iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Species Identification Assistance Needed

Started by Colonel_O, October 27, 2020, 08:46:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colonel_O

I cut these slabs from a standing dead tree in central Pennsylvania.   It had been dead for awhile—no bark on the tree at all.  But it was absolutely solid.  It's the tree in the middle in the photo—trees on either side are walnut.  It's some of the hardest wood I've sawn (although I don't think its hickory).  The landowner had elms on his property that had succumbed to Dutch Elm disease—wondering if that's what it might be?  Thanks for any assistance.

Woodmizer LT40HDD35-RS. Logrite Buck Arch.   US Marine Corps (retired)

Okrafarmer

It's hard to tell for sure from the pictures, but it looks like black locust to me. Which would explain why it was so hard to mill. Looks pretty solid, though. Good stuff, very durable. When I've milled it it usually held its shape well during drying (didn't warp too badly). If you mill any when it's green, it really isn't too hard to mill, but yeah when it's dead and dry, it can be a bear and a half.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

WDH

One distinctive characteristic of black locust is a very narrow sapwood band, usually only two or three growth rings wide.  You slabs appear to have a very narrow sapwood band.     
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Colonel_O

Okra, WDH, thanks a lot for that insight.  I know the pictures didn't give you much to work with, but your observations match what I encountered.  I also looked up black locust and it is characterized by a long trunk free of branches—that was true of this tree also.  
Woodmizer LT40HDD35-RS. Logrite Buck Arch.   US Marine Corps (retired)

Okrafarmer

Quote from: WDH on October 28, 2020, 08:29:23 AM
 One distinctive characteristic of black locust is a very narrow sapwood band, usually only two or three growth rings wide.  You slabs appear to have a very narrow sapwood band.    
Yes, around these parts, the sapwood band is sometimes barely a single year.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Okrafarmer

My experiences with drying BL are that it usually dries pretty straight if stickered properly. It can split up a good bit...make sure your ends are sealed with Anchorseal or some other such product. Use extreme caution if turning BL on a wood lathe...there's a big tendency for it to catch on the tools. If you have pieces without cracks, those pieces are extremely strong and also rot resistant after they are dried. They are good for outdoor applications where strength and longevity is necessary--but do get them dried down first in a controlled environment, as that seems to help prevent or retard rot.

Thank You Sponsors!