iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

how long for my poplar to dry?

Started by artmo, March 11, 2012, 07:25:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

artmo

have stickererd and covered the top of a pile of tulip poplar. 1 1/4 thick-12-16 in. wide 12 ft. lengths. stacked where there is good air to it and some sun. how long before i can safely nail this up to a shed i am building. will overlap the boards horizontally with about an 8 in. face showing. don't mind a little addt'l shrinkage since this shed is rustic.

OneWithWood

If you are using it for siding go ahead and nail it up green.  Be sure all boards are plumb and snugged up tight.  As the wood dries it will separate and you will have a relatively even gap between the board.  If you are doing board and batten or board on board put up the battens or boards when the first course has stopped shrinking.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

T Welsh

artmo,It will shrink about a 1/2" in 12" wide boards.I am putting poplar up as B&B siding right now and they are going up green,to the point of right off the saw up on the garage. (see cutting for a timber frame garage in sawmill section) Tim

WDH

Down here in Georgia, without vigorous air flow, it will mildew and mold in a heart beat.  If you do not put it up green, put a fan on it.  In one month, you will be amazed how much drier it will be.  Not like oak.  You can dry it fast, in fact, that is better.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!