iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Anyone here make log furniture???

Started by Ax- man, November 24, 2010, 12:29:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ax- man

I am curious if anyone here takes the time to make log furniture like chairs , benches and other things out of logs or tree parts like limbs.

I have most of the equipment to get started because I own a tree service and getting wood is no problem. I have dabbled in the past making benches and what not so I am no stranger to this. Just trying to find a way to make a little extra coin.

What I need to know is there some kind of market out there for log furniture ??? A market that makes it some what worthwhile for the time it takes to make these items or is it just a waste of time and gas mix not to mention the wear and tear on saws.

Does anyone here make a little money doing this???

Jeff

I make some things, but never tried to make money at it. I've got log stuff I've made sitting all over.  These are the two latest things if I remember right.

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Ironwood

On the low end it has become a commodity, people are importing it. If you can find a local market, and provide value you will likely make a little. Be aware of risks of people being injured while using your furniture, AND all the issues of quality control, bug infestions, and proper drying. There are tons of people building out there.    Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Ax- man

Nice looking bed you made there Jeff. I see lots of hours cutting, fitting ,sanding and appling the finish.

Thanks for the notice Ironwood about the liability issue. I never gave that one a thought. I'll stick to the simple stuff where that won't be a problem.

okie

Quote from: Jeff on November 24, 2010, 02:32:07 PM
I make some things, but never tried to make money at it. I've got log stuff I've made sitting all over.  These are the two latest things if I remember right.

That bed come apart or do you use a crane to move it  ???
Striving to create a self sustaining homestead and lifestyle for my family and myself.

Jeff

The 2 by 4 cedar supports that hold the box springs slip out and the bed disassembles in about 60 seconds into the headboard, footboard and two rails.

Log Bed from da U.P. woods

Mooseherder

How about a log furniture hybrid.  ;)

Buck

Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

TheWoodsman

Back in 2003, I helped setup, design, make prototypes for and manage a new rustic furniture company named "Black Bear Rustic Furniture."  We were making furniture with hickory poles and our primary competitors were Old Hickory and Flat Rock.  We were doing well and had a nationwide network of designers and stores setup.

Bugs will be an issue with most any species, especially hickory and you MUST come up with a way to heat treat your material.  I had an insulated trailer setup with a Nyle kiln unit to remove the moisture and a 100 BTU gas tube heater in the upper corner to give us some extra "oomph".  I think we went through maybe 10 semi loads of hickory poles in the first year and it was really taking off.

We managed to get ahold of good Bignell Machine Co. tenon cutters (heavy steel) and the only way to go for hickory.  We also made a huge tank for heating water to near boiling for bending chairbacks and such and also had steel forms and a hydraulic press for bending.  It was fun creating all of this from scratch.

I left the company in Dec 04 and they struggled to manage the business the following year then thought they could make huge profits if they sent the work down to Mexico for manufacturing.  They sent all machinery, materials, etc down there and they mismanaged my baby into bankruptcy/failure within less than a year.

I still dabble on occasion with some red cedar poles . . . until I can motivate myself to start over again.
2009 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG28, WM-DH4000 dry kiln, & lots of other great "toys"

I am the Woodsman, the four-wheelin', tree-farmin', custom-furniture-makin' descendant of Olaf "The Woodcutter" Ingjaldsson.

Ax- man

Thanks for posting those pics Mooseherder. I like your work. Simple but yet sturdy and eyecatching.

Keep the replies coming. This info is priceless and educating. I have never  gave much thought to the milling and fabrication of wood. There is so much I don't know. Just from reading through the threads I am getting educated, some what anyway.

