iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

what mill to buy? lt15 wide or lt40 wide

Started by markymark, January 27, 2019, 04:39:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

markymark

Hi all! After looking at many threads in the FF I decided to join. I am 53 and looking to purchase a wood mizer mill. I live in northern WA state and they sell out of Portland OR. I have cut a lot of firewood in my life and currently have about 170 cord in 12-25' lengths. About half of that could be suitable for milling. Species include fir, maple, hemlock, cedar with a big redwood log and some madrona. Planning on doing it for myself at first and then possibly looking for customers. I work full time and will be doing this on the weekends with plans of getting into woodworking. Planning on getting a 10,000lb.  mini excavator as well as building a bridge crane above the mill so moving logs should not be an issue. Am I going to kill myself on a lt 15 wide vs hydraulic lt 40 wide? Money is always an object but I am blessed to have enough for either.
Any thoughts?

Thanks
Mark

Greyhound

No question get the hydraulics.  For the amount of work you are planning with will absolutely "kill yourself" trying to do it on a manual mill.  Maybe someone will say they have done similar or more work on a manual, but trust me on this one, especially, if you are planning on selling anything.  Then, time really is money.

Magicman

You do not have a decision regarding "which".  Your only question is "when" do you order your LT40 Wide??  :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WV Sawmiller

Asking that reminds me of the old Arab co-worker who asked "Why live in a tent while the palace sits empty?" Buy the LT40.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

redbeard

Welcome Markymark are you on west or east side of mountians? I think you answered your question on which mill, I was 47 when I got started and sure glad I chose hydraulic. I was searching manual mills at the beginning and went and visited mostly hydraulic mill operations and was convinced I needed hydraulics.
Lt 15 wides have a great resale so it's not a bad idea too start out that way but I am sure you will want too up grade. I had a day job for 12 years and ran my mill and was able too go full time , my plan was too retire early and do what I love being retired  just decided too do it earlier.
If your on the west side we're probably close, your welcome too come over for a visit. Good luck with your venture getting a sawmill changes your life be prepared.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: markymark on January 27, 2019, 04:39:12 PMAm I going to kill myself on a lt 15 wide vs hydraulic lt 40 wide?
You'll kill yourself for buying the Lt15 wide if you really could have put the LT40 to good use. 
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

GAB

If you plan on doing custom sawing definitely get the hydraulics.  
Some homeowners have logs and little if any equipment to move them.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

dbroswoods

I'm with the others I stared with a used LT15 and used it for 4 years and it is a lot of work rolling the logs over. Then I came across a little money and I bought a LT40 Wide a year and a half ago best money I ever spent. If you can afford it go with the LT40 Wide you will be glad you did.

Mark

markymark

Thanks all! you guys are pointing out the obvious I am sure, but I wanted to get opinions from experienced individuals.
I was at the Wa sportsmans show yesterday and was able to cut a couple of boards with the 15 wide. Seemed easy enough but my brother told me "now do it a couple hundred times a day". Made me think a little!
I will let everyone know when I pick it up. Looking forward to many years of asking questions on this forum and hopefully someday, sharing some knowledge once it is gained.
Redbeard, I am in Smokey Point and will be reaching out to you.

thecfarm

Quote from: markymark on January 27, 2019, 05:32:21 PM
 Seemed easy enough but my brother told me "now do it a couple hundred times a day".  
Listen to him!!!!
I have a manual mill. I cut a couple hundred times in a week. ;)  Now that much in a day,I would of spent my money diffeantly. ;D 
Welcome to the forum.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: thecfarm on January 27, 2019, 05:52:52 PM
Quote from: markymark on January 27, 2019, 05:32:21 PM
 Seemed easy enough but my brother told me "now do it a couple hundred times a day".  
Listen to him!!!!
I have a manual mill. I cut a couple hundred times in a week. ;)  Now that much in a day,I would of spent my money diffeantly. ;D
Welcome to the forum.
And this is from a guy who has a hard time admitting what's good! musteat_1 sketti_1 food6
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Southside

Anything you can do to reduce the amount of times you are required to handle logs, cants, slabs, and lumber that will often outweigh you is worth every penny you spend. I will go one step further and suggest you look at the option of getting a super and a drag back feature, even with a walk along mill the dragback will save time and your energy. 

Use rollers to move lumber, hydraulics to move logs and cants and your hands to move controls. It will still be a physical job, but you can focus on quality and production rather than chiropractic and post injury care. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

dgdrls

if you're going to Portland, make a point to visit Mighty Mite, they make circle dimension mills and hydraulic bandmills. they're right in Canby.  may as well see all your options. 

D

Crossroads

I started with s manual mill and after a year added some hydraulics, then a year later bought an lt40 wide. When I was working with bigger logs on the coast 30" + I didn't see a need for the speed of a super. Now that I live in Idaho and seem to be milling smaller logs, I find myself wanting faster hydraulics, also I wouldn't mind having the larger gas engine. (No interest in the tier 4 diesel). It looks like I'm about 5 hours east of you, but your welcome to come hang out for a day when the weather improves. Kevin 
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

thecfarm

I know what is good to eat. And you know what is good to eat. Just don't tell me what what you is good to eat. :)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

stanmillnc

Agree with everyone else here - gotta have the hydraulics. My foray into sawmilling began with an Alaskan chainsaw mill. Six months later, I bought an LT15. Six months after that, an LT40. I also work full-time during the week and only mill on weekends. My log inventory was rotting away because I couldn't mill them fast enough with the manual mills. The time commitment to running a manual mill is much greater than that of hydraulic; it's not even a comparison. Not to mention the labor involved - I've had back issues at times from moving logs and big slabs around - the hydraulics will save your back!

Thank You Sponsors!