iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Finally ready to fire up

Started by xlogger, April 15, 2012, 08:19:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xlogger

:) After two months I'm ready to fill my CB 5036 up today. I've been real busy with sawmill lately and not much time to work on it. I've miss place my book on fireing it up, but remember that my dealer said to fill it up from the water heater and let it run for 12-24 hours before putting a fire in it. I've got cut offs to heat exchanger, so for now I'm only going to heat my hot water. I still need to hook it up to hot tub, got all parts I need just need to do it. I'll check back later for any advice from any of you guys.
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

boilerman101

Be sure you add the jug of corrosion inhibitor into top breather cover when filling. What I have found works best is to fill with water from inside the house. If you have a water softener all the better. Typically you should have a drain bib near the water heater that accesses the outdoor furnace side water loop. Hook domestic water hose to that. At the OWF close of the supply valve so you will be filling through the return side. Open your water level gauge lever into the 12 o'oclock position. When you see water entering into the gauge, close of the return valve at the owf and open the supply, pushing water back through the pump until gauge says your water level is full. Disconnect the domestic fill water line, plug in pump and away you should go. The OWF loop will have all the air bled back to the owf and you should be good to go...However, if you have the CB thermostatic valve in place, their owners manual shows drain bibs on both sides of it. So instead you would initially push domestic water into the bib on the "out" side of the valve initially, still pushing back to the owf return line and when you see water in gauge, move the fill hose over to the "in" side of the thermostatic valve...Still alternate OWF valves as mentioned above...This is the best way to fill an OWF and bleed air out of the lines at the same time, eliminating air locks.

boilerman101

I don't see any reason to let it circulate for 12-24 hours before putting wood to it. I fill and then fire. Have to when you are doing a cold winter install. Never had any adverse effects and I don't think the owners manual instructs you to wait either. Plus when you put inhibitor in early while filling, it is mixing the whole time during fill. Hope these posts help!

sparky1

after you add the inhibbiter you may get some strange results.  Id run your pump for a couple days before you take a sample and try to adjust the ph.  Mine was way outa wack after a day or so..  My dealer told me to run it for a week and it should work out.. Well he was right on.   Id fill that sucker with wood and start heating though, its a good feeling when its all hooked up isnt it??  8)
Shaun J

doctorb

Xlogger -

I hope that you don't heat up your house too much with all that warmth in your basement.  If you have a standard system with a heat exchanger next to your basement furnace, your basement is going to get warm.  As summer approaches, you might be heating your basement and turning on the AC for the rest of the house! ;)

Boilerman -  you are a wealth of good info.  Thanks.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

xlogger

Thanks all for the info, by time I got back to read this I filled the heater up. I did fill it up at the manifold inside the house. I shut the valve on the pump side and force the water threw the house and out to the heater, bleeding air while I was putting water in. I ran the pump for about 2 hours and all seems fine. We had to go somewhere so I was going to fire it up when we got back but it was getting late and the only thing left I had to do was to put the chimmey on. By time I got it out of the boxes it was dark. Since I misplaced (lost) my instructions does the round cord in the stove go at the bottom of the pipe or where they connect? Also I notice several sheet metals screws behind where the chimmey goes, are they for connecting the pipes?
doctorb, I've got cut offs for my pex lines in the basement to the heat exchanger that's in the attic for my central heat. The only hot lines are the pex lines that go threw my garage into a room on the other side of my basement to the hot water. I hope it does not put off much heat there to affect the AC part of my house. Ricky
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

xlogger

8) found my chimmey instructions. ;D

Thank You Sponsors!