iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Woodmizer lead time ridiculous. Looking for alternatives

Started by squarpeg, April 16, 2021, 11:33:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

squarpeg

Well finally got the money to buy a mill for this summer. Was going to buy the woodmizer LT15 on a trailer with power feed, or the LT28 with power feed.  They told me 55 weeks on the LT28 or 44 weeks on the LT15.. Why are they even advertising? I have to find something else.  Is this an industry issue? Thoughts on a different equivalent mill? Thanks

doc henderson

this is global issue.  all the manufactures are way out.  cannot get materials or parts made.  cannot find more help that is qualified and wants to work.  Used mills are being sold for more than the price of a new mill.  The girl who does my wife's hair told her that her wheeler dealer husband had a bit too much to drink, and bought a used mill.  My wife said she was complaining, and told her he can prob. double his money.  with the price of lumber demand has gone up.  just like the TP shortage.  i do not think people were doing more #2, but maybe politicians were doing less since they seem to be full of it.   :)  .  I am told there is a new car shortage due to lack of components.  the price of used vehicles has also gone up.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

rojen

Wow, I thought 25 weeks on their moulders was crazy. 
HM126
MS250
CS7310P
Home-made arches
Polaris Ranger 1000
Chains, ropes, and cable
Wife Power

Gere Flewelling

I have a similar sized Cook Saw Manufacturing, Model MP-32 mill with power feed and power lift and lower.  Not the Woodmizer you are looking for, but every bit as good in my opinion.  Not sure, they may be a little quicker on the build.  Worth checking on.  If you buy one, you won't regret it.  GF
Old 🚒 Fireman and Snow Cat Repairman (retired)
Matthew 6:3-4

squarpeg

I sent an inquiry to cook.  I am in Vermont. Was hoping I'd have dealerships within 5hr drive

doc henderson

there are some used mills on the sawmill exchange (link at the bottom of this page).  If lumber prices come down, might be some good prices on used in 3 or 4 years.  sales are up 10 x (not 10%,  10 x like a thousand percent.)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Jeff

All manufactures are having huge unprecedented wait times. The bus is full. Should of been at the corner earlier, now we all have to wait for the next bus. :) If you are not already on a wait list, and odds are you will have to pay to be on any list, you simply are going to wait even longer.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

barbender

Crazy times to navigate for manufacturers. How do you really manage an upswing in business like that?
Too many irons in the fire

squarpeg

240b

ordered a mill an an edger tuesday 
itll be ready first week of june....
next year    i should have all the site work done an buildings up
by than   :D 

doc henderson

a month ago it was stated in weeks, and now they are using months.  and of course that far out with variables who knows, hopefully sooner rather than later, but anything is possible.

Tam-i-am

Thought I might give you a look at the other side.  Manufacturing is crazy now.  Very hard to navigate through these crazy times!

We are having trouble sourcing US made winches, couplers and wheels.  We are currently 3 months out on arches and that is only a best guess based on info from our suppliers.  I have had winches and tires on order since Nov.  Every time we call to check on our order it gets pushed out.

Even on the parts we make we rely on outside vendors for all the coatings we use.  These vendors used to be able to turn parts around in a couple of days but now we are experiencing long lead times as these vendors are very busy (manufacturing up and competitors closing).

Then there is the whole problem of employees.  With Covid everyone is experiencing lots of absenteeism!  Every time someone is exposed, they have to miss work until they test negative.  Covid went through our facility last year - it was over six weeks before everyone was back to work.  Skeleton crews can only do so much.

We can't get workers now as it is better to stay home and collect from the government.  We have ads out everywhere and can't get so much as a reply.  

As a consumer I get that it is frustrating but I do believe these manufacturers are doing the best they can.  

Tammy

Get Stuff Moving Today!  www.bluecreeper.com  www.facebook.com/Bluecreeper

btulloh

Mapleflats just put a swingmill up for sale on here. Wonder how long before somebody jumps on that. 
HM126

squarpeg

Timber king - *We are now taking reservations for 2022 delivery. Price shown is a projected 2022 price and is subject to change.

Woodland says Aug. 1st  although they seem to only have smaller mills.

Jeff

They only sell smaller mills. I guess though, that would be a matter of perspective.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Southside

3:00 PM - just sat down to eat lunch, started at 0600 this morning.  Have had three "orders" left on my voice mail today already, one drop in who put down the required deposit, and another guy who said he would have to "look around" because I didn't have exactly what he wanted right now - good luck.  That's only on the sawmill side of the business.  

