iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

any one using a 2 sided planer

Started by ozarkgem, May 02, 2016, 07:54:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ozarkgem

I am toying with getting a two sided planer next year and was wondering if anybody is using one. I know about the Logosol but I was thinking of something bigger. I had some straight line sawing done and they had a Lobo. Man what a planer! I didn't see it run but it was impressive sitting there. I think a 20 hp on top and 15 of the bottom. My kind of power.
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

scsmith42

I run an Oliver 5240 jointer planer with spiral cutterheads.  One nice thing about the Oliver is that is has a spring loaded feed belt that moves the lumber across the jointer head, so you are able to face joint and plane, as opposed to simply double planing.

25hp top head, 20 hp bottom head and it will hog some material!
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

ozarkgem

Quote from: scsmith42 on May 03, 2016, 06:24:50 AM
I run an Oliver 5240 jointer planer with spiral cutterheads.  One nice thing about the Oliver is that is has a spring loaded feed belt that moves the lumber across the jointer head, so you are able to face joint and plane, as opposed to simply double planing.

25hp top head, 20 hp bottom head and it will hog some material!
Looks like a great rig  but at 40 grand it will be a while for me. May just have to keep turning my boards over.
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

GAmillworker

I recently upgraded to a double Oliver like scsmith42.  My old double planer is a 30" Buss that opens to 18" its three phase with direct drive 20hp top and bottom.  Its for sale 5K.
Thank the Lord for second chances

ozarkgem

Quote from: GAmillworker on May 12, 2016, 10:05:22 PM
I recently upgraded to a double Oliver like scsmith42.  My old double planer is a 30" Buss that opens to 18" its three phase with direct drive 20hp top and bottom.  Its for sale 5K.
I don,t have the power for that or anything that would lift it. LOL

hackberry jake

You definitely need to get one soon! I'm tired of playing maple!
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

ozarkgem

Quote from: hackberry jake on May 25, 2016, 08:48:01 PM
You definitely need to get one soon! I'm tired of playing maple!
I found a LOBO not too far away. It is a beast. 50 hp total. Lets me out. If I come down there sometime could we go visit Lee's mill? I hope I remember his name right.
Jim

hackberry jake

His name is Coy, and we sure could!

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

ozarkgem

Quote from: hackberry jake on May 29, 2016, 07:01:33 AM
His name is Coy, and we sure could!
Wonder where I got Lee?  LOL    I am in Montana for the summer so it will be fall before I make it down

Glenn Ohman

Quote from: ozarkgem on May 02, 2016, 07:54:39 PM
I am toying with getting a two sided planer next year and was wondering if anybody is using one. I know about the Logosol but I was thinking of something bigger. I had some straight line sawing done and they had a Lobo. Man what a planer! I didn't see it run but it was impressive sitting there. I think a 20 hp on top and 15 of the bottom. My kind of power.

Never run one, but they where common in large furniture factories back in the day. Personally I would spring for a facer (powerfeed jointer) before a double sided planer.

What about a planer-matcher? The have at least four heads (top, bottom, two on the periphery) so you can surface all faces of the board at one time.

Glenn

ozarkgem

4 sided would take a lot of adjustment for each width plus a lot of power and bigger dust collection system. If I had a lot of the same size it would be great. I have stacks and stacks of random width. I do have a 2x6 4 head moulder but haven't used it yet.

hackberry jake

I do know where an Oliver facer is.... Well, the lower half. The powerfeed system on top is MIA. It's basically a 36" jointer. Been sitting outside for years.

ozarkgem

Quote from: hackberry jake on June 01, 2016, 08:47:57 PM
I do know where an Oliver facer is.... Well, the lower half. The powerfeed system on top is MIA. It's basically a 36" jointer. Been sitting outside for years.
It would be fun to see but not sure how much use it would be for me. I think that sounds like your kind of machine. I will come and look at it at your place. ;)

hackberry jake

Come on out. I'd be happy to show you around. There's always a half dozen jobs going in the shop at once, so it's hard to keep clean, but you're more than welcome. As far as a 36" jointer? I only have a 16" planer, so I think I'll stick with the 16" jointer.

ozarkgem

Quote from: hackberry jake on June 02, 2016, 08:49:40 PM
Come on out. I'd be happy to show you around. There's always a half dozen jobs going in the shop at once, so it's hard to keep clean, but you're more than welcome. As far as a 36" jointer? I only have a 16" planer, so I think I'll stick with the 16" jointer.
When things cool off this fall I will buzz down and see you.

Thank You Sponsors!