iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wood Mizer Debarker Attachment

Started by Nose_Full_of_Dust, April 30, 2004, 02:34:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nose_Full_of_Dust

We are operating a WM LT40 and are thinking about buying or BUILDING a debarker for obvious reasons. I would like to know your opions on this attachment and if you think it's worth the price?  Also, do you know a good location to buy this item or if you have ever built one yourself?

Many Thanks
Pete
Slider Mills helping everyone in WV build their dreams.

ronwood

Nose_Full_of_Dust

Welcome to the forum. My Woodmizer has a debarker and I am quite happy with it. You can call Woodmizer to purchase a debarker. They should be able to tell you what you exact need. There was another thread recently on the forum and the responses were in favor of the debarker.

Good Luck
Ron
Sawing part time mostly urban logs -St. Louis/Warrenton, Mo.
LT40HG25 Woodmizer Sawmill
LX885 New Holland Skidsteer

Nose_Full_of_Dust

Thanks Ron, nice to meet you. Will be looking into the debarker since the "axe in hand" gig is getting way to slow.

chet

Welcome aboard Pete. Make yourself at home, your among friends here. And don't forget to plant your tree on the members map.
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Rod

I was thinking of building a debarker with a 1hp motor, 1750 rpm,with a 6'' pulley (the pulley is a guide so the blade will not cut to deep) and bolt a 7 1/4''  blade to the pulley.

DR Buck

Nose_Full_of_Dust

Welcome to the forum.  I got my LT40 with the debarker.  By far the best option to own.  It costs around $1800 and is worth every dollar.

Building one may be one option, but with the WM debarker, you can control the the contact with the log from the console which keeps you from getting in front of the blade if the debarker gets caught on a knot.  AND IT WILL!

Dave
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Nose_Full_of_Dust

Thanks Dave.  Good info in regards to the "catching on a knot" issue.  Never thought about it and your input is appreciated.

Oregon_Sawyer

It will make a great difference in your blade life with a debarker.  I would buy the one from WM.

On my first mill I had their early version.  I  later updated it and ended up with one that had parts from both the old and new version on it.  If you are absolutely determined to build your own I will go in the attic and see what parts I have.  The motor on the old one was the same motor as your feed motor.

My new mill of course has a new one on it.

Loren
Sawing with a WM since 98. LT 70 42hp Kubota walk behind. 518 Skidder. Ramey Log Loader. Serious part-timer. Western Red Cedar and Doug Fir.  Teamster Truck Driver 4 days a week.

rs1626

HEY LOREN I WAS THINKING OF MAKING ONE FOR MY LT 40  DO YOU KNOW WHAT YOU HAVE AND HOW MUCH YOU WANT FOR IT?

Nose_Full_of_Dust

Hi Loren,

I appreciate the input and will await the list of parts you have.  My partner and I are both capable mechanics and are seriously thinking of building our own.  Obviously, this will take some time in putting together a safe and accurate machine and when done, the forum will receive all the info we gathered in the debarker prep.  Let me know what you have and or any other info you can supply.  It's much appreciated.

Have a great day and keep trucking,
Pete

D._Frederick

Nose,

Bibby had a shop made de-barker on one of there mill that did a good job, check with him for a picture, a good starting point.

sparks

The debarker for the LT40 is $1465.00 plus shipping. It is designed specifically for the mill you have and has a one year warranty. If your going to make one, watch out for the weight. It cannot weigh more than 75 lbs. If it is over that, it will cause the motor to overwork and, if you have a Setworks or Accuset, could cause it to shut down.
If you bought the mill used, please call and get it registered. We will tranfer the mill out of the previous owners name and into yours.
Happy sawing and welcome to the Wood-Mizer family.
\"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.\" Abraham Lincoln

Nose_Full_of_Dust

Sparks,
  Thanks for the excellent input on the debarker.  Very informative.  The mill is also properly registered with WZ.

Pete

Oregon_Sawyer

I am on a big cutting job this weekend.  I'll get the parts out and take a picture and post it.

Loren
Sawing with a WM since 98. LT 70 42hp Kubota walk behind. 518 Skidder. Ramey Log Loader. Serious part-timer. Western Red Cedar and Doug Fir.  Teamster Truck Driver 4 days a week.

Bibbyman

Here are the pictures of the Jones debarker we had on our manual LT40G18 mill for several years.  It was a well-built unit and worked well.  It was built with tool and die shop type methods and parts (polished rods and roller guides, machined aluminum mounting plates, etc.)

