iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

1944 Ford GPW....(Jeep)...

Started by upnut, April 02, 2018, 07:16:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

upnut

Basically intact, some wear and tear from years of adventures, but not hacked up or altered. My 95 year old dad bought it in the sixties to use at deer camp in the U.P. Many good memories! He asked my brother to help him put new rings in it, somehow the project morphed into a frame-off restoration...The project so far has generated good time for the three of us to reconnect and spend time together. These old units have a great history....wish they could talk! Jeep aficionados, feel free to chime in with advice!

Scott B.

(Offsite image removed by Admin, refer to forum rules)
I did not fall, there was a GRAVITY SURGE!

samandothers

This will be fun to follow!  Good luck I look forward to you sharing your adventures!

sawguy21

8)
 Keep us posted on your progress. I love those old Jeeps.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Weekend_Sawyer

Great project!
You're going to need some blue creeper. ;D

Bluecreeper - LogRite Tools LLC
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

upnut

Thanks all! The jeep came to Michigan from Texas, was never licensed for the road here, so never driven in salt as far as I know. During tear down it was amazing to see the majority of bolts simply turn out, was expecting bigger battles. The engine block is currently at the machine shop, and there will be some work on the head, but all seems to be repairable. The numbers all match the chassis, and only a few non "Ford" script parts and bolts, so pretty much original. Interesting details, right down to the plate on the crossmember to mount a machine gun.

Scott B.

My apologies to Admin. won't happen again! re: offsite image

Crusarius

This should be exciting. I always liked these. 

interesting note: since Ford made the GPW at the same time willy's was making the jeep in order to make sure ford was not replacing jeep parts every single piece of the GPW was stamped with a ford emblem. 

If you can keep all that intact this will be worth alot of money to some crazy collector. I look forward to this build since I am a huge jeep guy.

florida

General contractor and carpenter for 50 years.
Retired now!

samandothers

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

upnut

The discovery phase continues, the engine being the main concern. Two different size head bolts indicate prior rebuild issues that may be expensive to repair, will know more when the shop guy gets recuperated from knee replacement and a long list ahead of us. It could be August. Pistons are thirty over and crank is ten under. The right front frame has been repaired, signs of a major impact, still serviceable. The original pintle hitch is gone and damage from chain abuse needs addressed, cracked frame and mangled/bent cross member. Nothing a porta power and some welding won't cure. Finding a mix/match of fasteners, some Ford, some barnyard replacement of nails, wire and plow bolts. Mulling replacement options, cost vs. value. Upon further inspection, the transmission/transfer case is Willys Overland not Ford, a disappointment but still in good shape. So it looks like the old jeep will be a reliable unit, but won't win any beauty contests. 

moodnacreek

Me too; A '44 GPW in rough shape body wise, needs a tub bad. Mechanically it's not that bad, runs and drives quiet and peppy. Brakes sticks and transfer and rear leak bad. Hope you post your progress, can't work on mine until at least next winter.

upnut

Well, almost 4 years later, here's an update. Pics taken in December, on the anniversary of The Battle of the Bulge. Its cousins were in the thick of battle. This jeep probably never left the States, but was field ready as far as we can tell.....

My brother is a true craftsman, it's been fun to witness and document....

Scott B.

newoodguy78

Now that's a restoration project, nice work. 

moodnacreek

Your doing good. Mine has the tub on and the motor in and running but that is it for now. The new sawmill pushed it out of the shop. It was air force blue under 3 paint jobs so I painted it A.F. strata blue to honor my late brother who was an air force man. Hope to get back to it in the spring.

Crusarius

That is looking really nice. Keep up the good work.

Hilltop366

samandothers

Wow, that is so interesting.  It is simple and rugged.  The old flat head 4 cylinder reminds me of the 8n.  Thanks for taking the time to preserve this and share the journey.

upnut

Thanks everyone! An interesting side note, the original brake drums on this Ford GPW came with a cast Chevy Bowtie emblem. Apparently Chevy sub-contracted some work for the war effort, interesting history....

Scott B.

sumday

moodnacreek

Quote from: upnut on January 09, 2022, 11:35:49 AM
Thanks everyone! An interesting side note, the original brake drums on this Ford GPW came with a cast Chevy Bowtie emblem. Apparently Chevy sub-contracted some work for the war effort, interesting history....

Scott B.
I stared at those after I sandblasted mine .

SawyerTed

Fascinating project.  I really appreciate the patience it takes to get a restoration right.

On the Ford, Willy's, Chevy thing, there were more important enemies to fight back then than each other. 
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

samandothers

Quote from: SawyerTed on January 10, 2022, 08:09:58 PM
Fascinating project.  I really appreciate the patience it takes to get a restoration right.

On the Ford, Willy's, Chevy thing, there were more important enemies to fight back then than each other.
Great point!   I hope our nation would pull together the same way if necessary!

Ljohnsaw

John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

moodnacreek

Quote from: SawyerTed on January 10, 2022, 08:09:58 PM

Raised by my grandparents when i was little I heard all about the war effort state side. They had telephone when many did not. Once they got a call from a sailor whose ship went down and he, a neighbor, was reported lost. The togetherness of everyone during those times was unbelievable. We had it for a short time after 9-11.  The infighting in our country is a privilege of our freedom paid for with dead young men. We need to understand this better.

Sixacresand

When my dad was discharged from the Air Force in 1948, a Willis jeep was his and my Mom's family car.  Heard lots of stories about trips to Ohio and to Florida in the Jeep, with me as a baby.  I can imagine the long hours driving so slow.  Then Dad up graded to 1948 Willis Pickup, which ran the rest of his life.  In the fifties and early sixties he would buy old jeeps for $50-75 and sell them for $100. The old joke was, if you drove the jeep for one day, then you would have to work on it for six days.  There is not part of the old willis that I have not worked on. Wish I could afford a forties model now! 
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Thank You Sponsors!