iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

ID this tree

Started by radio, June 05, 2016, 01:19:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

radio

I had been trying to ID this tree with only the bark available as a characteristic.  Tree is about 60' in height.  Single straight trunk.  No branches up to about 40'.  I pulled the bark off and the smell of the inside stringy red fibers are very sweet, citrusy.  The odor is overpowering.

Location is southern NH.

elk42

If it was here in south Arkansas I would say sweet gum tree.
Machinist Retired, Lt15 WM 25 HP, Stihl 044, Stihl 311, Kubota M2900w/FEL, KUBOTA L4800 w/FEL,
Lincoln Ranger 10,000, stihl 034,

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Dave Shepard

First pic is almost definitely red oak. The pic of the chunks doesn't look very oak like to me, and I've never noticed a citrus smell to oak, but it can smell strongly. White oak smells sort of like a horse barn, if you know what I mean.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

thecfarm

I thought the same about the red oak too,but the end cut does look like it at all. The bark would make me say the red oak that I have here.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ron Scott

Looks like northern red oak to me.
~Ron

sandsawmill14

the growth rings and the dark offset heart in the bottom pics says red oak and the bark confirms it  :)
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

radio

The red in the bark is deceiving.  It does look similar to a nice 21" DBH Northern Red Oak that I have in my yard.  But as can be seen the heartwood is nothing like oak, more like poplar.

This had me stumped for weeks.  The best ID I could get was Yellow/Tulip poplar but we don't have those trees here in NH.  Finally we have leaves on the tree and I was able to use binoculars to get a good look at them a few days ago.  Here is a photo of the canopy.  Notice there are 2 of these trees about 3' apart.

radio

I just went out and took of photo of the leaves through a spotting scope.  Based on the bark I don't think that anyone would have guessed this tree.  The bark of the tree when younger is completely different.

It appears to me that this is a Bigtooth Aspen/White Poplar. Old BT Aspens do develop red furrowed bark. However, the veins of the leaves are opposite from the central vein whereas all photos of Aspen/Poplar I have seen have had veins that alternate.

Autocar

Looks like a cottonwood to me. It looks like a layer of paper type bark between the wood and the outer bark.
Bill

sandhills

I'm glad I wasn't the only one thinking cottonwood, but I've never seen them grow quite like that  ???.  Around here they tend to not be so straight.

OneWithWood

Seeing the leaves definitely shows it to be in the Populus family.  Looking at the bark pics makes me think Big Tooth Aspen but the wood looks more like cottonwood.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

WDH

Cottonwood has a flat leaf base.  It is big tooth aspen. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

sandhills

I love this board and this is precisely why I very seldom voice my ignorant opinions  ;D

Thank You Sponsors!