iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The most beautiful

Started by Jeff, September 02, 2018, 04:44:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Jeff

Hmmm... a little concerned. A hundred or so fell last night, although we had a good storm. All are polka dotted.

btulloh

The ebola virus looks real nice under a microscope.  I hope for your sake it's an interesting phenomenon and not some terminal disease.  I'll be curious what the great minds have to say about it.  I'm sure they'll be along shortly.

When do your oaks start turning, up the there in the great white north?  A little early for that, even at your latitude I would think.  We're a long way from that here, but the black walnuts have already started dropping leaves.

I hope you're enjoying your long holiday weekend.

HM126

Texas Ranger

the polka dots look like environmental pollution, a little random for insect damage
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Jeff

I'm wondering if it's from the excrement from the reinfestation of the gypsy moths. The very top leaves on the oaks look feathered from the ground due to being eaten.

Way to early for the leaves to turn.

mike_belben

Thats that "blight" i been talking about.   Sassafrass and maple plus anything in the cucumber family got hammered with it here, from the ground up.  It splashes off the dirt then climbs.  Lost my cukes, cantaloupe and maybe corn to it.  Oaks havent seemed quite as bad but the sapplings with leaves at ground level got it.  Maples and sassafrass its up over my head and then some.  Ill have to look closer.  
Praise The Lord

mike_belben

Oh it also got the wild blackberries.
Praise The Lord

btulloh

That sounds pretty bad Mike.  What's the cure?  
HM126

mike_belben

No idea.  Starting to think i need to have the county forestor out again.

I mean in some ways im like hey its saving me work if the shade tolerants get ratchet back a few clicks.. But its definitely cutting into dinner. 
Praise The Lord

Don P

I'd guess an insignificant late season fungal leaf spot :P

and while reading... Mike, look up anthracnose, it sounded kind of like what you are describing.

ellmoe

Looks like a "Real Tree" camo pattern, first photo especially.
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

Ron Scott

Are the leaves falling fast from entire crown?
~Ron

Jeff

There was around 100 leaves on the ground this morning after last night's storms, but I didnt see any more falling today.

mrcaptainbob

Timely post. Went for a ride today and saw many, many trees with turning leaves. By the color I thought maybe maple and thought it's wayyyy too early. Closer look and they were all oaks. Not just the younger ones. Not just the tops. Kinda all over the map tree-wise. Up high, mid-point... this is in south Jackson County, Michigan. Some kind of oak blight? Other brand trees right beside are okay.

terrifictimbersllc

Looks like its spreading to your thumbnail.    :'(
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

LeeB

Looks suspiciously like oak wilt to me. I really hope I'm wrong.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Thank You Sponsors!