iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

spotting interior rot?

Started by limbrat, June 11, 2007, 10:00:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

limbrat

I found some heart rot in a black oak log, the rot was at a healed over knot both the end cuts were solid. Any cues to look for in spotting interior pockets of rot in black oak?
ben

Dodgy Loner

You just mentioned a good way yourself.  Some red oaks - water oak, laurel oak and black oak that I'm aware of - often have heart rot where there were large knots.  In my (limited) experience with water oak, the higher up on the trunk, the more likely the knot will cause rot.  Has anyone else had that experience?
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Ron Wenrich

I'm not real sure about the southern oaks, but a swelled knot is usually an indication of rot. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

limbrat

There was a small swell that hinted at a knot. Whould the tree have kept showing something after the swell had healed over. I would like to use some rounds as interior post. I wont the charcter twist and swells and such but not the rot.
ben

Ron Wenrich

My experience has been that the swelling doesn't heal over.  If anything, it gets worse.  Another accompanying sign might be shake.  Often shake can end up in rot. 

Another one I thought of was on tulip poplar.  Some times it looks like it has flat spots on the bark.  I've found rot inside the tree when I've seen those spots. 

Bark can be a good indicator.  If it doesn't look quite right, then the quality of the wood is in question.  I saw mainly debarked logs, so I don't get to see the bark like I used to.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Thank You Sponsors!