iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What type of walnut is this?

Started by FalconFan, May 19, 2014, 01:05:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FalconFan

Can anyone tell me if this is black walnut or english walnut?  What is the best way to tell? (ignore the vine in the first picture)

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

WDH

Looks like native black walnut.  One way to tell is that on the native black walnut, the terminal leaflet aborts, so there is a pair of leaflets at the tip of the compound leaf.  Not so with english walnut.  It has a terminal leaflet ( a single leaflet at the tip).

Look at the pic in this link and you will see that the native black walnut does not have a terminal leaflet.
http://dendro.cnre.vt.edu/dendrology/syllabus/factsheet.cfm?ID=32

Here is english walnut, and in the pic, you can clearly see the terminal leaflet.  English walnut also tends to have many fewer leaflets on the leaf.
http://dendro.cnre.vt.edu/dendrology/syllabus/factsheet.cfm?ID=856
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

FalconFan

Thanks for the help.  I noticed the missing terminal leaf but the leaves seem to be wider than what I have seen on the internet for black walnut.

thecfarm

FalconFan,welcome to the forum. Is this your land? Like the barn.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Dodgy Loner

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

FalconFan

Quote from: thecfarm on May 19, 2014, 11:39:06 AM
FalconFan,welcome to the forum. Is this your land? Like the barn.

The land is my grandfathers (about 70 acres), I am going to thin his trees out some and want to replant a mix of hardwoods and pines.  He has a lot of big oaks so I assume thats what his soil is best suited for but I want to plant several other hardwoods to see how they grow.

thecfarm

Are you taking any trees of any size out? Meaning what's the trees going to be used for? Taking care of the land is a lot of work,but alot of fun at the same time.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

FalconFan

I am thinking I will clear out the underbrush and make fire wood out of the trees that arent good for timber.  I will also be planting a few acres that are currently pasture.

Thank You Sponsors!