawdust

Walnut Beast

Knowing what swing mill prices are I could only imagine what the price tag is on this with the 42hp Kubota https://youtu.be/vzqdGYkH9C8

longtime lurker

$60k USD plus add ons, 7 month lead time. Quote for a new one came in this week.

Worth every cent too, they aren't perfect but I'm happy with it. I'd like more HP to carry more teeth and faster hydraulics cuz I'm paid by the tonne not the hour. There's a few "why didn't they set that up different" design issues could be improved upon IMHO. Buy hey... I'm looking at another one not something else and I think that says it all.

My business is dimensional lumber, anyone with an LT70 who thinks they could keep up is welcome to try... but I'm telling ya I favour top shelf rum when it's time to settle up the bet.
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

Jeff

So if they are that far out, I wonder if you could order one with modifications that you seek built in?
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

moodnacreek

The grinder on the side impressed me.

Walnut Beast

That doesn't seem like a bad price. Looks like a Awesome unit for sure! Seems like a good personable company to deal with.

Ianab

Quote from: longtime lurker on June 16, 2022, 04:54:10 PMMy business is dimensional lumber, anyone with an LT70 who thinks they could keep up is welcome to try... but I'm telling ya I favour top shelf rum when it's time to settle up the bet.

And you have to beat LL with 48" dia logs ;)

The Mahoe costs a little more than a top of the line swing blade, but in this part of the world it's a LOT less than an imported Woodmizer. Remember that price includes international freight, while that cost has to be added to the WM price here. 

The over size logs generally go to the portable mill guys to handle, and that's where this mill shines.  
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Thank You Sponsors!