iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Locomotive Cradle

Started by Deadwood, May 04, 2006, 07:44:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deadwood

Well for the last few days I have been telling people on here about a special cradle I was making for my yet-to-be-born daughter...

So just what kind of cradle do you make for a 4th generation railroader? Well I kind of figured one built into the shape of a locomotive would be neat. For those of you that do not know, I work for the railroad and have for the last 9 years. In fact so has this childs Great-Grandfather and Great-Grandmother and a few generations of family before that...

Rather than put all this hard work into a cradle that would just last her a few months, I thought I could get double duty out of it by allowing it to be a toybox when she gets older.

Structurally the joinery is made up of hand cut dovetails wherever possible. Lovetails are included in the two drawers, while hand cut mortise and tennons are done through the rest of it. For a few joints I used screws and plugs for simplicity. The wood of course is White Pine. Not the best choice, but it took two pieces of wood for every board applied to this cradle. It was just that challenging to design and build and took just over 200 hours to complete.

In the end I am very, very happy with it. Besides, if my daughter ever wants to know if she is loved, all she has to do is look at the rockers or look at the lovetails of the drawers to realize, her cradle was a true labour of love.

I know there are a bunch of like-minded woodworkers, so rather than type out all the details, I took the liberty of making a webpage and included some of the details of how and why this cradle was built. So for more pictures and Information please go to Locomotive Cradle

Thanks

[/img]

Brad_S.

Beautiful, Deadwood! 8)
Is it a GE or an EMD? :D
Is the flip up hood for storing dirty diapers to make it smell somewhat like the prototype? ;D
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

sawguy21

So is she gonna be born with a stripe cap and a lantern? :D That is a neat piece of work. She is in good hands 8)
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

UNCLEBUCK

That is very cool , I thought Maine maybe them cradle boat things but railroaders yeah I like it alot ! I love trains  8)
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

getoverit

I love one of a kinds, and I do believe you have come up with the ultimate one of a kind :)

Great job !
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

Thank You Sponsors!