Two employees out today, zero replies to help wanted ads, and another guy who texted then called to see if by chance the order he placed last week was ready yet.....

Be grateful they answered the phone and gave you hope.  You can always build your own mill, if you can get the components.....
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

John S

I tested positive on Tuesday, and am pretty sure that I am not the only one here who has.  Hoping to get back in the swing of things by the end of next week.  The human element is what these delays in manufacturing started with.  Good luck to all!
2018 LT40HDG38 Wide

tacks Y

Take a look at Facebook market place a few used mills on there.

ohiowoodchuck

Woodmizer told me 26 weeks when I put down my deposit. I fine with that. Like Jeff mentioned earlier, everybody's got the same idea right now. Probably be a bunch for sale when lumber goes back down. This will be my first mill. I'm excited to have it. I got a lot tree stacked up to mill for my own lumber. I wish I would of been to the corner to meet the bus sooner but that's my fault. It will give me time to get the pad poured etc. I hope to never buy lumber again unless it's treated wood. 50-60 years ago, you went to the sawmill and bought your lumber to build your house with anyway. 
Education is the best defense against the media.

barbender

I'm hoping to ride the ol' '97 out through all of this and then update on the backside when all the used mills start to flood the market😁

mike_belben

I speculate that this bubble is just like all other tulip bulb frenzies that came before it. Wait a year, itll be going the opposite direction and people will be begging you to take over payments on their like new WM
Praise The Lord

Ianab

Which is why the mill manufacturers aren't really increasing capacity, even if they were able to find more staff / space. 12 months down the track the bubble bursts and they are left with a new factory to pay for and staff getting laid off. 

If you think the demand was a long term thing, then you try and increase production. If it's just a "blip", you just carry on best you can.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

mike_belben

The firearm industry went way in debt on big expansions to accomodate an expected hillary win in 16 that backfired bigtime and brought the trump slump.. Guns were sold near cost just to get them off the inventory rolls. Theyd smartened up after the obama boom and went to as many low wage temps as possible rather than a permanent crew with bennies.

Praise The Lord

JBlain

I am feeling lucky I found a used 2010 lt40 hydraulic with 135 hours on it.  It had a few issues due to lack of use but was basically new and kept in a barn.

Tried milling a huge walnut log on it for the first time today.  Ended up splitting it in half with the chainsaw after a lot of wrestling with a loader.  Gorgeous wood.
Josh

Wassup8687

I was told last week by one of the workers at Woodmizer that they're working 24 hours a day.

I found my LT15 on Facebook Marketplace.

Crossroads

Quote from: barbender on April 16, 2021, 06:12:02 PM
I'm hoping to ride the ol' '97 out through all of this and then update on the backside when all the used mills start to flood the market😁
I like this idea and will be watching for a Lt40 super wide or even a wide 50 👍🏻
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

thecfarm

I work in a hardware store, getting stock and people who want to work into the store is VERY hard at this time. I have empty pegs and shelves through out the whole store. Not just me because of a small store. Had a customer that walked in and asked me if I have pvc outlet boxes. Yes, I said. He said good, because home depot has none. Now a week later, I can not get any.
Phone will ring for certain items and I know what they are doing, calling bunches of places trying to find a certain item. Good luck I tell them.
Than I have the customer that tells me I will order them off from your online store.  ::)   We are the online store!!!!
Most don't understand, someone has to make the product than businesses buy the product and gets it in the stores. No one making it, no one can buy it.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

240b

frankly i really don't mind waiting, this is along term project.
 After looking at used equipment, i decided that it would be better to start with new 
stuff rather than something which has who knows what done to it. i could have ordered it the first week an January and be picking it up in two weeks, from today. but after doing more research I'm glad id not gone that route.
  i do think there will be a glut of used mills in two years. along with all the other stuff 
people borrowed money to have.  the amount of new trucks,rv's, boats, sxs, an other consumer goods i see daily is staggering. Most of these mills will be bought as for  hobby an as soon as people figure out its actual work they'll be done. Americans have a short attention span. The portable sawmill has become a consumer good not apiece of equipment for a business generally, not unlike the compact tractor.   

petefrom bearswamp

I know of an LT50 perkapillar for sale near me.
He reportedly has an offer but if it doesnt sell I will pay the fee and advertise here for him.
I dont think he is on this forum.
He is 85 with 2 bad hips and a wife with dementia
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

YellowHammer

Here's a good example I had a couple days ago.  A guy calls me from Florida and ask me if I sold sawmills.  I said, no, but why but does he ask?  He said he was building a huge house and was nearly $100,000 overrun because of the price of lumber and he wanted a small "starter" mill to saw his own lumber and finish his house.  He had some pine trees growing on the back yard, and was going to turn them into a house, PDQ.  He had no other plan than that, just that a sawmill would magically make lumber appear, so he wanted to buy one.

