iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

International s8

Started by 70amxguy, April 06, 2021, 10:28:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

70amxguy

Ok so here it goes.  First post. Im a bit of a hobbyist and purchased an ih s8 with the intent of pulling firewood.  This thing has sat for what seems to be an eternity.  The previous owner stated that when started the clutch on the winch is stuck fast from setting.  Doing some research it seems that gearmatic 119's dont like to sit around.  No problem i figured being a mechanic this would be easy.  Well apparently i was sadly mistaken lol pulled cover off and it not being functional currently im not sure where to start.  Got both brake bands loose as they were also stuck fast.  Also got outer clutch band off but the little fulcrum/cantilever for the inside clutch band is rusted fast and i dont want to brake anything.  Im open for opinions or any kind of help would be greatly appreciated here seeing as im at a stand still.  Tried looking at breakdown diagrams but doesnt seem to be much info out there on the 119.  Is there a lot of difference between this and the model 19.  I didnt even dig into the hydraulic portion of the nightmare yet but im fairly certain worst case scenario i can bore the cylinders and press liners back into the bores since they look awful from a glance.   Thanks guys!! 

bushmechanic

Well if you have a problematic winch then your going to get real personal with it lol. Your right about it not liking to sit still, cover when not in use with a tarp. The difference between a 19 and a 119 is that one of them is a completely sealed and the other is not. You need to remove all the bands and clutches and clean the rust off the drum, both sides. The clutches are inside the drum and there are two of them, held on with bolts and cam washers to adjust the bands to the drum clearance. There are two brake bands on the outside of the drum, these are spring applied and hydraulic released. To remove those you need to remove the spring, heavy cover underneath with two bolts. Then pull out the pins and get the bands out. Hope this answers some of your questions.

Thank You Sponsors!