iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Identifying Oaks

Started by WDH, April 12, 2007, 11:25:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GW

metalspinner

I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

GW

8) :) 8) :) 8)

Thank goodness. I thought I might have to point out the title of this thread. ;D

metalspinner

I was beginning to wonder where this thread was heading. :D 8)
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

SwampDonkey

Quote from: GW on August 07, 2007, 06:19:06 PM
8) :) 8) :) 8)

Thank goodness. I thought I might have to point out the title of this thread. ;D

:D :D :D Sneaky guy. Making us read topics.  dangle_smiley
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Mooseherder

Got one of doze too but ain't sacrificing for smoke.
This one has acorns budding now.

WDH

Sneaky, sneaky, sneaky.......... ;).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

GW

I asked the question on page 2 of this thread. Check out the post at the top of the page. :D

Lanier_Lurker

I should have known.   :(

I love live oaks.  I grew up in the northern part of the live oak belt in Lee County.  Large old live oaks are some of the best climbing trees there are in the world - especially when they have the huge horizontal limbs.

Sadly, 3 of the ancient live oaks I've known for most of my life have perished under their own weight.  They split apart and died, although one of them has a living portion that is still standing.  My dad has one by his driveway that has a dbh between 6' and 7'.

Mooseherder

Annuder trick question with a pic. :D
What flavor is it?

WDH

Vanilla oak :).  Sure isn't strawberry or raspberry :D.  Ahh, look at that revolute leaf.  Look at that significant color contrast between the upper side and lower side.  Look at that knobby acorn cup.  Sure looks like a lively specimen to me ;).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Mooseherder

What a lively description. ;)

SwampDonkey

I was just noticing on my white oak tree that I have a lot of tiny undeveloped acorns about 1/8" wide. I did not see any male pollen flowers on the tree this spring. So, I am assuming these acorns will be aborted with the leaves. The leaves are definitely white oak and dark green above, paler below, no pubescence. I know it is not bur oak. The tree came from southern NH (Exitor) as a seedling. It has beautiful scarlet foliage in the fall, much more colorful than our native red oak.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

limbrat

Are the live oaks in dry central texas the same as the live oaks along the southeastern coast?
ben

WDH

NO!!!!!!

Have you ever seen an oak branch that was twice as long as the tree is tall ???.

Lanier_Lurker

Lanier_Lurker

In Lee County, GA.

On the northern edge of the southeastern live oak range.

I used to climb that sucker when I was a kid.

You could run flat out along the limbs on this thing.  It was one fun tree to climb on.

SwampDonkey

Quote from: WDH on August 13, 2007, 10:49:18 PM

Have you ever seen an oak branch that was twice as long as the tree is tall ???.

Sounds like suckered beech in heavy shade. Or pasture grown tamarack.  ;D

limbrat

Maybe i have seen them longer than the tree is tall for sure. Long enough to touch the ground twenty ft. from the tip. there are some on Avery Isle like that.
The reason i asked was cause i vaguely remember a interview with Barbra Bush George seniors wife.Were she had chose one of them tortured looking oaks to plant in washington, but was told that in the wetter climate it would not grow the way that she expected.So she picked something else.
ben

Thank You Sponsors!