If many of the people who buy mills have the same mind set, then there will be an equally large surplus at the end of this and there will be lots of sawmills for sale with barely scratched paint.  I call it the toilet paper syndrome. The stuff was suddenly impossible to get, but people weren't pooping any more than usual.  It's just the way things are.

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

doc henderson

Pete, that would be a nice gesture, and a good time to sell if he is done with it.

dgdrls

Quote from: squarpeg on April 16, 2021, 11:33:03 AM
 Well finally got the money to buy a mill for this summer. Was going to buy the woodmizer LT15 on a trailer with power feed, or the LT28 with power feed.  They told me 55 weeks on the LT28 or 44 weeks on the LT15.. Why are they even advertising? I have to find something else.  Is this an industry issue? Thoughts on a different equivalent mill? Thanks
Look to FF sponsor EZ Boardwalk,
where are you located?  other options available
from smaller builders who are more regional
but every bit a quality machine

D

Magicman

Quote from: YellowHammer on April 17, 2021, 08:28:52 AMA guy calls me ........... and ask me if I sold sawmills.
I am getting those calls almost daily.  I offered mine again yesterday for $55K.  
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

squarpeg

QuoteLook to FF sponsor EZ Boardwalk,
where are you located?  other options available

Will look at that. I am in Vermont.

Tom King

doc henderson

MM things are so crazy, I would add 5k to that number every week.  at 75k someone will prob. buy it.  

stavebuyer

Quote from: squarpeg on April 17, 2021, 09:44:12 AM

QuoteLook to FF sponsor EZ Boardwalk,
where are you located?  other options available

Will look at that. I am in Vermont.
@squarpeg If I was in the Northeast and shopping for a manual mill the Thomas Band Mills built in Maine would be on my short list. Don't know if their waiting list is any shorter but they build a simple and sturdy mill.

mart

This all reminds me of the joke about buying a car in Russia.

Seems a man had worked hard and was diligent with his savings and could finally afford to buy a car. He went to the dealership and bought a car. The dealer told him it would be delivered two years from next Tuesday. The buyer asked if it would be morning or afternoon for the delivery. The dealer asked why it mattered. The buyer said, "because the plumber is coming that morning."
I was young and dumb once. I got over being young a long time ago.

LT15 w/19 hp - 24' bed
Branson 3725
Stihl MS362
Husqvarna 450

farmfromkansas

I am watching a late model lt40 on the Bigiron auction site.  It is nearly at new price, and has more than 2 weeks to go.  They sold a TK 1220 a few weeks ago for 8600.  About Cooks, called about power feed for my MP32, have yet to hear back.  They must be going crazy there with everyone ordering a mill.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

TKehl

Good, fast, cheap...  Pick two.  

I ordered an EZ Boardwalk in January and told July delivery.  I sold my little band mill and a circle mill to appease the bettervhalf, and this would give me something to look forward to after all of these 70-hour weeks I'm putting in at the J.O.B. (Have to put in the hours as the company can't seem to hire anyone. A lot of interviews scheduled, half the people never even show up.  Of the ones that have shown up, most turned down our offer or told us they'd already got another job in the couple days between interview and offer...)

With the overtime not letting up anytime soon, even though it was supposed to, I thought about selling my spot in line... Then I heard new orders place now with EZ Boardwalk are around 12 months out...  Guess I will keep it.    ;D
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

DixieReb31

So, I just paid out of pocket just under $25k for a LT35. I waited 20 weeks and took delivery this past Monday. Think I could sell it for $35k?  If so, Hmmmm?
WM LT35HD, John Deere 2040, John Deere 4044 w/FEL, Grapple, forks.

