iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

a weekend on the ice

Started by tule peak timber, January 20, 2020, 09:40:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tule peak timber

This past Sat. and Sun. I bought an auger, a plane ticket and an entry ticket into an ice fishing contest. Never done this before and a few pics below document the last 2 days. 5 below zero, not a clue what I am doing and I placed 4th out of 300 folks. What a hoot! Still trying to thaw out. Back to work tomorrow with timber coming in. Cheers  Rob

persistence personified - never let up , never let down

Old Greenhorn

Man, you are living my dream! How did you get the auger on the plane?
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

tule peak timber

It is an 8 inch manual auger and I bought a giant cargo bag to check in. Tumbling down the lakeside rocks in the dark was a real cardio tester- then across the lake surface . I am buying a sled for next year. I learned a to to say the least.....

DPatton

Congratulations Tule Peak! You broke into the Ice Fishing addiction. Next will be $100.00 each ice fishing rods, $400.00 ice auger, $800.00 locator, and a $1000.00 ice house!  :D :D :D In all honesty ice fishing can be addicting at best. Nice catch, at fourth place did you win any money?
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

Andries

A red toque, a white scarf and standing out on the ice, complete with a trout and snot-sicles!
8)   8)   8) 8)   8)
You're warming my heart, Rob.
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

thecfarm

Temps like that can make it less enjoyable. But still nice to do.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

WV Sawmiller

I know where you can get the ice fishing house for one SGU. :D We can just use the outhouse option and fish through the hole in the floor.

If it doesn't warm up here soon I may have to borrow your auger and take up the sport. Keep up the good work.

Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

petefrom bearswamp

Brrr Where did you go Rob?
There is hardly enough ice here to support my pals who love ice fishing.
Me? not so much
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

tule peak timber

Nilan lake at the foot of the Rocky Mountain front below glacier park. The ice was 8-10 inches thick and still booming and banging with weird sounds. A new experience for me.

Southside

We used to call that "making ice" - no idea if that was actually true or not.  Were you using a jig pole or tip ups? 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

tule peak timber

Neither, just standing there with a pole in my hand and a night crawler for bait. I later learned that the guys jigging had more fish per hour than me and were releasing bigger fish than my hard fought trophy. Three local guys won the derby with 3-4 pound fish and knew right where to go in shallow water to score at 6-10 feet deep.Tents, hand warmers, and who knows what else were at their side . I was really happy to scale a fish out of hundreds of entrants on my first try.
  Light brine, alder smoke, and my trout is our dinner tonight. The fish still had peacock iridescence in the brine.Eating in 1 hour.......  8)

reride82

Rob,

Looks like you had a great time! You just missed the tropical weather, it has warmed up since. It's barely freezing now  :D Luckily I am south of that cold system that hit the northern half of the state. There were days there was a 40 degree difference in a little over a 100 miles  :snowball:

Levi
'Do it once, do it right'

'First we shape our buildings, then our buildings shape us'
Living life on the Continental Divide in Montana

Nebraska

The things we do for fun. Glad you had a good time.  That was an adventure for sure.

tule peak timber

Just booked a flight into Wyoming for next month. I hear that they have good trout fishing also and I want to check it out...... :)

Nebraska

They do have good trout fishing. ;), So does Colorado.

olcowhand

Congrats on placing so high in the contest, Rob.
I'm not sure your "Snoticles" would earn you even an honorable mention on Northern Michigan ice, though.....
The guys who win the side-bet longest Snoticles contests usually have 'em 3"-4" long off their mustache hair.
Great post.
Have fun in Wyoming.
You might want to try our spring Steelhead run sometime.....
Steve
Olcowhand's Workshop, LLC

They say the mind is the first to go; I'm glad it's something I don't use!

Ezekiel 36:26-27

tule peak timber

I've steelheaded on the west coast with some success and really enjoyed it. Years ago I caught a big one in Santa Barbara harbor of all places. Really looking forward to Wyoming in a couple of weeks. Cheers !

Andries

Rob, you're looking properly equipped for the Glaciated world, with two minor quibbles:
- those rubber ducky gloves won't keep your hands warm. Pick y'sef up some leather mitts and have knit gloves inside 'em. Works in Canada. 😆
- that looks like a six inch auger on the ice next to you. C'mon now . . . you've left the impression of living a life of setting big goals and comin'  home with the gold. A ten inch hole in the ice will just barely accommodate some of the lunkers waiting for you in Wyoming.
Have a great trip buddy!
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Thank You Sponsors!