iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What type of tree?

Started by Ron Wenrich, August 03, 2008, 11:04:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Wenrich

Here's one of those "you're a forester, what kind of tree is it" type of deal.  I haven't seen this tree, but I'm told that it is in someone's yard in southeastern PA, fairly close to Philadelphia.  It is supposed to be higher than a 2 story house, so that pretty well rules out a shrub.  Here's a picture of the leaves:

and here's a closeup of the bud:

The leaves are about 3" long, so they're a lot shorter than the typical oak leaves on our native trees.  I'm thinking its some type of oak, but could be wrong.  I really stink at ornamental species.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Dodgy Loner

Not sure what it is, but I don't believe it's an oak.  Oak usually have a cluster of 3 or more buds at the tip of the twig.  That tree only has a single bud at the tip.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Tom

It's just a wag, but might it be an Althea of some sort?   I've seen them grow over the tops of houses down here.   Not having a good description of an Althea (Rose of Sharon) I'm just guessing.

Ron Wenrich

That was my initial thought, but Rose of Sharon gets a maximum of 10'.  This one is apparently taller than that. 

When I tried to match something from a forest dendo book, I thought maybe some type of alder. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

WDH

It appears to have opposite branching tendencies, but it shows some alternate tendencies as well.  I do not believe that it is native, so it is out of my league.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Dodgy Loner

I agree - looks very non-native to me...
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

SwampDonkey

It looks to be strongly related to beech though. I see pubescence on the petioles and leaf margins. I would say it's alternate also. The bud sure looks beechy.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!