iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

WHat do YOU think I should think?

Started by Old Greenhorn, November 23, 2018, 04:32:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Southside

Quote from: Crusarius on November 27, 2018, 08:22:56 AMI just got a letter from my department asking me to resign because I did not make enough points this year

Not having been on a fire department would you mind explaining that?  On the surface that sure does sound like a poor way to operate. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Crusarius

you get 1 point for showing up to calls and drills. you need a certain number of points to be considered an active member and have the ability to vote for line officers during elections. 

The letter stated you did not make your points therefore you cannot respond to calls and we request that you resign until you can dedicate more time to the department.

It is a very poor way to operate. I have 15 years in just had my second kid. several other ppl I spoke with who received the letter have more years and have just recently lost both parents to cancer... lots of other things went bad this year.

The letter should have asked how the department can help not telling you to resign.

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

moosehunter

Crusarius, your resignation letter should state exactly what you just wrote here. My guess is that this an ill conceived attempt at getting people to show up more often.
mh
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

Crusarius

Moose, you are correct. very poor attempt that is backfiring. I did start showing up more but not because of the letter. My life has finally calmed down enough I can once again begin to participate.

However, I am actually breaking the rules showing up now since the letter told me I could not respond anymore.

Ahhhh what to do? what to do?

I sense circular redundancy error! :)

Southside

Sounds like a change in management would be a good thing.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

mike_belben

To err is human.  To blame it on others shows management potential. 
Praise The Lord

Crusarius

Quote from: mike_belben on November 27, 2018, 10:30:08 PM
To err is human.  To blame it on others shows management potential.
haha, so true :)

WV Sawmiller

Reminds me of the 6 phases of a major project in my previous life:

1. Enthusiasm
2. Disillusionment
3. Panic
4. Search for the guilty
5. Punishment of the innocent
6. Rewards for the non-participants
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

SawyerTed

:D :D :D :D I had a supervisor who went to the same management training.  :D :D :D :D  I was always having to fix the stuff others fouled up.  
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Old Greenhorn

I had forgotten I let this sit for so long (not this thread, but the actual issue).
OK, so this is an old thread, but I thought I would follow on with more info I just got the other night. The son stopped by on other business and I asked him if he talked to his Dad about the sign. He said "Yeah I did, but don't worry about it. He saw a guy tearing down that road across his lawn on a 4 wheeler and assumed it was you. I knew if wasn't you, but he is getting weird these days. Don't worry about it, but maybe you might want to stop in and talk to him. I am not even sure it really happened."
 Well, I don't have a 4 wheeler, just a UTV that plugs along and has never been on his lawn. If he is correct, then we BOTH have a problem with somebody that doesn't belong there. The landowner I take care of does have a big powerful 4 wheeler, but he too would never venture off his property into 'the unknown'.  He also has no interest in exploring (hell, I have trouble getting him to come on down to look at something I have a question about in HIS woods.)
 So if I can make enough time this weekend before the big snow, I will drag a tree across the road and set my trail cam in that spot. Then when my chores are done I will make a visit and tell him what I have done and why. The only thing I can figure is that we have somebody (usually a new resident) on the road who thinks 'the woods' are open to everyone for fun (we had that about 15 years ago with one guy who was reckless and drove us all nuts until he flew up from the low side of the road one night and landed on the hood of a passing car, maybe the cycle came around again). I don't want folks running around on the land unless I know who they are, why they are there, that they have the landowners permission or mine, and they know our rules.
 We live in an area where we have a lot of 'weekenders' that is, folks who live in city areas like Long Island, Brooklyn, Manhattan (NYC), New Jersey, and have second homes here where they come up every weekend to relax and play. They are at a disadvantage because they never really get the feeling of the community and how folks get along. It sometimes can cause conflicts or animosity. The vast majority are great folks and get along fine. (Some are even forum members!) They are a big contributor to our economy. But in every group there are always a few.... If I find him/her, we will have an exercise in communication skills.
 I'll let you know if anything ever really comes of this, but I doubt it will go any further. If there was 'a guy' it was probably a one time deal when he realized he he no real path once he left our property. That trail won't work for him in the future. More likely (in my mind) it never really happened, But I will do what I can to bring him peace of mind, because its easy to do.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Thank You Sponsors!