iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Climate Change

Started by Rachiano, October 23, 2015, 11:37:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sixacresand

Since our horses have new homes, we have talked about what to do with the  pasture.   One option is to plant it in trees.  I just hate the thought of my pasture reverting back to a forest.   
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Magicman

I understand.  I planted all of the pasture land that my Dad, Brother and I helped to clear up.  It served well in it's time, but land usages change.  My only regret is that I drug my feet and didn't allow my Dad to plant it all 10 years sooner.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Dodgy Loner

Quote from: rasman57 on October 25, 2015, 10:34:50 AM
Quote from: Jeff on October 23, 2015, 03:13:19 PM
Very careful on this topic or off to restricted it goes with all the other climate change topics.

Great thought.  How that can be anything but issue driven and divisive in this specific forum seems evident no matter what side of the issue one believes.  Plenty of other forums for political expression.  Just my opinion...and I spent 30 years upholdiing and defending the right to say it here.   Yep. some days it is hot out when working on wood.

It's a shame that it's considered a divisive political topic instead of a scientific one. But OneWithWood is right, sawing and using wood is not a big contributor to atmospheric CO2.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Magicman

My sawmill's bumper sticker is getting "long in the tooth" and needs replacing.

But the message is the same:    TREES ARE AMERICA'S
                                              RENEWABLE RESOURCE
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

There.....I fixed it for you.  :)

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Magicman

I went out and looked.  Musta washed off.   ;D

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

redprospector

Climate Change???
Happens 4 times a year around here.  :D
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

azmtnman

Quote from: Magicman on October 26, 2015, 09:33:12 PM
My sawmill's bumper sticker is getting "long in the tooth" and needs replacing.

But the message is the same:    TREES ARE AMERICA'S
                                              RENEWABLE RESOURCE

I like the bumper sticker but I'm really admiring that log!
1983 LT 30, 1990 Kubota L3750DT, 2006 Polaris 500 EFI, '03 Dodge D2500 Cummins powered 4X4 long-bed crew cab, 1961 Ford backhoe, Stihl MS250, MS311 and MS661--I cut trees for my boss who was a Jewish carpenter!

Magicman

Quote from: azmtnman on October 27, 2015, 12:11:23 AMI like the bumper sticker but I'm really admiring that log!
What, this old thing?  LINK

Brad_bb

When learning timber framing, I was told to plant three trees for every one you use. I do and that is just good resource management. Climate is always changinging.  I don't believe man is a significant contributor.  As a scientist myself, I have not seen the evidence nor do I think there would be sufficient data to validate such a theory. The proven falsification of data by the first global warming scientists undermined a lot of credibility.  Yet many lay advocates today aren't even aware of this.  "Global warming" or "Climate change" continues to be driven by a political-economic agenda. 
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

johnnyllama

Without speaking my personal opinion about "human influence" on climate change, I would say most sawyers on here saw a very small quantity in the overall picture of timber harvesting. Also, in North America we have long accepted and followed reasonable reforestation policies. This is not the case in many countries that are rapidly clear cutting huge areas of tropical rainforest, which the slash is then burned, which causes  problems that should not be ignored reguardless of your political views. It would be different if they were reforesting too but most are not. Just my two cents worth.
Turner Bandmill, NH35 tractor, Stihl & Husky misc. saws, Mini-excavator, 24" planer, 8" jointer, tilting shaper, lathe, sliding table saw, widebelt sander, Beautiful hardworking wife, 2 dogs, 2 cats, 23 llamas in training to pull logs!!!

deadfall

One thing to keep in mind, there is a qualitative difference between a forest and a plantation.
W-M LT40HD -- Siding Attachment -- Lathe-Mizer -- Ancient PTO Buzz Saw

============================

Happy for no reason.

Thank You Sponsors!