iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Started making another yard tree table.

Started by Daren, August 16, 2007, 04:48:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daren

I brought this ugly tree up in the urban forestry section https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=26813.0 . I started a table with it today. Pretty killer looking wood. I have to figure out the legs yet. I was going to leave this book live edge...but had some problems. I have a few more pieces that will make a better live edge table. It is not finished in the pictures, just rough sanded and wiped with water to get a good look at it.

I made some legs for what I thought I was going to end up with, but they just don't match now that I had to cut off the live edge (rotten/busted in a million pieces). Maybe these legs will work on one of these pieces from the same tree. They seem to be holding together so far.

I was wanting to make something that looked like it crawled out of the woods into the living room, all scary and funky. The top I built today is going to look good, just need to figure out new legs. But not something boring, the wood in the top is FAR from plain.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

metalspinner

That is some crazy grained wood there.  I like those red highlights throughout.  The base for live edges tops is always the tricky part.  Keep up the expierments. :)
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

mike_van

I see the face of Elvis on that slab!  :D Or is it an alien?  
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

metalspinner

That might be what Elvis currently looks like. ::)
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Daren

This is what I saw the second I milled that book, H.R. Giger ,biomechanical surrealist (the alien from the movie "Alien" was based on one of his drawings) I am a fan.

Dave Shepard

I remember seeing that face when you posted it in the urban section. Kinda spooky actually.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Kevin

That may have been Bro Nobles picture just after snapping a cap on the barn vise with a hammer.  :D

low_48

That's magnificent Daren :o How did you get it dried so quickly? Wasn't it just mid July when you got the log? Do you know someone with a vacuum kiln?

I would go a little more understated with the leg or base system. That top does a lot of "talking" by itself. Complicated legs might actually distract from the top.

Daren

Quote from: low_48 on August 16, 2007, 10:01:54 PM

I would go a little more understated with the leg or base system.

Yea, I am going to keep it simple. The legs in the picture are now for another project. I already have an idea in mind, I will post pictures of that finished piece.

Quote from: low_48 on August 16, 2007, 10:01:54 PM
How did you get it dried so quickly? Wasn't it just mid July when you got the log? Do you know someone with a vacuum kiln?

What is a vacuum kiln  :D. D/H, here is a post from 2 years ago...still using the same $200 kiln, If you went and bought the stuff. I had it laying around. https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=13557.0 And they said it would never work, check me out I never took a class on wood drying but do it every day, tricky wood like the stuff in this post and WIDE and curly stock. A little tinkering along the way, but 90% the exact unit. I can't dry 5000 bft a load, but for a hack woodworker with no patience to wait to have his wood dried it is the berries.
I have read all the drying charts blah blah, learn how to air dry and the rest is gravy. I had more wood ruined by the "pro" I used to take mine to because it was big loads and a % of loss is acceptable. And the setting in the yard waiting for my little loads to fit. I am not going to turn this into an hobby kiln drying thread. 2 years, same "kiln", same results...excellent. 

Dodgy Loner

I agree with low_48, I think an understated top would really complement the incredible figure in the top.  What kind of wood are you planning to use?  A darker wood like walnut would be very elegant.  Of course, the redbud will darken naturally with age.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Daren

Quote from: Dodgy Loner on August 17, 2007, 01:10:48 PM
.  What kind of wood are you planning to use? 

I have some mulberry with baby burls (like the size of a quarter) on it. The burls on it go all the way to the pith. It came out of a burn pile and was cut into 2' lengths. I rived some out the other day and turned it wet on the lathe, looked pretty good. I think I am going to rive out several more pieces and plane them square and dry them for the legs. That is my plan now, who knows what I will really end up doing.

Thank You Sponsors!