Woodpecker52

Local Catfish processing plant in Greenwood will pay a $5 bonus per hour all you have to do to get it is show up for work on time and work a 40 hour week, as of this date no one has qualified for the bonus.  No wonder big business wants
 to allow un fettered immigration.
Woodmizer LT-15, Ross Pony #1 planner, Ford 2600 tractor, Stihl chainsaws, Kubota rtv900 Kubota L3830F tractor

squarpeg

Ok in conclusion to the original post. I have contacted every sponsor and followed up on every recommendation sent me. With the exception of woodland mills which gave me a july 31 date.  I can not find a single new mill that would be ready till sometime late fall best. So that is the answer. The woodland mill seems a little smaller then what I had originally intended to buy. My guess is the project will not happen this summer unless I can find a used one. I have seen a few used but not driving 1500 miles for one either. So that's it. Thanks for the recommendations.

Tom King

I ordered two platform ladders from a Lowes Black Friday sale-still not here.

I ordered a new Welder about a month ago, with the supposed delivery date last Friday-not shipped yet.

Last week, I ordered a 6' zero turn mower-delivery predicted June 29th-we'll see.

squarpeg

Ok in conclusion to this thread. I could not find a new mill in stock to purchase. I spent the last 2 weeks attempting to buy used mills that came up of any kind that were not junk and missed out on most. Fortunately today I scored a Norwood 36HD with the trailer package. 7.5K and I do consider myself fortunate, seems to be in good shape. Now the fun begins.

VB-Milling

Quote from: squarpeg on May 05, 2021, 12:19:40 PM
Ok in conclusion to this thread. I could not find a new mill in stock to purchase. I spent the last 2 weeks attempting to buy used mills that came up of any kind that were not junk and missed out on most. Fortunately today I scored a Norwood 36HD with the trailer package. 7.5K and I do consider myself fortunate, seems to be in good shape. Now the fun begins.
Congratulations on navigating the market.  Good luck with your new Norwood.
HM126

maple flats

Quote from: btulloh on April 16, 2021, 01:50:38 PM
Mapleflats just put a swingmill up for sale on here. Wonder how long before somebody jumps on that.
Update, it lasted 3 weeks, sold to another FF member.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Oliver05262

Tom King, I also ordered a new welder (Miller Bluestar) on April 5. As of last Friday, AirGas store was told it would go on a truck this past Monday, but it's not here yet. Miller is trying their best to get them out the door, but they have the same issues as everyone else. I started to get mad about it but that won't do any good. It sucks that the price seems to have gone up $225 since I ordered it, though.
 The welding supply companies around here seem to have sold all of what little they had for floor stock. I would move up to a Bobcat or a Lincoln Ranger if anyone had one within a reasonable distance, but no luck there, either. My old Bluestar 6000 is still going, so I'm OK for now.
   Update——way late. I got one too many no-show delivery dates ☹️, so I went looking at other dealers for a welder. Maine Oxy had a Bobcat 225 up in Maine, and shipped it in their regular distribution to Rutland, so no shipping charges, and it now rides in the back of my service truck. I'm very happy with the machine and the way the process went, and I even saved a little on the cost as their price was better. 😀
Oliver Durand
"You can't do wrong by doing good"
It's OK to cry.
I never did say goodby to my invisible friend.
"I woke up still not dead again today" Willy
Don't use force-get a bigger hammer.

MrRastos

I've had a 12 foot bed extension on order from Woodmizer since February and have no idea when it will ever be done. Even blades and parts are a problem. I'm at the stage where I'm trying to find a blade profile that works for me and at this rate it will take years. It isn't just Woodmizer either. I've had a King 15 inch planer on order for three months and no idea if I'll have it this year. 

No one wants to work anymore. Sometimes I wonder why I keep on trying myself.
LT50G38 Wide, Hakki 1x37 easy, 1994 Kubota M8030, Farma 5.3- T8, Timberjack 225D, Kubota KX080-4 with Arbro 400 stroke head, IH 444 diesel, IH 434 gas, Volvo clunker dump truck, 2003 F550, 562 Husky, 555 Husky, 272 Husky. 261cm arctic Stihl.

Chuck White

Easy unemployment makes it to easy to decide not to work!

Figuring it out, I know a young man (2 years out of highschool) who is making about $25.00/hr based on an 8hr day on unemployment and won't take a job paying $18-20/hr.

A big share of the problem is the Gov't paying too much unemployment!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Nebraska

25.00 hr  say_what What a way to propagate entitlement. 

