iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Band sawmill debarker attachment

Started by Thedemoguy, April 03, 2021, 12:27:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thedemoguy

I'm sure this has been a subject in the past but I'm new to this page and milling in general,.
Has anyone designed a universal debarker that I could adapt to my Hudson HFE30. ?
On the first log I ever put on my new mill, about half way through the log I hit a little tiny rock in the bark. 🤷‍♂️
I would like to eliminate that problem and I've been thinking about designing a 12v debarker.
I know if I'm thinking about it someone else has already and probably came up with a good design already.
It would need to be 12volt and run off a battery.
Probably spring loaded to ride the log.
Any ideas ?

Crusarius

I thought about finding an old battery powered circular saw and making an arm to mount it with. Ziptie the switch on and have a switch to turn it on and off. Run it straight off the battery.

In my scary mind that would be the best bang for the buck. I am sure you can find some old 12 or 18 volt cordless stuff with dead batteries. 18 volt should still run good enough on 12 volt to not worry about changing voltages. but when all else vails you can just get a simple dc to dc converter.

Thedemoguy

It's hard to believe someone doesn't make a universal 12v debarker 

barbender

I don't see how you would make a "universal" one, companies seem to have enough trouble engineering them to work on one specific model. I guess you could maybe make a basic system with a different mount for each model of mill.
Too many irons in the fire

JRWoodchuck

Somebody built one that was on this website that was modeled after woodmizers and it looked like he did a great job. I don't recall who it was though. I would imagine if you searched the forum you could find it. 
Home built bandsaw mill still trying find the owners manual!

DDW_OR

use the search button
click on   Show results as messages  
then do the following keyword searches separately
debarker
de-barker
"de barker"
"let the machines do the work"

terrifictimbersllc

Also include debarked. Autocorrect you know
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

farmfromkansas

Just searched the 3 ways for debarker, and only got this thread.  ???
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

JRWoodchuck

Home built bandsaw mill still trying find the owners manual!

DDW_OR

"let the machines do the work"

Crusarius

If you change "this topic" to "all topics" in the top search it works well.

farmfromkansas

Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

Thank You Sponsors!