iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Turkey hen with chicks

Started by WV Sawmiller, July 07, 2015, 10:38:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV Sawmiller

My wife and I stopped by last client and collected for work I finished yesterday. On the way back down the winding mountain road home we spotted this turkey hen about 10' from the road. She moseyed off clucking steady then we noticed she had about 9-10 chicks with here. The little guys looked to be about the size of banty chickens. Never got alarmed and just fed off through the woods. Becky got these pictures. She said she is amazed how ugly the hen looks when she blows up her picture on the computer. She looks just fine to me.

I am amazed they ever raise a clutch of little ones here with all the predators and weather. We had over a month in January/February with up to no bare ground and up to 2' of snow on the ground. Don't know what they found the feed on but glad they made it.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

sandsawmill14

good pics  we have so many turkeys it crazy there are 2 flocks on our place with over 75 birds each. now we have no quail.  :(
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

Jeff

We had some stop traffic a couple days ago.very new chicks.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

joecoin

This spring we had a mother with 18 chicks. She's down to 3 now.

clww

Great photos of those birds.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Magicman

Our vegetation is so high that we seldom see hens with chicks..
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

I have not seen a turkey for a while here,really since they started to sit.
I did see a bear the other day.First one I have seen here.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

sandhills

I didn't see them but a neighbor called the other day and said he saw a hen with 10 chicks about the size of the ones in WV's pictures in dad's pasture, I didn't think they'd be that big already.  Been seeing a lot of does and fawns, even some bucks that look pretty good already.

Thank You Sponsors!