Nothing else I have to say belongs here...

Good luck with the new mill.

DixieReb31

Quote from: Nebraska on July 02, 2021, 10:36:06 AM
25.00 hr  say_what What a way to propagate entitlement.

Nothing else I have to say belongs here...

Good luck with the new mill.
Nothing else you have to say belongs here?  Meet you at the General forum page.
WM LT35HD, John Deere 2040, John Deere 4044 w/FEL, Grapple, forks.

Nebraska

I was  probably  deeper down than general, my thoughts were restricted in nature.... ;)

Gere Flewelling

I attended the NE Forest Equipment Expo in Bangor Maine last Friday.  Not many bandsaw mills represented there this year.  I did talk to Jon Thomas from Thomas Bandsaw Mills trying to put a plug in for the Forestry Forum.  I specifically asked him what his build times were for new mills as "build times" are often talked about here on the Forum.  He said the small mill is 7 months, the middle mill is 6 months, and the large mill he has in stock.  No time frame on edgers.  He said his biggest holdup is labor.  Parts not so much.  The ship yard in Bath is stealing employees from everywhere in Maine with promises of big pay and benefits that the small guys can't compete with.  
Old 🚒 Fireman and Snow Cat Repairman (retired)
Matthew 6:3-4

ajsawyer

Quote from: John S on April 16, 2021, 03:42:44 PM
I tested positive on Tuesday, and am pretty sure that I am not the only one here who has.  Hoping to get back in the swing of things by the end of next week.  The human element is what these delays in manufacturing started with.  Good luck to all!
That and the tax on inventory that prevents companies from stockpiling product when they can get it "just in time." 
https://taxfoundation.org/state-business-inventory-tax-2021/

moodnacreek

Circle mills used go cheap for those who like to work hard.

mattgancz

EZ Boardwalk.  I am in Vermont, and run an EZ Boardwalk Model 40.  Happy to let you see it run.

Breezybrzez

Called Woodmizer this past week and Gary in sales told me they're at 18 months for a lt40 super.... Woof..... :o 

Peter Drouin

That's a long time,, What kind of $$$ are they asking now for one?
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Breezybrzez

Just a pinch over 50k right now. I really wish I would have splurged for hydraulics a few years ago when I ordered my Lt28 lol

boonesyard

I ordered an LT70. I'll be eligible for social security June 0f 2025, I'm thinking the new 70 and SS will show up about the same time  :D. 
LT50 wide
Riehl Steel Edger
iDRY Standard kiln
BMS 250/BMT 250
JD 4520 w/FEL
Cat TH255 Telehandler
lots of support equipment and not enough time

"I ain't here for a long time, I'm here for a good time"

barbender

I can't help but think that a lot of orders will get canceled as the economy slows down. I was visiting with my BIL last night, he works for a large fishouse manufacturer (more like rv campers, $50,000+ units) they went from producing units that were sold before they were built to now having $3 million worth of inventory on the lot. They already shut one of three production plants down. 

Breezybrzez

Barbender I agree, I think it has to slow down at some point. At my day job working for the Cat dealer here we went from no on hand inventory and prepping machines to deliver immediately to the customers as soon as it arrived from the factory, to currently stockpiling some items. Hopefully the cash buyer will be able to get some deals at some point in time soon.

DanMc

I ordered an LT35HD25G on 2/14/2022.  Just called WM main office for an update.  They're not making any definitive predictions on delivery time, but with a little pestering he said that based on my order date, they have been running about 70 weeks, so I'm out to July or August as a swag.

People started hearing that I was getting a new mill and began inquiring about my Woodland HM-126.  I caved in and agreed to sell it to a friend for a little more than I paid for it.  I'm going to be super busy all summer doing an addition on the NH place, so won't have much time to mill logs anyway.  

Any time I've seen a Woodmizer at a fair, it has been an awe inspiring experience.  To own one will be a dream come true.  
LT35HDG25
JD 4600, JD2210, JD332 tractors.
28 acres of trees, Still have all 10 fingers.
Jesus is Lord.

bigD

i was at timberking in kansas city a month or so ago and they had new ones (a bunch)
 just sitting there

doc henderson

were they for sale or waiting for pickup?  I think they are a ways out as well.

SawyerTed

Just counted- 70 weeks would be next week for my LT 50.   Not holding my breath. 

