iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stair Calculation help needed

Started by Steve, July 13, 2007, 05:48:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve

I'm building stairs down from a new deck to the ground that I would like to have land next to the sidewalk. The total rise from ground to TOP of deck is 77" and the total run from the edge of the deck landing to the edge of the sidewalk is 121". I would like a low rise like 6" or so ( we are going to get older-we hope). I plan to end the top of the stairs one step below the deck. So how would I figure the rise and run here?
I can lay it out with the framing square but I don't have faith in my math.
I'll bet some of you out there do this all the time?

Thanks
Steve
Steve
Hawaiian Hardwoods Direct
www.curlykoa.com

Don P

77/12=12 risers@6.41"... 6-13/32" or 6-3/8+1/32"
121/11= 11 treads@11"

Now for some tricksĀ  :)
Boards are often crowned so I pop a line at the inside corner of the steps to keep them straight rather than riding over a curve. In this case if you pop the line 5-9/16 from the top edge that'll be the inside corner. (you can actually move that line up and leave more meat and lose the tip of the corner if'n you want). I use that line for layout.

The triangle I drew shows the length of all three sides of the step triangle (remember pythagoras, a2+b2=c2)

I then mark the 12.731" increments up the layout line. This eliminates the cumulative error of the pencil line when you step off. Step off like normal but align the corner of the square on the layout point.

Don't forget to remove the thickness of the tread from the bottom of the stringer, usually 1". I drew that cut line on the bottom, I cut it after all layout is done. If closed risers (code) remove the thickness of the riser from the top back plumb cut on the stringer where it meets the deck frame, didn't draw that.

If you have trouble with decimal conversion mutiply the decimal x 16 to get 16th's, .41x16=6-1/2 16th's or 3/8th's+1/32  ;)
I've got a picture of stepping off a set somewhere, I'll post if I find it. Does this make enough sense?

Steve

Don

I can't thank you enough! I told my wife to just wait a bit and I'll get some help but this was above and beyond the call. If I if can't do it from this description I'll just have to use a ladder.

If there is ever anything I can do for you, just say the word.

Thanks again
Steve

Steve
www.curlykoa.com

Steve

Here are Dons stairs that he designed for me.
Thanks a bunch Don, you really helped me.

Steve

Steve
www.curlykoa.com

Don P

Hey, that looks sharp, good job  8)

When mamma's happy, everbuddies happy   :)

LeeB

sounds like a toolbox formula t me.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Thank You Sponsors!