I forgot to add this my previous post concerning importing. My wife's retired parents had a nice thing going in crafts till the bottom fell out due to things being imported .  

northwoods1

I know of a number of people making and selling log furniture. One works for a tree service and does it part time, he makes garden trellises and arbors out of cedar. He approached a local log home company and has some display models set up by there facility so prospective log home purchasers see the stuff. The owner of the log home company also makes furniture of the simple variety but does a real brisk business, it is a money maker for him. I have another friend that logs and makes furniture on the side. He makes picnic tables and a lot of other things. One of the things he sells the most is to take 3 cedar poles about 6" diameter, one 18" tall, one 24" tall, one 32" tall, and stand them side by side. Then he takes some jute or hemp rope and wraps it around the base a number of times lashing them together so they all stand side by side. Then he takes one of those small solar path lights you can get at any home improvement place and puts it on the top. People buy this setup to put outside there front door or in the garden, he gets about $75 apiece for these and sells a BUNCH of them. He approached a local gas station owner who allowed him to put a number of his for sale items out front. Service stations up here have a tremendous influx of weekenders and vacationers, people with summer homes and cabins, coming through every weekend. I see log furniture as a big potential marked that is easy money. A local small town furniture store sells a lot of it and it is unbeleivable what they get for it considering the amount of time and money it takes to assemble it. A bed like Jeff made would sell for a lot of money.

red oaks lumber

mooseherder, i see your wearing your osha approved steel toed sandels. nice looking table
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Jeff

That's not Glen. Might be an expendable son-in-law.  :)

Mooseherder

Yep, That's Dan.  I love him like my own son. :)
The High Top table was built for him and my daughter.
He has recovered well from the Tommy John surgery and was drafted by the Cincinnati Reds but is just like you and I.  He ain't scared to get his hands dirty.
He chased the Baseball dream for a few years then finally settled down a couple years ago and sells commercial insurance.
http://hurricanesports.cstv.com/sports/m-basebl/mtt/touchet_dan00.html

jim king

I have made a bunch of  hybrids also and they were well accepted.  Also is a photo of the small machine we made to level and clean the log and burl slices using a router.  After the router clean up only a good sanding is necessary.  It will do up to about 5 foot dia. and no need to splice as in the photos.

forest keeper

Yeah, I run a tree service on Cape Cod and I mess around with making stuff from our logs from time to time. But my brother has a furniture business called Ozark Rustic. Check it out at
http://www.ozarkrustic.com/
I think you'll like it.

Just Me

A good friend of mine does this for a living.

http://www.modoclogfurniture.com/

His problem of late has been in these hard times everyone has been getting into the business, most do not know what they are doing and don't build anything at all comparable, but customers do not know the difference. Jack is always frusterated by being compared price wise to products that will not stand the test of time.

Just Me

Quote from: forest keeper on January 23, 2011, 02:30:03 PM
Yeah, I run a tree service on Cape Cod and I mess around with making stuff from our logs from time to time. But my brother has a furniture business called Ozark Rustic. Check it out at
http://www.ozarkrustic.com/
I think you'll like it.

Very cool stuff!

Larry

Meadows Miller

Gday

And Welcome to The Forum Ax-man  ;D ;D 8) Yeah I reckon there would be a few of us that dabble in it but if you intend on doing it full time you have to do a top job  it will take time to develop a name for yourself to make a living out of it in the long run  ;) ;D

I like everyone's work and pics they have added that's some Fine Quality Workmanship Everyone I like em all  ;) ;D ;D 8) 8) 8)

Forest keeper Welcome to The Forum  ;)  ;D that"s a well set out web page and some bloody nice work your brother is doing there Mate  ;D ;D 8) 

Larry another nice site your Mate has there I love his use of the flared butts as leg supports Mate  ;) ;D ;D 8)

here's our little site www.heartlandlogstructures.com.au which is still sorta under construction  ::) it will give you a rough idea of the sort of work im use to doing when im not sawing there will be more added shortly ;)

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

sandhills

Meadows Miller, that's some neat stuff, I love the log deck, well everything, but I have to ask, what are you trying to keep the dogs "above"?

Meadows Miller

Snakes was the thinking the owner had behind raising it the dogs have a gang way to walk up but I don't see it stopping them   ;)  :D :D they wanted to get a house built out of the same sort of logs which was cypress pine  and wanted to see what it would look like Mate  ;)  It took about 3 days to build and set em back $2800  ;)  ;D

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Thank You Sponsors!