iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Logosol F2+

Started by pshupe, May 31, 2020, 08:19:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pshupe

Hello, I'm new here and recently purchased a Logosol F2+.  I would like to hear from others that have this or the F2, or just people that know more about milling than I, which should be almost everyone.

Here it is setup in my driveway for the first time.  The instructions were good although it was missing some pieces but the company was very responsive and sent them right out.  It fits together really well and is rock solid.  Very happy with ease of assembly and fit and finish.

First cuts - it worked quite well.  I set it up in the half length configuration.  Most of my milling will be short and it seemed to setup easily in the 1m ( 40") configuration well other than missing some brackets for the front support.  Didn't really need them for support but would have been nice to have them because it is difficult to setup level and square if you are out in a field.  Quick e-mail to the dealer and supports were sent out.   thumbs-up

One thing I did notice is that the clamps only work on the left hand side of the rail.  They are not reversible so I might have to modify the design slightly.

Fairly happy with it.  

Cheers Peter.

Geotech

I'm jealous.  I want to get an F2 or F2+.  What saw are you running?  I just got a 661 and built an Alaskan style mill which I plan to try out next weekend.  Have not milled a single board yet.  I did cut up about 2 cords of pecan wood from a neighbor's downed tree just to put the saw through its courses.  I really enjoyed the saw.  BUT, I needed all day today to recover form the work yesterday....and I have a bunch of firewood I don't need now.  

I was not aware there was a short set up.  I like that.  I wonder if the F2 has that?

pshupe

I have a 660 with a 25" bar and a 36" bar.  I also have a Alaskan sawmill.   I was a little disappointed that the carriage and bar support maxed out at the 25" bar.  Seems a little crazy to me not to be able to cut wider than about 20".  I cut short but wide stuff.  The Logosol, I think, was made for long but small diameter softwood. All the pieces are 1m, so I just set it up with 1m pieces between the log raisers.  

Regards Peter.

SpaceBus

Hey, new Logosol owner here too, here's a shameless thread plug: https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=111115.0

I am running my F2+ with a Husky 395xp and 24" bar and it's pretty good! You can run whatever bar length you want, but accuracy will suffer. I do agree that it's not really meant for huge logs, but we don't have much over 20" diameter anyway. Logosol advertises that the F2+ can handle a 24" diameter log, but you wouldn't be able to use the bar nose steering.

Anyway, nice to see some more Logosol owners, I haven't seen many. Who did you order the mill from? Seems my dealer has never sent out a 6m kit, because they forgot to send me some stuff too... 
Logosol F2+
Various Chainsaws

pshupe

Nice setup.  I'm in Ontario Canada so went through Silvana in Quebec.  They were very good to deal with and I was happy with shipping time, and packaging. I put some aluminum bar bracing on the front of mine to support the weight a little better.  The bracing for the front did not work when broken down from the 6m to the 3m but they did send me a couple of more brackets to make it work.  There were also some bolts missing which they sent out quickly.   The log clamps aren't a great design for shorter logs because they are not ambidextrous.  If the log is irregular shaped or too short I cannot use the clamps because they cannot face the opposite direction.  I think I will drill and tap so I can rotate them 180 degrees.

Here is a typical log I mill.  about 24" in diameter hard Maple.  I have lots of Black Walnut, Hard Maple, and Cherry.

Yes I have actually cut one log with my 36" bar.  I actually didn't measure it but I'm sure it sagged a bit without the support.  I do not have any problem using the support with my 25" Stihl bar.  It tops out at about 22" or so.  My logs are short, large diameter, and heavy.  I just bought a larger Stihl chainsaw which has a 47" bar.  I would love to rig something up to use the Logosol but not completely optimistic.  I don't think you really need the magnet bar support for a 24" bar as it does not sag noticeably. 

Cheers Peter.

Quebecnewf

A lot of guys around here run the chain saw rigs .

While the rig is important most guys agree it's all about the bar and chain . 

Good sharpening and bar maintenance is a must . If you can't sharpen your chains and maintain your bars forget the rest .

Quebecnewf 

SpaceBus

Quote from: pshupe on June 17, 2020, 03:01:31 PM
Nice setup.  I'm in Ontario Canada so went through Silvana in Quebec.  They were very good to deal with and I was happy with shipping time, and packaging. I put some aluminum bar bracing on the front of mine to support the weight a little better.  The bracing for the front did not work when broken down from the 6m to the 3m but they did send me a couple of more brackets to make it work.  There were also some bolts missing which they sent out quickly.   The log clamps aren't a great design for shorter logs because they are not ambidextrous.  If the log is irregular shaped or too short I cannot use the clamps because they cannot face the opposite direction.  I think I will drill and tap so I can rotate them 180 degrees.

Here is a typical log I mill.  about 24" in diameter hard Maple.  I have lots of Black Walnut, Hard Maple, and Cherry.

Yes I have actually cut one log with my 36" bar.  I actually didn't measure it but I'm sure it sagged a bit without the support.  I do not have any problem using the support with my 25" Stihl bar.  It tops out at about 22" or so.  My logs are short, large diameter, and heavy.  I just bought a larger Stihl chainsaw which has a 47" bar.  I would love to rig something up to use the Logosol but not completely optimistic.  I don't think you really need the magnet bar support for a 24" bar as it does not sag noticeably.

Cheers Peter.

My 24" Oregon bar sags, but I think something else is wrong with it, because it won't work on the mill mounted "upside down". I have an old used 24" bar that I can try tomorrow morning. Very strange since I bought the bar just for milling and that is all I've used it for. 

Logosol F2+
Various Chainsaws

U P Gus

F2+ should be delivered tomorrow, anxious to start milling. Will use Stihl ms661 with 20 and 25 inch bars. Most logs will be large aspen (18 - 22 in.) and spruce (16 - 24 in.) Enjoy pics of mill set-ups. 

SpaceBus

Quote from: U P Gus on June 17, 2020, 09:18:23 PM
F2+ should be delivered tomorrow, anxious to start milling. Will use Stihl ms661 with 20 and 25 inch bars. Most logs will be large aspen (18 - 22 in.) and spruce (16 - 24 in.) Enjoy pics of mill set-ups.
UPS says the last few parts I need for the full six meter setup should be here today. Maybe in a few days I'll have the full setup in place. 
Logosol F2+
Various Chainsaws

somewhereinusa

Quote from: pshupe on June 17, 2020, 03:01:31 PMI think I will drill and tap so I can rotate them 180 degrees.

I did that to one of mine. Works quite well.

Thank You Sponsors!