iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A little trouble today

Started by Magicman, April 19, 2010, 09:38:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

First log, first cut.  When I hit the reverse, the powerfeed made a "bad" noise that I had never heard before.  Next cut, same noise.  I finished the log, took the guards off of the powerfeed sprockets and watched.  Yup, slipped...or rather skipped a few links.

Pulled the powerfeed assembly, and sure enough.....worn drive sprocket. 

That's when WM service comes into play.  Called, all needed parts are in stock, and will be here Wednesday.

I ordered both sprockets and the necessary bearings and keepers.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

woodmills1

I love woodmizer parts

wish I didn't  have to buy them

but, in stock, on time, back to cutting
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

ForestMan

Wow, you can really see the wear on those.
There is nothing like the natural beauty of wood.

pigman

Also, check the chain. Usually the sprockets wear because the chain stretches and rides up on the sprocket teeth.
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Magicman

Good point, but it's 40 miles away on that job.  I'll run the sprockets on the chain before I install them.  I'll actually measure the chain when I bring the mill back next week.  I'm sure that the chain is original and I've put over 4K hours on it.  The original owner replaced the hour meter, so it has well over 6K hours.

I've got 21 good SYP logs to saw first.  All 24"+..... :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

captain_crunch

M_M
Keep a real close eye on your new sprokets with worn chain sometimes they will eat a new sproket fast
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

backwoods sawyer

It is better to bite the bullet and put new chain on as soon as you can. See what you get for putting all those hours on that mill, "new part".  ;D
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

stonebroke

always replace the chain when replacing sprockets.  A saying to live by

Stonebroke

ljmathias

Guess that'll learn you not to use your mill so much!  You're plum wearing it out...

Oh, well, as they say around here- the  only equipment that doesn't break...

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

Meadows Miller

Gday

Whata doin wearn equipment out like that  Mate  ;) :D  Magic one of me old boses would think i was being a real pita sayn that needed fixn just tighten up the chain more he'd say  ;)  :) ??? ::)  Ive seen plenty worse than that ran an old laimet that had only about 1/8th of the drive tooth left on the sprocket you hat to be realy touchy with the feed and reverse mate  ::) ::) ::) :( >:( Quit  ;) :D :D :D

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Wintergreen Mountain

Magicman'
   Captain-Crunch is right on. If you use the old chain at all run it loose and watch it closely. The wear i see in your picture definetly shows a lot of chain pitch wear. If the old chain wears the new sprockets, the wear on the new sprockets will shorten the life of a new chain.
I would change the chain now, with the new sprokets.

LEON
1920 Ford 4x4 tractor, forks & bucket. 2010 36" Turner Mills band mill. Cat-Claw blade sharpener. Cat-Claw Dual Tooth Setter. Cat D3 crawler dozer. Cat 215c excavator, Ford L9000 dump truck. Gardner Denver 190 portable air compressor. KatoLight 40Kw trailer mounted gen set. Baker M412 4-head planer.

Magicman

Quote from: pigman on April 19, 2010, 09:59:24 PM
Also, check the chain. Usually the sprockets wear because the chain stretches and rides up on the sprocket teeth.

Point well taken,  A new chain was ordered and will be here Thursday.  When I put it back together, all parts will be new.  Thanks guys for the reminder and advice..... :)

Chuck White

Quote from: Magicman on April 20, 2010, 05:18:12 PM
Quote from: pigman on April 19, 2010, 09:59:24 PM

Point well taken,  A new chain was ordered and will be here Thursday.  When I put it back together, all parts will be new.  Thanks guys for the reminder and advice..... :)

Right on MM.
When I had a motorcycle, the sprockets got badly worn and when I went to pick up new ones,
the salesman told me that sprockets and chains should be sold in sets.
So I picked up the set.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Magicman

New sprockets, bearings, keepers, etc. came today.  I had to drill and retap the main drive pulley, but no problem.  The idler sprocket bearing had slipped on it's shaft, so I had to center punch the shaft a bit and also applied fingernail polish.  Not really needed, but now the shaft matches the wife's toes..... :)

The new chain will be in tomorrow, but rain in the forecast means no sawing until next week.

The shaft bearings had been slipping on the shaft for a while, cutting the shaft down.

I center punched the idler shaft and added nail polish.  It won't slip now.

Two happy power feed sprockets.

