iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pro Mac 610 Start/Stop Switch

Started by hms79, April 25, 2024, 05:06:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hms79

After picking up a a new to me Stihl 028 for a nice price, I've decided to to do a little work on my old Pro Mac for a backup saw. After a little fine tuning on the carb, I've remedied the starting problem. However, I've discovered that the start/stop switch no longer works. If the saw is running, the switch doesn't kill the saw. Has anybody ever fixed this? Maybe it's silly, but I would feel a little safer if it worked. Any information would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance for any responses
HS
3 McCulloch Pro Mac 610s, Pro Mac 55, Stihl MS 170, Stihl 028 WB

sawguy21

Check the switch, the brass strip may not be contacting the screw that attaches the wire. Is the wire connected to the coil?
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Al_Smith

If I get time today I'll take a peek at one .I have three of them

hms79

Sorry for my delayed response, work was a disaster yesterday. I didn't get all the way down to see if the wire was still connected to the coil, or really inspect the switch that much, I was more involved in the carburetor at the moment. I remember it was working when I was using the saw last, but that was sometime a couple years ago, as I had been using a lighter, easier to start saw. 

Al_Smith

I finally got around to taking a couple of pictures .It's a toggle switch not a shorting bar like Stihl uses .To get to it the side cover which contains the plastic fuel tank has to be removed .The coil is on the front side of the flywheel ( marked by the screwdriver ) and should have one wire going to the switch .The other  side of the switch should have a wire going to ground .That old Mc Brick I cut a lot of firewood with and it still runs,or used to , about as good as it did back in the 80's .It doesn't see much action these days .

hms79

Hey, thanks a lot for that. I appreciate it!

Thank You Sponsors!