Although it worked well and was more powerful and aggressive than the Wood-Mizer debarker,  it was "clunky" and awkward compared to the Wood-Mizer Mark-II design.  Plus,  it only floated against the log in relation to the blade guide adjustment arm.  When not in use, it had to be manually pulled back and chained to keep it from running against the cant.

The reason we installed a Jones debarker over a Wood-Mizer is that the Jones debarker could be had in 110v ac and thus did not require a large alternator.  The total conversion cost to go to the 12v dc Wood-Mizer debarker would have been hundreds more due to the cost of the alternator, brackets, pulley changes, belts, shields, wiring, etc.  Also, the bigger alternator would rob power from the engine.

If I had the machinery and skills to build a Jones debarker,  I'd put both to use making tooling and such for other people.  

When we ordered our new LT40HDE25 Super, we could have used the Jones debarker we already had instead of getting the WM debarker.  But it was an easy decision to add the WM debarker.  It was the right decision too.

We tried to sell the Jones debarker to the buyer of our 94 LT40 but he didn't want it.  He later came back and bought it.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Nose_Full_of_Dust

Loren,

Thanks for the help. Will await your pictures and info.  Feel free to email me if that works better for you.

Bibby,

Nice pics and great info.  Thanks for the input.

Pete

Rod

Bibbyman,do you know what hp and rpm the motor was?

Also how did the debarker work on moiving form side to side?

Bibbyman

All the weight of the motor and blade was suspended on the two polished rods at the top.  It slid back and forth on these rods via guide blocks with roller bearings.  The bottom was attached to the Wood-Mizer guide arm shield.  On the LT30/40 series,  this guide arm has a motor controlled by a switch on the control panel that allows the operator to constantly adjust the distance in-out of the guide roller.  Thus,  as the roller guide is adjusted in,  the debarker would be pulled in.  The attachment at the roller guide arm was only to pull the debarker in-out – but not to add any lifting support to the motor/blade assembly.

As I noted above,  the motor/blade had some spring action that allowed it to float somewhat over the contour of the log – say a couple inches in-out.  To keep it from contacting the cant when not needed,  it was chained back as seen in the pictures.

I don't think I ever knew the RPM of the motor.  It was 3/8hp 110v ac.  The blade was 8" dia X 3/8 wide.  Mr. Jones also provides these units in 1 / 4 hp with 1 / 4" wide blades and also in 12v DC.

As I remember,  Mr. Jones has patents on his design.  He also makes the "Little Jockey" tooth grinder for circle sawmill blades.  

Here is his web site with contact info.

Jones Saw tools
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

SawDust_Studios

For what it is worth, we just went from an LT30 manual with no debarker to an LT40HD with Debarker. I've notice twice the blade life.  

Before getting the debarker, we have pressure washed logs and on real dirty logs, used the chainsaw attachment with the planer knives.  

I have a friend who is operating a homemade debarker and it works Ok, but it doesn't compare to the thought and design that went into the woodmizer factory model. Yes, it maybe slightly underpowered (rarely) but it become second nature to use.  Well worth the $1500+ price when you factor in blade cost, resharpening, and the inevitable time it will take you to "fine-tune" your homemade version.

There is something to be said for homemade ingenuity, but why reinvent the wheel?  ;)
Making Sawdust on a Woodmizer LT40SHD CAT 51 /WM Twin Blade Edger and WM DH Kiln

Oregon_Sawyer

Well the two day job turned into about 5 days.  I have to drive my 2200 truck route also. So I have been going daylight to dark and havn't had a chance to get the parts out.  

I think I have the swinging bracket and the springs that help hold it over. I'll try to find time this week-end.

Loren

Oregon_Sawyer

I finally got it dug out but the camera was not in my van. :D  I'll get a picture this weekend.

On the factory WM  unit there is a motor that is mounted on your mill that moves the debarker in and out.  This is mounted about the middle between your blade wheels on the guard frame work.  I don't have that.  Then there is the piece that attached to that that comes down and has the motor for the debarker on it.  That is what i have.  No motor just the framework for the debarker and the alarm is on it.   No reason to reinvent the wheel here. The motor I think is the same one as your feed motor.

I'll post it this weekend and you guys can see if it's worth anything to you.  I have no use for it

Loren

Oregon_Sawyer

Pictures Finally!!!!

Front View

Left Side

Right Side

Make me an offer if this will help you get started.

Loren

beerguy

I have a Hud-Son mill with the debarker, and it is not worth the spit on a stamp. I have seen the WM units, and they work pretty nicely. I never use my unit, cost me 500 bucks. I shoulda bought a stack of blades instead. Anyone that has a HudSon, and wants the de-barker, (maybe the mentally ill)  I will sell mine cheap!

Thank You Sponsors!