iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How do you line up your beams?

Started by Satamax, July 24, 2021, 12:54:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Satamax

Hi guys.

On my sawmill i'm always struggling.  I don't have any toeboard yet. Nor log turners. What i do, when i make beams, or squares, yesterday, i was doing 3"x 3" or thereabouts. I cut a 3" board, well 2 in that case, laid one on the side. Then tap a chalk line parallel to the bark, more or less. Then clamp one end square, and line that chalk line  with a spirit level. Clamp the other end.

It is a pain. I wonder how plus, for the last cut, i couldn't get close enough to the dogs. So i didn't have the right thickness. I should have turned the piece again.

This is getting old!

Here is how it looks. 

Sawmill cable follower 4 - YouTube
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

nativewolf

@Magicman Take a look at his ride along setup.  Don't be jealous :D

On a serious note we too have some issues getting that last board.   A log turner would help so we're looking for a log deck.  Maybe in your case it would help to actually draw the cut pattern on the face of the log with a log crayon.   Keep the chainsaw handy in case you need to erase the cut marks and do it again :D.  
Liking Walnut

Satamax

Thanks a lot Nativewolf. 

I draw on the end, of course! :D 
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

Thank You Sponsors!