Last vague report I got made it sound like July or August.   
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

DanMc

LT35HDG25
Jesus is Lord.

SawyerTed

Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

WDFL

A few months back WM had a post on the FB WM Owners site that their holdup was the engines.   They said Kohler had opened a second line in their Mississippi factory and was shipping out as quick as possible.

Having worked in manufacturing I cannot blame WM for not expanding their production capacity.   If anything they need to be prepared for getting this backorder slug out and then dealing with a slowdown.
LT15(S) w/GO Option
Kubota L2501 HST w/Grapple
Collector of antique 2-cylinder John Deere tractors

Bruno of NH

There are new hydraulic mills for sale you can buy right now.
It all depends on which brand you want .
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

SawyerTed

No blame on Woodmizer from me.  I understand why they wouldn't increase production by adding shifts or expanding factories.  It's just a demand bubble sure to pop. 

If Woodmizer expanded to meet demand faster, prices would likely have to go up beyond what they have.  

I put myself in this situation....

fluidpowerpro

In my past life working for a distributor, many of the items we sold had long lead times, sometimes as long as 80 weeks. Our customers certainly didn't like that however it was beyond our control. All we could do was to be honest up front so if they did order, they knew what to expect.
Once the order was placed, we then spent a lot of time tracking the order to make sure the acknowledged delivery date was met.
When lead times are extended, the saying ,"the squeaky wheel gets the grease" is even more true, so it was up to us to squeak on behalf of our customers.
For that reason, I would check on your order from time to time.  As the expected delivery date approaches, it's not unreasonable to ask for more specific information. Is it in production? If not, when will it start? Etc,etc. If you're not squeaking, and someone else is, they will likely get the grease before you do.
Change is hard....
Especially when a jar full of it falls off the top shelf and hits your head!

Southside

As a producer I will say that can backfire, sometimes a customer is more work than they are worth, so tread carefully. 
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

SawyerTed

There's squeaking and then there's squealing.  

The squeaky wheel approach assumes that the vendor/manufacturer can do something "extra" to remedy the situation or that some sort of preferential treatment can be extended.  

Carolinas Saw and Service, Woodmizer ASC, is well aware I'm waiting on a mill.  There's  high confidence that Woodmizer is working the list in FCFS order.  

Southside

JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

fluidpowerpro

I'm not saying that you become a pain.
 Asking about when to expect delivery is not unreasonable. 
Change is hard....
Especially when a jar full of it falls off the top shelf and hits your head!

doc henderson

post covid, we are still suffering at work.  I got to work yesterday at 7 with 10 of our 18 beds full with people waiting to be admitted.  1 to transfer, and one waiting for nursing home.  As people came in, we had no where to put new patients cause beds were full.  We admitted another 10 through the day.  floor beds were full and wait room full.  people with minor issues seen in the waiting rom, or triage.  We like many other institutions stopped using travel nurses.  I use caution when getting riled at other businesses as I know how frustrating and impossible it is at my work.  I am sure if they could fill your order today, they would.  If they are that far behind, then if you get one early, then someone else waits longer.  by law we cannot suggest they go somewhere else.

WV Sawmiller

Lead times for parts processing and shipping has also been affected at the main office in Indianapolis. The last couple of times I ordered urgent parts due to a breakdown it took 2-3 days before they shipped even when they verified they had the part on hand/in stock. Previously IIRC any such part ordered in the morning shipped that same day. To get same day shipping now it seems you have to pay an expedited shipping fee. 

The alternative, where possible, seems to be to order from the branch offices where, if they have the part on hand, they can often still ship the same day if you call them in the morning hours. Several times Indy did not have the part on hand and I had to go to the branch offices to get it anyway.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Beavertooth

There are a lot of used sawmills for sale on Facebook marketplace and other places now. Where last year at this time it was hard to even find a used one and any sawmill that did go up for sale was instantly gone basically. Now more people definitely are getting rid of them seems like every week and and a lot of them are just setting there. So a good time to be seriously looking at used ones over new. 
2007 LT70 Remote Station 62hp cat.

Stephen1

That is so correct, now we are getting choice. used ones for sale, more used equipment is going up sale, there are  more houses up for sale. Results in  more balanced pricing for everything. 
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

DanMc

Check out this email that just came from WM!!  Yikes, this is getting real!  Attached was a link to the invoice for my machine.  My heart rate just went up.