Larry

Quote from: Magicman on April 21, 2010, 03:38:30 PM
The idler sprocket bearing had slipped on it's shaft, so I had to center punch the shaft a bit and also applied fingernail polish. 

Learn something new everyday...I would have used LocTite.  Will the parts still come apart easy?  May have to add a bottle of that fingernail polish to my repair arsenal. 
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Magicman

Actually the center punch "dinging" was enough to tighten it up.  They make "Green" bearing race sealant, but at $22.50 per bottle.  Nail polish is actually lacquer, and will hold very well.  If/when it needs removing, the normal "persuasion" will remove it.

etkoehn

Your ever consider getting your bearings, sprockets, chains from a tractor supply type of store. Up were I live we have a lot of tractor dealers and parts stores and they usually keep stuff like that on hand. And usually(not always) cheaper. Plus you wouldn't have to wait a couple days for parts.
What was suppose to keep the idler from slipping? key, set screw, locking collar?
Good idea on the nail polish. One back thing about about center punching, or at least what I have experienced. Is it will still probably do it again. But then I never tried nail polish :) maybe that's the trick :)
Farm Boy

Magicman

Sure, many items are available locally, especially hoses, etc.  In this case, since the sprockets were specialty items, and #40 chain was available only in 10' lengths, there was no decision to make.

I called WM from the job site Monday noon.  The parts were in my hands Wednesday AM.  If I had ordered the chain then, I would have gotten it today also.

Since I never schedule over 2 days of sawing per week, I just got other stuff done.  I'll saw that job next week....or the week after.  No I'll be in Florida that week.  Hmmm, maybe the week after that.... ;D :D

etkoehn

Florida eh? Well drink some good orange juice so you feel good enough to come back to some hard work :D
Farm Boy

Papa1stuff

Magicman,your welcome to stop by my place and give me some pointers ;D ;D
1987 PB Grader with forks added to bucket
2--2008 455 Rancher Husky
WM CBN Sharpener & Setter

Magicman

We won't be down in the Orlando area.....maybe next time....But I don't know which of us will be giving and which will be receiving the "pointers"....... :D

captain_crunch

M_M
Glad it is all new at once Thanks for the fingerpolish tip new one on me ::) ::) But guess it would be good idea if it did match your wifes or would be interested in hearing the explanition :o :o :o
Brian
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

Meadows Miller

Gday

Magic thats anice trick i havent heard of  before Mate  ;) 8) 8) 8) 8) i usually either spray paint to seal it or just put a god dab of grease on it when im putting it back together Mate

CC id like to see that expanition too Mate  :o :) ??? ::)  ;) :D :D :D :D :D :D

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Magicman

I put every thing back on the mill yesterday.  New sprockets, bearings, keepers, shaft, chain, and belt.  We ran today until the rain stopped us.

Sometimes, bad things happen to the drive chain like a heavy slab slipping and falling and catching on the chain.  I suspect that is what stretches the chain.  Some slabs can be quite heavy.

Anyway, I guess that it's good for another 12 years.... :)

ljmathias

or 12 days- you just never know, which is part of what makes it so interesting and frustrating at the same time- seems like I just get one thing fixed and something else breaks or goes wrong- noticed today that apparently when we installed the permanent legs on my stationary mill, we didn't spacer up the last two sets.  Been cutting pretty heavy logs last few days and look down the log as it the saw was cutting and there was a pronounced downhill slope toward the far end- never noticed it on the lighter wood but the fresh SYP I just loaded on was full of water and heave!  First few cuts at the top were fine,  but as I got toward the middle of the  log (I was aware of the problem by now and watching to see if happened again), sure enough the far end started sagging.  My guess is that as the boards on top were freed from the log, their weight was now free to push down on the far end.  With the log intact, the weight was spread out pretty evenly.  Last couple of boards ended up real thin on the far end- messed up the bottom three boards.  DanG it all!

So tomorrow I'll have a shot at leveling up the legs and bed so it cuts straight and smooth on the bigger logs, too.  Then wait to see what breaks after that...

At least I got the mill area cleaned up finally- all the backlog cut, waste cleared out and burned, and the random pieces of slabs I was "saving" for something standing around the ends of the mill cleaned and stacked- nice to have everything clean for a change.  That'll change quick also.

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

Thank You Sponsors!