iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stewardship of a bit of New Hampshire Timber

Started by teacherman, September 16, 2020, 12:39:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

teacherman

Howdy.

I (we) just assumed the responsibility for a small forest a bit east of Concord NH. Our part is about 3 acres of timber that is quite overgrown, but has some nice big trees, mostly pine, oak, and maple, with a number of others. Part of a rather large forest area.  I'm not interested in logging it, but I do plan to start thinning out some of the smaller trees in competitive spindly thickets, and I hope to reduce the fire hazard from so much deadfall and debris on the floor. Plenty of projects ahead, including jacking and restoring a nice old English barn, so this will take a while. Right now just asking for any thoughts and suggestions. We do have a pair of big ash trees still living with zero observed D-shaped wormholes, and I know they've not been treated, so that may represent a genetically anomalous national treasure, and I know the state would be interested in those.

Wishing we'd moved here when I was thirty rather than sixty. It'll take a lot of energy to push through these projects.

Have a good day!

Gere Flewelling

Congratulations teacherman on your new property.  I am not very far from you as I live in Loudon.  I also have a small parcel of land we were able to purchase a some years ago.  Been working at sawing some lumber from the variety of trees growing there.  I have not been as fortunate with the ash trees on my property as they have all passed on.  Been sawing them into boards as fast as I can.  Trying to stack them in a way that will keep them straight and suitable for use in the future.  I have had some success.  While thinning, if you have any logs that you might want lumber out of, I would be glad to help if I can.  I have a portable mill that works for small scale projects.  I can relate to wishing I had this land when I was in my twenties.  I us feel fortunate to have it now.  GF
Old 🚒 Fireman and Snow Cat Repairman (retired)
Matthew 6:3-4

Thank You Sponsors!