iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Well here we go...

Started by thechknhwk, March 24, 2014, 10:55:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

justallan1

WOW! One heck of an undertaking. Thanks for including us.

danreed76

still a very impressive build!  I really like the garage doors.  9' tall doors?  I like the idea of the solid panel above the glass panel on the doors, seems to help offset the height.  What brand of doors did you go with?
Woodmizer LT40 Hydraulic with resaw attachment |  Kubota MX5200  | (late)1947 8N that I can't seem to let go.

thechknhwk

Thanks for the comments.  The doors I believe are Dalton, but I can't say for sure since I got them through a local guy.  Price installed was less than the lumber yards and box stores wanted just for the doors and they are R-17.  Plus he brought over a scissor lift to install them and left it for me ;D  Heck of a nice guy!  The doors are 10'x10' in the front and 14'x10' on the west end.

We are currently working on the stairway to the 2nd floor, almost 14' to floor level.  I has 2 landings and will be 4' wide.  I plan to make a pantry/closet under the the first set of stringers and landing.  We have the sheeting for the 2nd floor and windows on site, so hopefully some more progress this weekend.

buzywoodliff

Some rainy day I'll have to read this whole story, just glanced at pictures....  Looking great!!

Lets see.. Sawmill, kubota (with wench), dirt bike, Busch light...if you're a fan of Eric Church we might be kin!!!

thechknhwk

buzywoodliff

You're only 2 hours away..... After seed's in the ground and first cutting hay is done, I'll have to stop by. :)

BubbasDad

That quite the barn! Beautiful land as well! Doin a hell of a job!
John

thechknhwk

Thanks, getting behind on pics, got the stairway framed, the rest of the vertical posts done on the 2nd floor, upstairs subfloor down, dormer framed in, east end windows framed.  I meant to take some tuesday morning, but I got mad at a bracket and had get home to take a nap before my night shift and forgot.

thechknhwk

Installing the baffles between the purlins for the spray foam and finished the sheeting on the west end.

Sunset over the neighborhood.

Interior shots...

Upstairs

Upstairs from the east end.

Brackets all done & the dreaded 8x6x12 racking brace @ the ridge/peak.

thechknhwk

More...

West gable wall, and the machine that did it all, the LT35 :D

Went to pick this up from my dad's for the kids to ride and it stranded me about 700' in the woods.  No one there to help tow it out so I got to push :(

Oak 2x10's cut yesterday to doulbe up the outside stringers on the staircase.

A selfie for the yougin's

Some red cedar for the soffits.  I'm a long ways from that point, but I made some 2x8's for a friend and  ended up getting some 1x6 out of the side boards.

Putting it away, time to go work my other full time job for the weekend.

Jager

Amazing build, I cannot wait to see it all finished!

BCsaw

Curious, as to the use of metal fasteners on a build like this. Not familiar with this, is there "conventional" joinery or just the metal fasteners??
Inspiration is the ability to "feel" what thousands of others can't!
Homebuilt Band Sawmill, Kioti 2510 Loader Backhoe

thechknhwk

Dad2FourWI

WOW! I just read the whole thread.... awesome job!!!! 8) 8) 8)

We built one barn and we have a few more to go... but after seeing what you did.... I "feel" tired!

Just a beautiful job... I too cannot wait to see the house!

Were all the timbers "green" or did you dry them in any way?

We used some oak-wilt killed Red Oak that was dead for over two years and it still checked and shrunk more than I expected in some true 4"x4" railings off of our family room.... I was guessing that they were a bit dryer than that!  :D :D :D

Cheers.... GREAT work!

-Dad2FourWI
LT-40, LT-10, EG-50, Bobcat T750 CTL, Ford 1910 tractor, tree farmer

thechknhwk

Thanks Dad, lol.  Was that awkward? :D 

The timbers were as green as ash that has been dead on the stump for a few years can be.  I do have some cracking in some of the timbers although they were boxed heart and were stickered for a couple months prior to going up.

The house will have to be red maple and smaller... I think the area will be out of ash by the time I get to it.

bogart_bogesley

What grade of steel did you use for your 3/16" fasteners / brackets?

thechknhwk

The brackets were cut from 3/16" sheets, not sure if it was graded.  The fastners are grade 5.

thechknhwk

thechknhwk

Getting some logs for siding.  Having problems deciding on what finish to put on it ???  Any suggestions welcome. ;D

Bathroom framed in.

Some pics I took for WM personal best.

thechknhwk

Wife scared to go down the stairs... :D

Firring strip-palooza & forgot to charge the lift.

Custom scaffold to finish the fir strips over the stairway.

Got the machines dropped into the woodshop.

thechknhwk

Dog ain't worth a hill of beans at grading dirt.

Logosol wired and hooked up to dust redistribution system.

Running..

https://youtu.be/QVsHCWGNz9k

Red cedar fresh out of the logosol

thechknhwk

Red cedar soffit v-groove with some sherwin williams tongue oil deck stain on it.

Bad picture of some of the soffit.

WmFritz

The color looks great.

Are you using cedar for the siding too, or just soffits and fascia?
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

thechknhwk

Just the soffit and door/window trims.  I'm going to do metal fascia & then have gutters put on.

thechknhwk

Gable soffit from on high.

$840 and a few hrs later, fixed the broken cat track.

BTW, I have lots of first revision cat track pieces available.

Stain on the lean-to frame.

Getting a little more organized and 800bf of white pine destined for the logosol.

Thank You Sponsors!