Good afternoon, We want to send out a courtesy email regarding your LT35 Hydraulic. We want to make sure everything on your order is correct or if there were things you wanted to add or take away. Also want to let you know that mill is about to go through manufacturing process within next few months, so seeing if you are still on board on wanting the mill when ready. Give us a call at 800-553-0182, if you have questions or are able to confirm.    Thank you, Wood-Mizer Sales Team

LT35HDG25
Jesus is Lord.

SpikeInOregon

After lurking around, gaining tons of knowledge, reading stories & their pictures, over the last year plus, I decided it to make this my first post to share a story and maybe someone won't feel as bad about lead times on mill deliveries.
Some of the lead times have been long. I will be close to 2 years at the time I will take delivery of an LT35 ordered on 6/15/21.  The PDX dealer shows the mill is completed and is waiting for shipping from WM.  I'm looking forward to making beautiful things out of plain ol' trees.

In March of 2021 a 175+ year old Ponderosa tree fell on my house from a windstorm. It was my final sign that said: Leave this business. (Adult foster home)
Portable mills are something I'd had an interest for years after seeing a few in action on NFS lands milling downed trees.  I ordered and purchased an overseas mill in Portland, OR since WM didn't have any inventory. With the crated cheap mill loaded on my truck, I visited WM Portland and used the Federal Stimulus $1200 to order an LT15 Wide on a trailer and LT35 with a later delivery date. The idea was to use the 15 and sell when the 35 arrives. Lead time for the 15 was March to May 2022 and Oct to Nov 22 for the LT35.  The LT15 arrived 6 months late in late Nov 22, but I was still recovering from hernia issues and only unloaded the crates in my shop hoping to get things assembled in Jan 2023.

However, on Jan 12, I get a call and voicemail that the LT 35 is ready to go, except, on Friday January 13th at 4AM, I have a flu fire at my house & it becomes unlivable.  Result is that I had prioritize the fire and money issues and delay the 35 for a few weeks and allocate it to another person but wires were crossed and weeks transposed to months.  Fortunately, I was able to sell the 15 in Feb before even assembling it, made a couple of extra $'s to contribute to upgrades on the 35.  It would have been great to getting milling and a good start to another new career, including making some lumber for my home rebuild, but sometimes we need to realize it not always within 'Our' timing.  Sometimes we're taught patience without knowing it.  I used the extra time to polish my business model and prep the property for this new venture.

Thanks again for the knowledge shared in the sawmilling business and the experiences people have had.  It helps to recognize potential issues that may arise.

Tip??.. Had a log which was also used as a sign hanger... Lots of nails, screws, and two 8" spikes that would have destroyed a blade.  My metal detector was a great tool to have around for that purpose or using the chainsaw.  It might even be good for the 'Busy Body' customer that wants something to do, and check their logs for metal.
If you can't do it, Find a way!  G.Selby - Baseball Coach.

Stephen1

Welcome SpikeInOregon thanks for posting your storey. 
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

DanMc

Welcome!!!

Is the spike in your name connected to the spikes in the log?
LT35HDG25
Jesus is Lord.

SawyerTed

Quote from: Beavertooth on May 19, 2023, 10:12:03 AM
There are a lot of used sawmills for sale on Facebook marketplace and other places now. Where last year at this time it was hard to even find a used one and any sawmill that did go up for sale was instantly gone basically. Now more people definitely are getting rid of them seems like every week and and a lot of them are just setting there. So a good time to be seriously looking at used ones over new.
Y'all are seeing used mills I'm not seeing.  
FB Marketplace around here isn't showing many mills for sale.  The ones that are are hobbyist mills.  
Sawmill Exchange isn't showing much - 1 LT35; 1 Baker stationary (looks like a good deal) but not much else.  

WDFL

Ted, look at the "Woodmizer Owners" page.   There's been a few mills on there this month already, including a LX55 someone's trying to flip, but I also saw a decent price on an older LT40, plus a newer LT40 that also seemed a good price.  The ones priced well seem to move very quickly.

Spike - great story and welcome, post pics of your mill when you get it.  
LT15(S) w/GO Option
Kubota L2501 HST w/Grapple
Collector of antique 2-cylinder John Deere tractors

SpikeInOregon

Quote from: DanMc on May 22, 2023, 12:13:00 PM
Welcome!!!

