iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What do I do with a monster?

Started by Engineer, February 27, 2004, 11:45:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Engineer

Situation:  The logger cut me another 10,000 board feet of nice white pine for my timber frame this week.  He delivered it to the site and I discovered I have a problem.  Some of the logs are so huge I can't even move them.  There are several pieces that I had cut at 22 feet for roof rafters, and the biggest log scales just over 600 board feet.   By the logger's calculations, it's about a three ton log, and my mill maxes out at 4400 lb. (according to Wood-Mizer).  

Anybody know the best way to deal with something this big?  It's the butt log from a 34" DBH pine, it's 27" at the small end.  I was thinking I could snap a line and try to freehand a rip cut on two sides, slab off enough to reduce the size and weight to get it on the mill.  Any other suggestions?  This is when I need something like an Alaskan mill, but I'll be danGed if I'll buy one just for a half-dozen oversize logs.

slowzuki

Can you block your mill frame at additional locations so it wouldn't be distorted under load?
Ken

raycon

Whats the problem?
To long or can't get it up on the mill?(Use the calculator to the left to estimate weight)

Thats what I'm doing maybe this weekend -- if its not to muddy. Have  42  white pines &spruce that fit that description. I'm going to give the bibbyman-method a try. (Its in the Knowledge base under cutting logs to big(length) for mill).

Put some extra car jacks under the mill -- if you're worried about tweaking the mill.  

What size rafters you cutting w"x" hx 22'?   The calculator to the left listed weight at 3128 lbs -- don't know what MC thats at.  Use one of the chainsaw attachments (Granberg) that attaches to the bar and quarter the larger logs. You can achieve the same result clamping (2x2)block to the side of the bar with a c-clamp and laying a 2x4 guide on the log - - just be careful.

Make a log bunk for future use. When the logger drops off the future logs have him off load as many as he can fit onto the log bunk. (Same height as mill). My buddy likes to see if he can bust the one I built loading the larges of trees on it came home and he filled it with tulip that was 30" x 20' on it. Don't  know what to do with the tulip so its still on there and the pines in the snow & mud.

Lot of stuff..

rl

I had a log this summer to big . hydraulics did load it. I put the saw head all the way up ,blade guides all the way out, got on top of it and made knotches so every thing would clear. turned 90degrees went till i couln't go any more turned again  I think the but end was 34" 12' log and got 360' of mostly 1x16  kind of a pain but well worth it good luck rl
rl

Engineer

Excellent.  Being a relative newbie to the Forum, I didn't know all those cool calculators were there.  So if green EWP is 36 lb/cf, that means my log is about 4150 lb.  Just barely small enough to fit on the mill.  My tractor can only lift about 900 pounds, so these will be fun to work with.   Looks like a full day of winching, cant hooks and hoping the logs slide easily on the mill bed.

At least this time around they're not full of dirt, ice and road crud.  >:(

Tom

Welcome to the forum, RL.

Rl's attack is mine as well.

The danger of the big logs is the bolts on the legs.  If you get some blocking under the mill you can safely load a "huge'' log.   The problem that I see is the length. You will need to move the log fore and aft to get the blade out of it.  A log that big isn't going to be too friendly and I doubt that moving it is an option.  If you want the length, then you will probably have to get an extension or use some other method to cut it down in size so that you can move it on the mill.

Those legs will hold a lot of weight but don't trust them.  If the bolts shear, that rascal will come down. If you can put it on the mill with the loader then the mill should handle the weight.  If the loader won't put it up there, the mill may still be able to handle the weight but you need to be very careful at every turn.

raycon

The car jacks -- I mean jack stands.
I use them under the tongue of the log trailer as well . There rated for 6 tons each -- cost $40.00 for two maybe less maybe more.
Lot of stuff..

rl

engineer did you saw that log yet . by the way i got on top of it with a chain saw  how you do it  rl
rl

Engineer

No, haven't even tried to saw it.  It's gonna wait for a few weeks until I can get to it.  I just found out today that the logger cut about four more, roughly the same size.   :(

Bibbyman

I think I'd call the logger back and see if he'll trade those big logs back for smaller logs.   I suspect the reason you got such big logs is that the production mills in your area won't take them. (I could be wrong)

Otherwise,  make that 22'er a 10' and 12'..  

Oh yea,  Welcome to the Forum RL....
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

isawlogs

Bib
   He can't cut the 22 into 10's and 12 's ..... He cut htem that way for rafters....
 I do sawing for a log house builder here and we do post & beam ... For the big ones we have a crane on site ... It does help a lot ....actualy we use the crane for the little ones to....
  For your big ones I would sugest cuting them into a block ... using the chainsaw to finish the cut on the slabs...
  Then when you start cutting your rafters cut till you can't go no further  put a wedge in to be able to back off the head... use your tarctor to push the the block back the lenght that you need to be able to finish the cut ....
  Thats if yiou have access to the log for the tractor...
  It might not be clear how to do it here but it is in my mind .... ;) ;D ;D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Minnesota_boy

Just email those logs up to me.  I'll saw them out and email 'em back.  ;D :D :D
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

Bibbyman

Here is a link to some info and pictures on the Knowledge base that shows Mary sawing some logs longer than the mill. I think on one project we sawed out over 50 2x10s, 26' long on our LT40.

Sawing logs longer than mill

But I wouldn't want to to start out with a log any bigger than I had too.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

isawlogs

Bib
   Thats what I was trying to xplane.. Pictures are much better
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Engineer

Bibbyman,

Two probs with the big logs - they're off my land, so I don't have a choice - I takes what I gots.  All I gotta do is pay the logger to cut and haul.  Don't really think I'd be interested in letting 36" diameter pine go either, just to get smaller stuff.

The second is that I need 20 and 22-footers for rafters and collar ties.  Some of the logs are cut shorter (16' and 14') but even then, they are too big to handle.

The logger had to leave three logs on the landing because the boom grapple on his truck couldn't handle the weight.

Stephen_Wiley

QuoteJust email those logs up to me.  I'll saw them out and email 'em back.  ;D :D :D

Quite clever, Minnesota - maybe you and I should start a business just like CK and 'Duh' Duane have.

Mill Email - Sawyers Stephen & Minnesota (MESSM) -

"No log is too big or to small, we cut em' all"

" If I were two faced, do you think I would be wearing this one?"   Abe Lincoln

Minnesota_boy

I truly would like to get those logs on my mill just to see what I could do with them, but I doubt that I could afford the freight.
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

MrMoo

Just a suggestion but perhaps you should consider having someone else saw those logs for you. I know there are at least 2 guys in VT that own Logmaster mills. Logmaster machines will take logs of that size and weight easily. If your interested I can get phone numbers for you on the guys with the Logmaster mills.

Mike

Captain

Well, Jon, I'll just pack the swinger when I 'comes up to visit VT later this month.  

Captain

Thank You Sponsors!