iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Using green live edge beams in a lake cabin

Started by duaneb, March 07, 2012, 08:28:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

duaneb

Hello, I have a question about using green wood in the construction of a lake cabin.  I am primarily interested in knowing if it's practicle to use green live edge beams (ceiling as well as supporting a small 2nd story) or would it turn into a disaster.  Also, would I run into trouble using green lumber as lap siding?  Thanks in advance for any info that you may be able to offer!

DuaneB

beenthere

Are you wanting the live-edge for looks, or to save some of the sawing?
If free from bark, then you wouldn't have to worry about bark continually falling off.

The framing may be more difficult without some square edge to work from. Others can comment on that.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

duaneb

The live edge is for looks but will be support for the 2nd story, there will be two large beams with multiple smaller beams perpendicular to the larger ones. I'm assuming that green beams will be acceptable...but any info would be appreciated.

DuaneB

Kansas

I used green white (bur) oak beams in my house. 8x8 and 8x12. I did not attempt to use live edges, but while it would be a bit more work, I don't know why you couldn't do it. I would take the bark off. Realistically, sandblasting isn't a bad way to go. That might take the bark off as well as clean up the beams after they are in place. Most likely they will crack and check, which is fine. I chose not to put a finish on mine. What species are you planning on using? ERC works fine for green siding for horizontal. I suspect oak would as well, along with some softwood species we don't have here. Live edge siding would be a slow go, but it could be done. The other option on siding is use barn board types where you cut 1x12's or something similar and use a batten board running vertically.

D L Bahler

I would be skeptical of live edge, but if handled properly it could work.
The problem you will run into is that, with the cambium intact, bugs will be attracted to it. The usual solution in furniture is just to seal it off or treat it in such a way as to make it inhospitable or unattractive to them.
Also, in such a situation the bark will want to fall off. But again, this can be handled.

You can lay out your timbers without any square edges, just requires you to have one solid reference face and center-line references from there. A little more complicated. Either that, or you can scribe your joints to each other. Again, complicated.

Thank You Sponsors!