Is the spike in your name connected to the spikes in the log?
It either had to do with taking a spike elk 35ish years ago or something about 'hard as steel' but not sure which exactly.  Have an engineer friend who coins pet names for everyone and is where Spike originated.  It's just stuck over the years. Others have names like Maggot, Fembot, Jetro, Chuckie, Sheela (an Australian friend), and my dog named Riley is named Riley Factor.  There are others I probably can't post but at least mine is socially acceptable!
I've run into a few large spikes/nails that are 8-10" long and 3/8 - 1/2" diameter while doing firewood duties with the chainsaw and wood splitter that were encased well inside the tree.  Casually checking some logs before putting them on the practice mill with a metal detector, I found 1 had pieces of old fencing where the bark had grown over but was also a tree near a property line and would explain the metal.
Who knows, using a metal detector under the Ol' Oak Tree, that needed cut down, and you may find change from pockets, earrings, bracelets, necklaces, pocket knives, silverware, metal junk, or ??
If you can't do it, Find a way!  G.Selby - Baseball Coach.

TxTIG

Ordered an LT70 Aug 2021 and was told 72 week lead time.  Been checking in with WM every month since week 72 passed and this week had a bit a possible good news.  My mill is supposed to be built end of June and delivery by mid July if.......the engines are delivered.  

DanMc

It will be such a treat to see new mills being delivered!
LT35HDG25
Jesus is Lord.

SawyerTed

Quote from: DanMc on May 20, 2023, 09:59:54 AM
Check out this email that just came from WM!!  Yikes, this is getting real!  Attached was a link to the invoice for my machine.  My heart rate just went up.

Good afternoon, We want to send out a courtesy email regarding your LT35 Hydraulic. We want to make sure everything on your order is correct or if there were things you wanted to add or take away. Also want to let you know that mill is about to go through manufacturing process within next few months, so seeing if you are still on board on wanting the mill when ready. Give us a call at 800-553-0182, if you have questions or are able to confirm.    Thank you, Wood-Mizer Sales Team
Got essentially the same message on Wednesday. 
I called to ask what the expected delivery date would be?  "In two months" was the answer.  Couldn't nail the guy down to by August 1  :D.   

The wait continues.   Probably best if arrives for the start of the fall sawing season anyway (he said philosophically).  

SawyerTed

Got a call from Carolina Saw & Service, Woodmizer Carolina's ASC, a minute ago.  Joe was optimistic that it could be sooner on the mill - maybe measured in weeks versus months.  I'm hopeful but going on with life. 

That's a benefit of maintaining a good working relationship with the dealer.  I will need that relationship in the future when I need support.  

Southside

Ted, all you have to do is ask for a hug, we will give you support too.   :D
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

SawyerTed

:D :D You can't say that to just anybody and get away with it anymore!   :D :D

Thanks Jim. 

TimW

Quote from: TxTIG on May 24, 2023, 08:21:55 PM
Ordered an LT70 Aug 2021 and was told 72 week lead time.  Been checking in with WM every month since week 72 passed and this week had a bit a possible good news.  My mill is supposed to be built end of June and delivery by mid July if.......the engines are delivered.  
Welcome to FF.  Where in Texas are you located?
         hugs,  Brandi
Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader/backhoe and a Caterpiller E70 Excavator.  My mill is a Woodmizer LT40HD Wide 35hp Yanmar Diesel. An old Lull 644D-34 called Bull

Stephen1

TxTIG

Quote from: Bindian on May 27, 2023, 02:26:39 PM
Quote from: TxTIG on May 24, 2023, 08:21:55 PM
Welcome to FF.  Where in Texas are you located?
        hugs,  Brandi
I am north of Ft Worth.  Now after following up with Woodmizer today they advised that production is not scheduled yet so still on indefinite hold.  Their worn out mantra is supply chain issues.  Just recently ordered a laser cutter (import model from China) and from order to delivery was just 3 months.  I am now at week 88.  Has anyone here received their LT70?  

Southside

It's not a worn out mantra. Found out yesterday that some of our dairy equipment is at least a 14 month order wait now, it used to be 4-6 weeks, and we are basically talking about big stainless steel pots with fancy recording devices on them. 
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Stephen1

I have been waiting 2 weeks for my Towing company to pick up 3 logs. He is waiting for parts for his truck. We still have a supply chain issues. It is not getting any better sooner. My daughter ordered a new GMC truck and it is 1 year wait still. 

Thank You Sponsors!