iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Large Eastern White Pine Project

Started by Stephen1, December 14, 2019, 09:12:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stephen1

I receive a phone call this week asking if I can help this gentlmen out in slavaging hi large EWP. Of course I can! Now how large is it , I ask. 48" across. Thats big, but ussually people tell the flared butt size. Well he didn't lie. It's almost 48" for 16' drops down to the 30" at 16. He would like it sawn into 2-3 table tops @3". A3rd of the log is to be put on the wall so he can mount his Tropheys. I als picked up the top of this log, 13' long a good 35" up to the crotch, he would like this sawn in half and mounted on either side of his fireplace. oh yeah, can I have a mantle also. He wants it all KD as it has bugs in it, as it was dropped last spring. 
I had to leave the butt log as it weighed in at 9700lbs, with the construction company who is going to float it down to a buddy who has a widened WM to 54" to saw it and I will probabilly take the crotch log and have him saw it also. 
We will cut some rounds off the bottoms to make bases, as I can only handle 13' in the kiln. 

IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

samandothers

That is a biggun!  I look forward to seeing the slabs you and your buddy saw from these logs.

thecfarm

Not the best log,but I had a bunch like that. Sold them for pallet grade and made out good. Now that grade is half that much. :(  But I had some nice looking logs too that was 4 feet across. Had to cut a "road" for the tree to fall into. Took more than a tank full of gas to limb them out too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Stephen1

Nope, not  the best if you want lumber, but for what this customer wants its perfect, knarly, and will look good in his great room. 
The table tops will be beautiful.
I will get some pictures of us slabbing it. It won't be untill the New Year. I am heading south next week for some R&R in florida.
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Bruno of NH

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Peter Drouin

I get customers to want me to cut junk like that too. I tell them no. But, If there a pest, It's $150.00 an hr. That time starts when I start to unload the junk off the trailer.
I really don't like fooling with it.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Magicman

Looks like money to me.  I'll saw anything that the customer wants sawn and the hourly sawing rate is the same.  When it takes longer than normal to get it done, more $$$ in my pocket.  ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

richhiway

Quote from: Magicman on December 15, 2019, 12:20:46 PM
Looks like money to me.  I'll saw anything that the customer wants sawn and the hourly sawing rate is the same.  When it takes longer than normal to get it done, more $$$ in my pocket.  ;D
How is your knee healing up?
Woodmizer LT 40
New Holland 35 hp tractor
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

Magicman

It's healing and bending quite well I think.  Kinda like da monkey said when he got his tail chopped off.....won't be very long now!
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SawyerTed

Good to hear the knee is healing @Magicman 

I have a customer that I saw all sorts of ugly logs for.  It is just another job.  Some of it turns out beautiful. Some is junk.  All gets sawn at my regular rates.  He gets ridiculous money for what I consider rotten mantels.
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Stephen1

I like to do these projects, and they pay me Well!
I see the crotch log sawn in half and then the chain saw carver, who has a log scratcher, cleaning all bark off,  and then taking the torch to it. It will end up looking like bark again. 
It all gets done at my hourly rate. I will also get a bunch of time in the kiln also...So a win for me. 
I like to help the customer with lots of money spend it 8) 

Magicman

Yup, the fact is all jobs are not pretty, perfectly staged, nor what I may or may not agree should be sawn.  When you are in the portable sawing business, and want to stay in that business you look at what the customer has, explain to the customer what has to happen to saw the logs, sign a sawing contract, and go to work.

It is very rare that I make a pre-saw visit but I do ask for pictures when available.  In 17 years of portable sawing, I do not recall not being able to saw the customer's logs.  On rare occasions I am sure that I came out not making what a good job would have paid, but I always leave a satisfied customer.  Satisfied customers are repeat customers.

mike_belben

I am looking for the thread of the guy who cut his woodmizer and built an alumimum insert for the tube so he could widen then head out and bolt it.   @Stephen1  mentioned his friend, this thread turned up when i searched with "widen"
Praise The Lord

chet

I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

trimguy

Mikes has something up his sleeve 😁

mike_belben

No no not at all.  A friend of mine had a 4ft maple slabbed up by a widened woodmizer and i just wanted to see if it was the same guy but it wasnt. A clone of the same mod. 
Praise The Lord

Stephen1

That mill I used was just sold for 55k Canadian 3 monthes ago. It was a 1998 LT40HD widened and a new 30 horse Kohler installed. Prices are insane. 

Thank You Sponsors!