iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timberline Sharpener

Started by vfauto, December 29, 2012, 02:29:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vfauto

:P I found this on the web after reading some of the topics on the forum. I have a H.F. $39 sharpener and it is not very good and takes a while to do a blade even after it is off saw. This looks well built and intresting. Just looking for input before I buy it. :new_year:

http://www.timberlinesharpener.com/shop/timberline-chainsaw-sharpener

Thanks Frank
The definition of insanity is to do the same things over and over and expect a different result!

beenthere

Frank

What do you think you will like about it?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

vfauto

Accurateness and ease of use because I only sharpen a few times a year. It would be difficult to get good at filing.
The definition of insanity is to do the same things over and over and expect a different result!

beenthere

From what I see of this jig, getting it set correct to begin each sharpening will be a time consumer. Doing that setup just a couple times a year may be more rigorous than it is worth. Sharpening that infrequently, but needing the precision that this jig offers may not warrant the high price, IMO. But if it is of interest, I'd say go for it.  Do you only run a couple two or three gallons of fuel through your chainsaw each year?

How frequent one does it per year seems unimportant. Important to me is getting a good sharpening quickly and with little to no fiddling with adjustments. I often touch up the chain after each tank of fuel.

For what I use, just a hand file with a handle. Then the file rolls through a jig that snaps down over the chain which stays on the bar that is held in the bench vice. Sold by husqvarna and believe made by pferd. For about $10.
And it comes with the flat guide for filing down the rakers. Max of about 10 minutes to do chain on 20" bar.
Rollers control file depth and angle is just keeping parallel with the etching on the top of each tooth.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

karlk

I have one it works great . Its very easy to use and makes the chain cut like new.

vfauto

How long have you had it and how hard is it to set up each time you use it?

Thanks Frank

cuterz

I use the Pferd chain sharp. $30 and simple does every thing at once. :new_year:

Fifelaker

Santa dropped one off on Christmas. The first time setup took +-45 seconds it now takes 10 or so. I can sharpen faster by hand with a file but not by much and  the angles are perfect. The one thing I see is there isn't enough hook but every 3-4 sharpnings I can correct that with a file. It also cant do rakers. Overall I would rate it a high 8 low 9. Main reason is it will get the tooth SHARP.

cuterz

Since I have every flavor of chain that thing would cost too much! I like the Pferd setups.
:new_year:

Thank You Sponsors!